Asus ROG Strix Scar G733 Review: RTX 3080 + Ryzen 9 + 360Hz display

My current laptop has a GTX 1080 with 32GB DDR4 and SSD storage.

I never felt the need for the 2000 series because Ray Tracing didn't seem logical to me on a laptop display for casual gaming.

I do however feel the technology has matured and that the 3070 (or higher) will be in my next laptop, unless I end up waiting for the 4000 series.

I feel a high end laptop should not be utilising a 1080p now. While this model comes with a 360Hz refresh rate, the problem with a laptop is that we are a lot more CPU bound than on a desktop running the same AMD or Intel processor. On a desktop, we are mostly CPU bound even on the top end processors running around 5Ghz, not to mention the mobile processor that runs at much slower sustained clock speed. To make matters worst, Nvidia GPUs with their software scheduler runs into CPU bottleneck faster, which is why I feel the mobile RTX 3080 fares badly against the desktop RTX 3070 @ 1080p, even with the highest TGP.

What this review fails to explain is how the lack of a mux switch impairs the Asus performance. This means that Optimus power saving is always enabled. Unlike the MSI which has no such performance penalty. The lack of a mux switch can be bypassed by connecting to an external monitor.

The Asus is still a good laptop (if you can find it in stock, especially the cheaper Strix version). Gizmosliptech on youtube explains the situation in detail. See below starting around 9:15:

What this review fails to explain is how the lack of a mux switch impairs the Asus performance. This means that Optimus power saving is always enabled. Unlike the MSI which has no such performance penalty. The lack of a mux switch can be bypassed by connecting to an external monitor.

The Asus is still a good laptop (if you can find it in stock, especially the cheaper Strix version). Gizmosliptech on youtube explains the situation in detail. See below starting around 9:15:
Indeed, this year Asus' laptop are pathetic, they lack HDMI 2.1, don't have advanced optimus or MUX switch and don't push the GPUs high enough the 3080 can go to 165w.
Another problem connecting directly to a monitor you lose G-Sync.

Indeed, this year Asus' laptop are pathetic, they lack HDMI 2.1, don't have advanced optimus or MUX switch and don't push the GPUs high enough the 3080 can go to 165w.
I'm just waiting for something that can outperform my current 2-year-old laptop.
Saying that the 3000 m RTX series has been neutered is an understatement.

But one thing, if a laptop is equipped with static Optimus connecting an external monitor will allow G-Sync not lose it.

Interesting that you call ASUS laptops "pathetic" while replying to a post containing a video from a reviewer who was very much impressed with the machine being tested. I have that notebook ($1799 17" ROG Strix with 5900HX/3070), and nothing really comes close to it's performance at that price (even with the Optimus limitation). Add dual rank memory for a couple $hundred, and performance improves very noticeably. One of the best purchases I've ever made.

Interesting that you call ASUS laptops "pathetic" while replying to a post containing a video from a reviewer who was very much impressed with the machine being tested. I have that notebook ($1799 17" ROG Strix with 5900HX/3070), and nothing really comes close to it's performance at that price (even with the Optimus limitation). Add dual rank memory for a couple $hundred, and performance improves very noticeably. One of the best purchases I've ever made.
I like ASUS laptops myself. I had a ROG Strix GL-703GS with an i7-8750H and a full desktop (135 watt) 1070 before my current machine. The only thing I don't like about ASUS gaming laptops is they are not very open to tweaking. I have an MSI now and the BIOS has every setting we would expect from a performance desktop motherboard.

I just find the "RGB" lighting on (not just here but most other new hardware too) the chassis childish, useless and revolting.

In a vaccum it is, unfortunately compared to the competition it doesn't fair well, and it's not priced competitively given its technical limitations.

I preordered mine 1/28 and am still waiting! Will switch to an MSI GE76 if it does not arrive by start of July. The Asus is a really good value even though it is not the top performing 3070 laptop. Also, the Asus battery life is reported to be amazing, way better than the Intel 3070 laptops.

In a vaccum it is, unfortunately compared to the competition it doesn't fair well, and it's not priced competitively given its technical limitations.

I think you might be alone in that assessment. Again, pretty much nothing at $1800 performs as well. Having HDMI 2.0b instead of 2.1 has exactly zero negative impact for me (and probably most others). I have a 4K 60Hz display that works perfectly with 2.0b and an HP Reverb G2 that works perfectly with DisplayPort over USB C. Almost every game operates at such high framerates that the notebook easily outperforms most other notebooks (and my desktop with 2070 Super) even with Optimus. Example: after the dual rank memory upgrade, I'm seeing 117fps in Shadow of the Tomb Raider with Highest settings. No notebook besides this one that I know of can match that at a similar price.

I think you might be alone in that assessment. Again, pretty much nothing at $1800 performs as well. Having HDMI 2.0b instead of 2.1 has exactly zero negative impact for me (and probably most others). I have a 4K 60Hz display that works perfectly with 2.0b and an HP Reverb G2 that works perfectly with DisplayPort over USB C. Almost every game operates at such high framerates that the notebook easily outperforms most other notebooks (and my desktop with 2070 Super) even with Optimus. Example: after the dual rank memory upgrade, I'm seeing 117fps in Shadow of the Tomb Raider with Highest settings. No notebook besides this one that I know of can match that at a similar price.
The Lenovo Legion 7 costs the same with a slightly slower CPU, but faster GPU as it has MUX switch (not sure about the 3070 but the 3080 has higher TDP), HDMI 2.1, way better screen 1600P, 500nits, HDR, G-Sync even when connected to an external monitor. The CPU is the 5800h a bit slower though.
I think this is a good laptop, but it should cost less than superior options like the Lenovo to make some sense.

The Lenovo Legion 7 costs the same with a slightly slower CPU, but faster GPU as it has MUX switch (not sure about the 3070 but the 3080 has higher TDP), HDMI 2.1, way better screen 1600P, 500nits, HDR, G-Sync even when connected to an external monitor. The CPU is the 5800h a bit slower though.
I think this is a good laptop, but it should cost less than superior options like the Lenovo to make some sense.

Hmmm... looking through the Lenovo site and can't find what you are referring to at that price. Link?

Hmmm... looking through the Lenovo site and can't find what you are referring to at that price. Link?
It seems they aren't available in Europe yet, they seem to be available only in Asia, pricing wise it's similar.
Jarrod made a video comparing the two if you're interested.

It seems they aren't available in Europe yet, they seem to be available only in Asia, pricing wise it's similar.
Jarrod made a video comparing the two if you're interested.

I am definitely interested. Can you post a link to the video you are referring to? I am having trouble finding anything referring to a Legion 7 with 5800H/3080. Thanks!

I am definitely interested. Can you post a link to the video you are referring to? I am having trouble finding anything referring to a Legion 7 with 5800H/3080. Thanks!
It's here:

A 150 Watt 3080! Progress.

In the 3 game tests one of the compare laptops is the one I have now which is a 2-year-old MSI GT76 Titan 9SG.

In Battlefield 5 it is almost 20 fps faster than mine, pretty much even in Shadow of the Tomb Raider and its 10 fps slower than the MSI in Far Cry 5. In Firestrike its overall score is 26698 to my MSI Titans best of 24094.

It's here:

A 150 Watt 3080! Progress.

In the 3 game tests one of the compare laptops is the one I have now which is a 2-year-old MSI GT76 Titan 9SG.

In Battlefield 5 it is almost 20 fps faster than mine, pretty much even in Shadow of the Tomb Raider and its 10 fps slower than the MSI in Far Cry 5. In Firestrike its overall score is 26698 to my MSI Titans best of 24094.

Looks like it has a 5900HX/3080 and a higher resolution display. I somehow doubt this is an $1800 laptop. Maybe he mentions the price somewhere in the video, bit I haven't had a chance to watch the whole thing yet.

If it's $1800, that's very impressive. If not, well, of course a more expensive laptop should outperform one that is less expensive.

Edit: Whoa... looks like this Lenovo is nearly $3000:

So not even remotely in the same category price-wise.

My point all along is that it is pretty hard to beat the ASUS ROG Strix G17 at $1800. Sure, if you have an unlimited budget, you can outperform anything. But at the $1800 price point, the ASUS is anything but "pathetic".

Last edited:
Im looking forward to what MSI and Acer have coming up in the 3000 series RTX and RX 6000 series GPUs. Especially Acer with AMD parts. My Son still has his 3-year-old Acer Predator Helios 500 with a Ryzen 7 2700 and a Vega 56 GPU.

Looks like it has a 5900HX/3080 and a higher resolution display. I somehow doubt this is an $1800 laptop. Maybe he mentions the price somewhere in the video, bit I haven't had a chance to watch the whole thing yet.

If it's $1800, that's very impressive. If not, well, of course a more expensive laptop should outperform one that is less expensive.

Edit: Whoa... looks like this Lenovo is nearly $3000:

So not even remotely in the same category price-wise.

My point all along is that it is pretty hard to beat the ASUS ROG Strix G17 at $1800. Sure, if you have an unlimited budget, you can outperform anything. But at the $1800 price point, the ASUS is anything but "pathetic".
The prices are similar, I don't know at what price Asus selles them elsewhere but in Asia, Lenovo and Asus sell their laptops for similar prices for the same configuration, Asus is a bit more expensive.. For similar configuration an Asus is around ~2500$ (3080+ 5800h) a bit lower for the Lenovo.

For me Asus are pathetic, but I view those kind of laptops are more desktop replacement, but the new Asus have excellent battery life but much worse performance. But I believe they'll update them like GIGABYTE and put HDMI 2.1 and a Mux switch, then they'll make more sense for me.

Im looking forward to what MSI and Acer have coming up in the 3000 series RTX and RX 6000 series GPUs. Especially Acer with AMD parts. My Son still has his 3-year-old Acer Predator Helios 500 with a Ryzen 7 2700 and a Vega 56 GPU.
And 1 day after I made this post a review from Dave2D covered the RX 6800 m, and it is quite good albeit @ 140 watts. It's an ASUS G15. It's faster than a 3070 and trades blows with a 3080 @ 140 watts. And there we have it, all AMD for those interested. Just a shame my MSI is faster than they are, so it looks like I will be holding on to it until the end of the year or early next year. We do have plenty of rumors about 200 watt versions +\- so we will see. Either way if you have an MSI GT76 Titan, Alienware Area51m or the ASUS ROG Mothership you won't need to look for an "upgrade" for a while.

Last edited:
I wonder if the timings on the 3200MHz memory on this NVidia machine match or are better than the AMD advantage version of the same laptop. I wouldn't put it past NVidia to pay Asus to put substandard memory in a competitors flagship laptop.

Back