AMD X2 4200 Cooling issue stock settings

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, I have a AMD x2 4200 processor running at default settings for the processor voltage and speeds, along with SPD settings for the memory. I have an ABIT AN8 Ultra MOBO with the most current bios update installed. My problem is that while in Vista and monitoring my tempatures of Core 1 and Core 2 I see them Idle at 32C and 38C respectivly. My first question is, is this normal for the core's to be at different tempatures? Then when I run the cores at 100% usage for about 30 seconds the temps jump to 51C and 55C. I thought that tempature seemed to be a bit high considering the temp in the room is only about 71deg F. I replaced the stock cooler with a heat pipe cooler from Comp USA when they existed. It is made by "Zalman". I have tried pulling this cooler off and reapplying the thermal grease and ensured it's thin and consistant. I've also verified that the fan is running at full speed when the processor hits 45C (and verified it via monitoring programs). I'm wondering if anyone can tell me for sure if this cooler will run on a MOBO that is standing vertical (correctly) and if anyone has any suggestions as to how to lower the temps. Everything I read on here seems to lead me to believe that with stock settings I should not see much over 45C with a good cooler. I'm not positive this is a good cooler but I know I paid a lot for it!! One other thing to note is that I can touch the base of the cooler (the copper pad portion) while at 100% processor usage and it feels body temp. I'm unable to get to the processor because of the size of the base of the cooler. Also of note, i've tried to overclock this and can run the processor up to 260mhz and still not have the temps climb over 58C. Any suggestions or adivce would be very welcome. Thanks.

Hi Tim,
different core temps (at least different readings) are common for for the athlon x2 series. I have a x2 4200 in another machine and it is almost identical to your readings. I even have a copper Zalman 7000 'flower' series cooler on it. i would try a different program to confirm temps, however 55c is well within recommended operating temps. max temp for the 4200 is 71c.
here is another program you can use to confirm your temps. http://www.cpuid.com/hwmonitor.php.
I have not been impressed with the Zalman copper coolers for the Athlon x2's not that they let the cpu overheat, but the 'heat pipe' coolers seem to work so much better.
hope that helped :)

Thanks for the reply. I feel a bit better now about the 55C temp. I had read several places including the sticky for this forum that 58C was about the max that you really wanted to go, so I was a bit concerned. I'm currently using that exact program that you suggested. As for your comment about the Heat pipe, the cooler i'm using IS a heat pipe style unit exact model is a Zalman CNPS9700 LED. It has a copper base plate with 6 heat pipes that support the flower style fins and fan unit. The fan blows parallel to the MB thru the fins and not at the processor like most other fans. Which is sort of nice actually because it blows the air directly into the exhaust fans that i have at the back of the unit. I also have fans on the front of the case that blow air into the case, over the memory and thru the CPU fan. Thus I really expected cooler temps than what i'm seeing. I just don't want to fry my cpu when I start to OC it. I've already been able to hit 265mhz without adjusting from the default voltages, with a multiplier of 9. Hopefully i can push this up further if I can allow the temp to increase a bit more. Thanks once again.

i think that 58 degrees C is probably the highest idle temp you would want to see. i would not try to oc that cpu more than 300mhz just because the amd cpus just dont clock well but 71 c is the max to make the cpu run for 5 years or more you can actually run it at higher temps with good cooling it will just shorten the life of the cpu.

Hi Klepto, read the first post. it idles in the 30's, and hits 55c when under load. but yeah, if you were idling at 58c you need a new cooling solution.

lol i did read that post thats why i said i think 58 would be the highest idle temp he would want to see.

Great thanks very much for the information. I was just a bit concerned with the difference in core temps and the fact that it seemed to jump up quite a bit when loaded. But from what i'm reading, I think I can overclock this quite a bit. I have pushed it up to 2385mhz (265 fsb with a 9.0 multi and the HTT at 4X and it is stable at that point. It seems thought that if i go to 270fsb it becomes unstable without more voltage (which I was scared to do, due to the temps untill i've read your replys). This weekend i'll see how much futher I can push it. Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back