Asus, Philips and others face a combined €111 million for price fixing

Cal Jeffrey

Staff member
Big quote: "As a result of the actions taken by these four companies, millions of European consumers faced higher prices for kitchen appliances, hair dryers, notebook computers, headphones and many other products," said Margrethe Vestager, commissioner in charge of the EU's competition policy.

It was less than a week ago that the EU slapped Google with a $5 billion fine for antitrust violations. Now the European Commission has handed down another steep penalty to four electronics manufacturers. The EU claims that the companies were involved in a price-fixing scheme and is fining them a combined total of 111 million euros (roughly $130 million US).

The European Commission claims that Asus, Denon & Marantz, Phillips, and Pioneer prevented online retailers from setting lower prices on their products. If online sellers attempted to offer anything but the MSRP, the companies would threaten the retailer with sanctions.

“Asus, Denon & Marantz, Philips, and Pioneer engaged in so-called 'fixed or minimum resale price maintenance (RPM)' by restricting the ability of their online retailers to set their own retail prices for widely used consumer electronics products such as kitchen appliances, notebooks, and hi-fi products,” said the commission in a press release. “If those retailers did not follow the prices requested by manufacturers, they faced threats or sanctions such as blocking of supplies.”

"Article 101 TFEU prohibits agreements between undertakings and decisions of associations of undertakings that prevent, restrict or distort competition within the EU's Single Market."

The OEMs allegedly used software to track prices of their products at online retailers. If the algorithms alerted them to decreases, they would reportedly intervene. These actions led to higher priced appliances for the consumer where they would have otherwise received a discount. This practice is illegal under EU antitrust rules.

“Our decisions today show that EU competition rules serve to protect consumers where companies stand in the way of more price competition and better choice,” said Commissioner Margrethe Vestager in a statement.

The violations were said to have occurred between 2011 and 2015. All four companies have cooperated with the EU and have had their fines reduced 40-50 percent. Asus got hit with the biggest penalty equalling €63.5 million. Phillips was second with a €29.8 million fine. Pioneer owes €10.1 million, and Denon & Marantz got off light with only a €7.7 million slap on the wrist.

Permalink to story.

The EU...a joke determined to keep the people down and in their place
Actually I might agree with you when it comes to google fine, but in this case its a clear breach of rules, capitalism is not for the companies, but rather for the consumer, by providing access to "free" market. the key word being Free.
and these companies have clearly violated the consumer rights when it comes to that. ( NOW ONLY IF THEY DO THIS FOR RAM)

These things happen all the time. its nothing new. But as you just read, the companies fines got heavily reduced. At the end of the day, they are just slaps on the wrist compared to what they actually made because the these deals.
Believe me though that these companies likely had all this planned out also. no major company would do this without thinking about the possible fines that one would have to pay let alone doing it as group.
They made plenty of money n these fine are nothing more than a joke.

also this crap goes on heavily in the US but nothing ever happens here. why, cause money talks n US companies have a lot of it. I love this country but corporations are the real crooks. They lie, steal and even kill ppl. Welcome to the American dream, where money can payoff anyone.

Honestly, I dont like EU, mainly because the immigrant crisis and how they want to push smaller countries with anti-immigration attitude into the corner for that. But fining corporations for exploiting their monopoles, why not? Who will do it when not them? And IMO, I agree with Google¨s fine, they have monopole and the whole market with smartphones sucks because of Google. If you want to have full control over phone, you need to root the phone, which is on the other side restricted more and more, you cant replace Google Store etc, Google pushes their own Google Play Service dependent APIs to Apps developers, so you are absolutely dependent on them. Look how some Google webapps goes badly in other web browsers!
Just imagine that you would buy a phone, and you would/could install whatever OS you would like! Just like PCs.

Nice to see that EU step up against price fixing, but other than them nobody will see money from it.
Customer still facing probably a new price fixing and never get back their money which was wrongfully taken because of price fixing.
Fight for the ppl who has to pay for these, not to raise the budget of their own (EU).

These things happen all the time. its nothing new. But as you just read, the companies fines got heavily reduced. At the end of the day, they are just slaps on the wrist compared to what they actually made because the these deals.

What you misunderstand of EC fines is that they're warnings not punishments, and they are based on profit made.

It's 111mil this time. Do it again and next time it'll be 400mil. The fines exist to discourage anti-competitive practices not to discourage business.

Frankly, if the US and other countries would adhere to this law it would be FAR better for consumers by forcing companies to compete on an equal footing. It's only when the political machine bows down to industry through graft and other devices of influence do we all get the shaft.

Companies do shady **** to earn more money, EU takes a portion of it as a fine, they both get something but the consumer that got screwed get's nothing.

Companies do shady **** to earn more money, EU takes a portion of it as a fine, they both get something but the consumer that got screwed get's nothing.
Except the satisfaction from knowing that said practices won't be tolerated and they are constantly monitoring for the same end, if you want to start a class action suit then you are in your right to do so, I'm pretty sure a lot of people are considering it now as they were already found guilty.

What you misunderstand of EC fines is that they're warnings not punishments, and they are based on profit made.

It's 111mil this time. Do it again and next time it'll be 400mil. The fines exist to discourage anti-competitive practices not to discourage business.
No your missing the point as these fines do nothing to these major companies when they all make Billions. It's nothing at the end of the day. The fines are a joke.
Google being slapped with a 5 Billion fine by the EU, that's a statement but we all know Google will appeal and likely pay a very small amount. They will in the end work out some type of deal.

I have officially cut the cord! I'm in the uk so, I have notified BBC that I no longer need a license, I my virgin media account is closed, and my only connection to the internet is via TalkTalk...

My Internet package (minimum package) is £17 a month (no setup fees or phone line rental!!)
My Netflix Account is £7.99 a month.

So my total cost for staying connected while cutting the cord is £24.99

I save approximately £200 a year from cord cutting :)

Except the satisfaction from knowing that said practices won't be tolerated and they are constantly monitoring for the same end, if you want to start a class action suit then you are in your right to do so, I'm pretty sure a lot of people are considering it now as they were already found guilty.
That's what should happen but it usually is just a slap on the wrist, some times passes and they start doing shady practices again.

Back