Threadripper 7980x Build - occasional black screen?

Squid Surprise

Hey everyone,
Recently upgraded my old Intel 5960x to a Threadripper 7980x and have to say I've been enjoying it but...

Last night the fans all of a sudden went into overdrive and my screen went black. I assumed it was my video card (ASUS Strix 4090) as the PC still seemed to be running. Rebooted - but after a minute or so, same thing... reset BIOS to defaults, unplugged and reseated GPU, same thing...

Turned PC off (it was 2am by this point) and went to bed...

Today... no issues... so I'm wondering... could it have simply been overheating? Gonna leave it on to test, but am I missing something obvious?

PC Full Specs :
AMD Ryzen 7980X
ASUS Pro WS TRX50-SAGE WIFIE
Phanteks Glacier One 360D30 DRGB 360mm AIO
ASUS ROG Strix GeForce RTX 4090
Kingston FURY Renegade - 64GB (16GBx4) DDR5/6800MHz RDIMM ECC
Crucial T700 Series 2TB (x2 - RAID 0) (Boot Drive: Win 11 Pro)
Thermaltake Toughpower GF3 1650W

Like you said, putting GPU on test is good idea.

Another possible thing is AIO water cooler. There might be problems with water flow and/or contact on CPU. I assume case cooling is OK.

Also software problem is possible. Right after installing OS, there is a lot going on background and it may cause interesting issues.

Like you said, putting GPU on test is good idea.

Another possible thing is AIO water cooler. There might be problems with water flow and/or contact on CPU. I assume case cooling is OK.

Also software problem is possible. Right after installing OS, there is a lot going on background and it may cause interesting issues.
I’m leaning GPU - but it might have also been the Asus AI Overclock… went back to defaults and am letting it run… been 24 hours and no black screen…will try manually tweaking settings a bit at a time later on…

It WAS the GPU - more precisely, it was the power cable being slightly bent and not allowing full voltage... installed anti-sag bracket and "uncrimped" the cable... no black screen since then... will continue to stress test but I think everything is good...

Now, if only I could make the fan on my Asus Hyper M.2 card correlate to the SSDs inside, instead of the CPU or Motherboard temp... fan is SO loud!!

Hey everyone,
Recently upgraded my old Intel 5960x to a Threadripper 7980x and have to say I've been enjoying it but...

Last night the fans all of a sudden went into overdrive and my screen went black. I assumed it was my video card (ASUS Strix 4090) as the PC still seemed to be running. Rebooted - but after a minute or so, same thing... reset BIOS to defaults, unplugged and reseated GPU, same thing...

Turned PC off (it was 2am by this point) and went to bed...

Today... no issues... so I'm wondering... could it have simply been overheating? Gonna leave it on to test, but am I missing something obvious?

PC Full Specs :
AMD Ryzen 7980X
ASUS Pro WS TRX50-SAGE WIFIE
Phanteks Glacier One 360D30 DRGB 360mm AIO
ASUS ROG Strix GeForce RTX 4090
Kingston FURY Renegade - 64GB (16GBx4) DDR5/6800MHz RDIMM ECC
Crucial T700 Series 2TB (x2 - RAID 0) (Boot Drive: Win 11 Pro)
Thermaltake Toughpower GF3 1650W
It could be overheating, but there are a couple other things to check:
  1. Event Viewer: Check your Windows Event Viewer for any error messages around the time of the crash. This might give a clue about what caused it.
  2. Stress Test: Run a stress test on your CPU and GPU to see if it crashes again under load. This will help isolate if it's overheating or something else.
If those don't reveal anything, it might be worth checking for a BIOS update for your motherboard. But overheating is a good possibility with such a powerful system. Monitor your temps while gaming and see if they get excessively high. Good luck!

It could be overheating, but there are a couple other things to check:
  1. Event Viewer: Check your Windows Event Viewer for any error messages around the time of the crash. This might give a clue about what caused it.
  2. Stress Test: Run a stress test on your CPU and GPU to see if it crashes again under load. This will help isolate if it's overheating or something else.
If those don't reveal anything, it might be worth checking for a BIOS update for your motherboard. But overheating is a good possibility with such a powerful system. Monitor your temps while gaming and see if they get excessively high. Good luck!
You didn’t read the rest of the posts - but thanks!
It was the GPU after all :)

Back