Asus unveils Eee Pad Transformer Prime, quad-core Tegra 3 powered

Julio Franco

Staff member

Asus chairman Jonney Shih was enthused to show the company's upcoming Eee Pad Transformer Prime Android tablet during an interview at conference AsiaD today. This is the awaited sequel to the popular Eee Pad Transformer tablet that we reviewed a few weeks ago. The Transformer Prime will be a quad-core netbook/tablet hybrid powered by Nvidia's Tegra 3 SoC running Android Ice Cream Sandwich (though it wasn't specified if it would launch with it or upgraded at a later time).

Shih had the tablet on-hand to show but only revealed a handful other details including the tablet's 10-inch screen, 8.3mm thick chassis, built-in USB, mini-HDMI port, SD slot and 14+ hour battery life. Asus will formally announce the tablet next November 9th.

asus eee pad transformer prime tegra asus eee pad transformer nvidia eee pad transofrmer tegra 3 transformer prime

But current owners don't despair. Asus expects to upgrade the current Eee Transformer tablet to Android 4.0 ICS before the end of the year as well.

Shih took the opportunity to promote its recently launched Zenbook ultrabooks and also confirmed that the Asus Padfone (smartphone-tablet combo) was still in the works, expected to ship during Q1 2012 with Android 4.0.

Image credit: Engadget

Permalink to story.

I just got my Transformer TF101 on Monday, and it's screaming fast with dual cores. I can only imagine how fast it would run with Kal-El onboard.

Android is a bit of a learning curve from iOS, but now that I've had a couple days to get used to it, I see much more potential in Android then I did in iOS.

hey' i think android will eat ios in few years from now, open os = u get more for your money, apples times coming to an end!

I realized that I could really use a tablet to take to class, and was seriously looking at getting the original Transformer when my loans (finally) come in. I'm very happy this is coming out, I'm planning on picking it up. Any ideas on a release date?

They copied this idea from Apple, jus saying ince nobody has said it yet.

SO stoked for this! I just hope that ASUS moves on their alleged $499 asking price. However, if that price comes WITH the dock, then it'd be pretty awesome!

Guest said:

Really? Which part? The tablet form factor (which Apple did not invent)? The SD storage options (which Apple does not have)? The built-in keyboard dock system to provide netbook-like functionality (which Apple also does not have)? Do you really need more examples?

Try trolling in the more pedestrian tech sites, where people are more blinded by brand loyalty and denial, and less concerned with facts. You'll get more mileage.

paynetrain007 said:
Windows 8 FTW

I've actually been hoping that there could be a "meeting of the minds" between Windows 8 and the Transformer. As fun and useful as Android is, I needs me some Windows for certain applications, unfortunately.

I have also been hoping that a Windows based Transformer was in the works.
I have an ASUS Ep121 and love it. Tegra 3 seems like a good place for Windows tablet (better battery life than EP121).

pinothyj said:
But does it have 3G?

The important questions, people?

You can get the original Transformer with 3G, I don't see any reason why they would exclude it from their new model (though stranger things have been known to happen). I opted for the wifi only version since I can tether my Transformer to my phone for a wifi connection whenever I want. The GPS also works great.

Guest said:

Like Apple copied UI of some other OS's? Its hardly copying, taking something that is good and improving it for your benefit.

Poster few posts above is spot on...

PS:

When will you forbid guests from posting? Would easy up on the troll posts ;)

artix said:
When will you forbid guests from posting? Would easy up on the troll posts ;)

At least they manage to rouse the Cap'n from his slumber once in a while. Some of his best work is directed at Guests.

hey, a great tablet. Did not expect of the 3G because of the battery. Think a price for wifi no keyboard is $699

Back