AT&T announces unlimited calling to any mobile number

Matthew DeCarlo

Staff

Coming off a lengthy exclusivity contract for Apple's iPhone, AT&T is undoubtedly concerned about its largest competitor receiving the popular handset. Today marks Verizon's official iPhone 4 launch and AT&T is looking to steal a little thunder from big red by introducing an unlimited mobile calling feature to new and existing service plans. As of today, qualifying AT&T subscribers can call any mobile number in the US without having to watch their minutes.

Surprisingly, you shouldn't have to jump through too many hoops and the offer includes a lot of members. Eligible voice plans include AT&T's Nation 450, 900 as well as FamilyTalk 700 or higher. To qualify for unlimited "Mobile to Any Mobile," customers will also require an unlimited messaging plan which runs $20 for individuals and $30 on family plans. Although there doesn't appear to be too much red tape involved, you'll still have to sign up.

Permalink to story.

how is this useful is beyond me. you have to sign up for this, sign up for that, just to get it.

for one you have to spend $20 on an unlimited text plan first just to qualify. if you really want to compete AT&T, go BIG and get real.

Guest said:
Rather have unlimited data.

Verizon and sprint can have unlimited data because their networks are ****. There's a reason why EvDo has unlim and HSPA doesn't. It's called compensation for terrible speed.

Princeton said:
There's a reason why EvDo has unlim and HSPA doesn't.

Since when? I'm on T-Mobile which is a HSPA network and my wife and I some of my friends have unlimited data plans.

matrix86 said:
Princeton said:
There's a reason why EvDo has unlim and HSPA doesn't.

Since when? I'm on T-Mobile which is a HSPA network and my wife and I some of my friends have unlimited data plans.

T-Mobile HSPA is HSPA 3.6. At&t is HSDPA 7.2. I was referring to why at&t doesn't offer unlimited data.

always thought the states was way ahead in the cellular market, guess not....we have had this feature (even 5 and 10 numbers unlimited included in lots of plans) for years now with no long distance charges...

always thought the states was way ahead in the cellular market, guess not....we have had this feature (even 5 and 10 numbers unlimited included in lots of plans) for years now with no long distance charges...
that's marketing hype or Madison Avenue you're listening to. USA domestic service is all proprietary and to switch a different service provider is a 90% chance you'll need a new handset :(

The European GSM standard is W A Y ahead in this regard :)

Or get Verizon and you can call any Verizon mobile for free without signing up for anything and available on all plans...try again AT&T....Oh yeah and actually having a signal on Verizon is a big bonus too.

jobeard said:
that's marketing hype or Madison Avenue you're listening to. USA domestic service is all proprietary and to switch a different service provider is a 90% chance you'll need a new handset :(

The European GSM standard is W A Y ahead in this regard :)

Except the european governments and banks are going bankrupt. Your cheap and compatible networks will become more expensive without the government funding,

Also 90% is a huge overstatement. If your phone uses UMTS it will work on t-mobile, at&t and any other umts carrier. If your phone uses CDMA then it will work on sprint,verizon and other CDMA ones. The only issue is the phone wireless protocol. So the percentage is more than likely less than 10%. Because only an insane person would go from HSDPA to CDMA2000.

windmill007 said:
Or get Verizon and you can call any Verizon mobile for free without signing up for anything and available on all plans...try again AT&T....Oh yeah and actually having a signal on Verizon is a big bonus too.

read it again, they dont just get to call any AT&T mobile for free, all 4 major carriers have that feature (mobile to mobile), and probably the smaller ones do too. this is like sprints "any mobile" where they can call ANY mobile number in the country.

Well if it is true that you can call ANY mobile number EVERYONE better switch to the cheapest possible minute plan since you will never use minutes again. Getting the $30 family plan would be your smarter choice than paying $20 per phone for the package required.

Verizons speeds are a little slower but they have many more customers and a much better calling service offered. I have been a Verizon customer for almost 5 years now and I can say from all my friends that had ATT&T it is truely a garbage provider. Just because you have good download speeds doesn't mean you will have a signal to even use them !

If you have Verizon Wireless and then Sign Up for the Verizon ONE Bill Feature with verizon home phone/internet/tv you can also get all incomming and out going calls to Verizon Land Lines for free throughout the country. This is a feature that they do not discuss at cell phone stores as they don't want you learning how to skim off minutes.

If you have a .edu email address, are a cop/firefigther, or state employee you can also get 17-22% off your verizon bill. I have had an edu email and my dad is a state employee and we both get 19% off our verizon bills. To enable this feature you fill out 1 form from the verizon store and your set forever with them!

This is a hoax, this plan does not exist. My mother in law called in regards to this plan, and it isn't real. I checked out their website, the plan does not exist. Your best deal out there is Straight Talk.

Guest: I just went to their website and signed up for the new plan, so I'd say it isn't a hoax...

Back