ATI Radeon 9500 Pro Hardware Issue

Status
Not open for further replies.
Greetings,

I have an ATI Radeon 9500 Pro that I believe has a hardware problem. The displays garbled letters on text displays (I.e. during CMOS POSTing) and multiple dashed or broken vertical lines on graphic displays (VGA with 16 colors) such as using GRUB or during the "Windows 2000" splash page while booting my system (dual boot system). Attached as a picture of what the W2K splash screen looks like during this process

The problems demonstrated are independent of the operating system and using current Catalyst drivers or Linux drivers does not fix the problem.

Also, when fully booted to either OS, 3D apps are simply "broken" and you can see multiple vertical lines (faint) on the desktops. Been working with ATI for an RMA to return the card (they have been less than helpful thus far).

Anyone seen anything like this before? If so, we you able to solve the issue? How?

Thanks,
jae :confused:

Attachments

• rad9500prow2kboot.jpg
    rad9500prow2kboot.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 54
If it does this on both operating systems and regardless of the drivers you've tried then it would lead me to believe it is a hardware problem. This could be that the card is not seated properly, or it is dead or insufficient power to the card.

Thanks for the response. Seating is good and have tried in multiple computers, so I think power is ruled out. My Radeon 9800 Pro and a couple of other 9000 Pros I have work fine (for those cards needing and not needing the extra power). All indication is that the card is defective, just hard to get ATI to cooperate with me to return it. Just grasping for straws at this point....jae

did you ever fix this problem?

Did you ever find a solution to this problem? I'm having the exact same problem with the latest drivers (none of the drivers work right). I'm running Win2K SP4. I get vertical lines and garbled text all over the place. That's after bringing the computer back from a completely dead state after installing the new drivers over the old ones. This is pathetic. I'm about ready to break this board in half.

:dead: I would say the card is "dead". I had a Radeon 9500 Pro do pretty much what you are describing. I had to send back to ATI for an RMA. Took about 3 weeks for the total transaction to take place.

Crappy news. Never did get an explanation, but did get a brand new card.

Good luck!

Re: did you ever fix this problem?

Originally posted by minorgod
Did you ever find a solution to this problem? I'm having the exact same problem with the latest drivers (none of the drivers work right). I'm running Win2K SP4. I get vertical lines and garbled text all over the place. That's after bringing the computer back from a completely dead state after installing the new drivers over the old ones. This is pathetic. I'm about ready to break this board in half.
is this a new card or a new problem? or is this how it's always been? any overclocking at all? if it's really the same description as above i'd say it might just be a bad card too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back