Asus P5s800-vm BIOS access failure

Help Required: History> I have recently upgraged my 2005 asus motherboard from 256 to 1meg DDR. All worked great, then I attempted to upgrade the video card from the existing PCI onboard to a AGP Sparkle Geforce FX 5200 256 DDR. Followed the install instructions and was able to view the new AGP card specs at boot up. Used windows XP sp3 for that evening and continued using all my existing browsers and utilities. Downloaded the latest NVIDIA drivers for the card all OK. Shut system down last evening (routine). Today I can't get windows to inteface with the graphic card.Upon startup I see sata primary not found and sata secondary not found but I can't enter the bios to reset the I/O. Tried the cmos reset and the lithium battery pull method...but still can't access the bios to check the PCI/AGP setting or the clock settings.On reboot there is power and sound.. the keyboard,CD drive,monitor all illuminate.I get 4 short beeps and then loose the windows xp boot.

I won't give to a computer interface device box......." Dan Starke The Good Guy's Fox TV"

DH

The beep code you have means that the system timer is inoperable which indicates that your motherboard has failed.

All I can suggest is that you remove the new card and see if the system will then boot up.

Beep codes

Thank you for your support.
Do you or anyone reading this know or have all the ASUS motherboard beep code sequences that may help me with troubleshooting .

Kindest regards,

dhunt25

http://vip.asus.com/forum/view.aspx...d_id=1&model=P5N-E+SLI&page=1&SLanguage=en-us

This list is as close as I could get. The only deviation from this may occur if your PC is OEM as the manufacturer may have changed the Beep codes in the Bios. You would need to go to the PC's manufacturers site to get any further information. The codes relate directly to the Bios rather than the mobo, if it is not an OEM PC then this list is correct.

If this list is accurate then, unfortunately, as I said your motherboard has developed a fault.

Correct diag

Thank you, for the reply....I started working my way back to the original working configuration and drivers and got the P5S800 running again and then installed the AGP card and drivers and got the beep error code.
Just wondering if I were to upgrade my old 2007 BIOS to the latest from the ASUS ....would this NVIVIA graphics card work?
Anyhow....I'm happy to resurrect the motherboard.....seeing that theres few P5S's around.

Kindest Regards,

Well done, happy for you that the motherboard is OK obviously that beep code wasn't 100% accurate.

Upgrading the Bios may fix this problem, it may also be worth looking to see if there are any updates for the mobo chipset. Obviously there is an incompatability problem with either the graphics card or its driver.

A final thought on this is to look in device manager and check that the onboard graphics has been disabled, you should not be able to see it. If it is still there, there should be an option in the Bios to disable it, probably in the Peripherals menu.

Back