Athlon 64 X2 4200+ Unstable @stock Settings

Status
Not open for further replies.
:confused: Hi ive just put a new MB, CPU, RAM + video card into my old case.
The symptoms are that especially when doing an intense defrag of the partitions of the HDD the system

freezes totally. HDD activity completely stops and after a minute every thing goes blank. AMD is not

overclocked at all- totally at stock settings. Also freezes when running 3dMark 06 in Vista( every thing stock).

Freezes when installing 2-5GB big games.

Points to note:

1) Ram is not on recomended list - but am trying to get exchange from ebuyer.com. Ram 5300 speed 1 Gb

cheapest on ebuyer.

2)Messed about the hardware a bit as i couldnt initially power on system- solved by connecting extra 4 pin

power lead on MB.

However while trying to solve that problem complete cleaned of good quality pre appled thermal paste form

AMD stock cooler and applied my own. My own looks a very messy compared to pre applied paste.

3) Limited option of increasing CPU voltage in BIOS. As i understand AMD stock voltage is 1.35 v i think

according to legitreviews ocing the amd. I would like to increase to at least 1.45v maybe 1.55v.

4) BIOS is American Megatrends V2.58 -not updated. How should i update this?? Have no floppy drive or

USB flash drives. Just ipods and CDR or DVDR.

How should i solve this problem???
Would also like to OC AMD if possible and VGA a bit more.

ok first do you have more than 1 harddrive and why the heck did you get vista??
second clean all the thermal paste off the cooler and what thermal paste do you have? hmm google for a program or a guide to OC it and to upgrade the bios go to the pcs manufactures site and look under downloads probably try the motherboards site

Hi there,

Before we begin can you please post your complete system specs first. Secondly can you post the details of your PSU. Dont overclock/mess about in your BIOS yet, leave everything on default settings as of yet.

chamillitarysk8 said:
ok first do you have more than 1 harddrive and why the heck did you get vista??
second clean all the thermal paste off the cooler and what thermal paste do you have? hmm google for a program or a guide to OC it and to upgrade the bios go to the pcs manufactures site and look under downloads probably try the motherboards site

I do have 2 hard drives 1 for each computer.

I got vista cause it looks nicer, got direct x 10; will run 3d mark 07 and will be able to play games better than xp in a couple of years after the service packs come out etc.

i have got antec formula 5 silver thermal paste

i think i need something like nail polish remover to clean the paste but we have run out of it.

IBN said:
Hi there,

Before we begin can you please post your complete system specs first. Secondly can you post the details of your PSU. Dont overclock/mess about in your BIOS yet, leave everything on default settings as of yet.

CPU-Z 1.40 report file

Processor(s)

Number of cores 2 per processor
Name AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200+
Code Name Windsor
Specification AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 4200+
Package Socket AM2 (940)
Technology 90 nm
Core Speed 2199.8 MHz
Multiplier x Bus speed 11.0 x 200.0 MHz
HT Link speed 999.9 MHz
Stock frequency 2200 MHz

Motherboard

Asus M2V
Am2 940pin
1 pcie
4 dimm slots

Ram

1gb
Kinston
667 MHz ( PC2-5300 )
1.8v
non ecc
unbuffered
cls5

video

8600gt
256mb
540 core
700 mem

PSU

Advance
P4
Atx 12V
Max 460w
current 4.5A

30A +3.3v
35A +5v
30A +12v

.8A -12v
.5A -5v
2.5A +5VSB

HDD

Maxtor
80GB

Set everything in the BIOS back to the stock settings (except date, time, etc.) so that you can run the CPU at its proper specs. Then run memtest for a couple of hours & see what it says.

Once more you have failed to tell us about your power supply (PSU).

What brand is it? Did it come with your case? Ifi its the latter then chances are it just a cheap P.O.S. PSU that isn't really 460W.

oh also you can clean the paste off with alcohol thats what i do and personally i like xp better as you can make it look alot like vista with less ram

beef_jerky4104 said:
Once more you have failed to tell us about your power supply (PSU).

What brand is it? Did it come with your case? Ifi its the latter then chances are it just a cheap P.O.S. PSU that isn't really 460W.

This is what is written on the sticker on the side of the PSU

Advance - Brand
For P4- Might run AMD 64 ???
Atx 12V
Max 460w
current 4.5A

If this is not enough info on the Brand especially how do i go about finding the brand name???

This did not come with the case; it is one i got seperatley from a computer shop for i think £15.00 - thats about $29.

Should i replace it or something- bit risky as it cost me dont know say £30 for a good one and it might not fix the problem.

Yeh and i brought it from priceless computing - URL - www.pless.co.uk

chamillitarysk8 said:
oh also you can clean the paste off with alcohol thats what i do and personally i like xp better as you can make it look alot like vista with less ram

What cheap alcohol substances can i use to clean it off as i dont drink.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back