ATI Radeon 9550/X1050 series constant problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

andjustice81

Hey guys as the title states I am having constant problems with my graphics driver crashing with the following message "your graphics driver has stopped responding to commands" (something along those lines anyway lol)
I am using an AMD Athlon 64 3200+ processor
With the ATI Radeon 9550/X1050 series 256MB VGA graphics card.
512MB DDR RAM.
I recently tried updating to the latest drivers from ATI but had severe installation problems and ended up having to do a system restore. So i am using the standard driver. I can play counter-strike and battlefield 2 reasonable consistantly (Wont crash out for a few hours or so) Which points out this cant be an overheating problem. But when i try to play WoW i get about 5-15 minutes game time before it stops responding. If anyone has any knowledge about how to fix this, it would be great :)
Edit: Since doing the system restore my CPU speed has gone from 2.2ghz to 999mhz? wtf is up with that?!

Try "undoing" system restore. You should get get back your 2.4ghz processor speed. Since you are running only 512 mbs of ddr ram, you are operating with minimum ram. Try doubling that, it will help and might stop the crashes. Does your "paging file" (virtual memory) have at least 1 or 1.5 gigs? You have to have that. Good Luck.

im not sure how to go about "undoing" the system restore. How did my processor speed drop anyway??? It seems really strange. It has enough ram to play WoW and other online games, so i dont think that is the problem. My virtual memory is allready 2.0Gb. If the system meets the minimum game requirments, this shouldnt be a problem should it? Any other help would be great :)
Edit: i just checked my processor speed and it has gone back up to 2.2Ghz Lol.. hmmmm... my computer is going crazy.

Im not sure how to determine which AGP slot i have, could you tell me please?? Yeah im running XP with Sp2. Im not really too worried about the ram as it seems to be running the programmes smooth as until they crash lol.
Edit: the model you refer at tigerdirect.com is not the same as my one. My one is the X1050 series. My one is AGP/VGA/Tv-out but does not have DVI.

Go back to system restore, select "undo my last restore". For serious gaming response you won't get it with your 9550. It has 6 GB's/sec. bandwidth. I really believe that you should have at least one ghz ram (minimum). Is your integrated graphics(if applicable) disabled? I used "catalyst" drivers when I used a 9550. Seriously: A) higher end GPU B). 1 or 2 gigs ram. C). more powerful psu. Good Luck.

My processor speed has gone back to 2.2ghz. I dont see why i should need more ram or a better processor because as i said the games are running smoothly until they crash. Im just trying to figure out why the driver stops responding to commands. I updated my processor driver and it went back to 2.2ghz.

Update to the official Catalyst or Omega drivers.

Like everybody has said...UPGRADE! 512 MB of RAM is not particularly expensive (you just need to find the correct speed and DIMM (socket) , nor is a decent AGP 8x/4x (probably your socket) card like the nVidia GeForce 6800, or the ATI Radeon X800. And power supplies are possibly the cheapest components available.

Sometimes, it will stop responding if it tries to run an effect or process that the card is not capable of. World of Warcraft is not particularly good at telling you what is necessary beforehand. Although, frankly, if it's running BF2 at all (and on a 9550, I'm not sure how the hell it is), then it should do World of Warcraft admirably. However, it is most likely an issue with you just having the wrong drivers.

Its runs BF2 Mint on 1280X1024 resolution with the texture and terrain setting on high. around 40-50fps, no lag at all, neither with World of Warcraft. I tried to load the official catalyst driver on but it came up with the error message: "setup did now find a driver compatable with your current hardware or operating system". I wrote to ATI asking what the story was and that i'd like a reply to confirm they heard me. 5 days with no reply so far lol. Useless turds.

Well, when AMD bought out ATI, the customer service that ATI had got loaded on the techs at AMD (plus a few from ATI) and they both got screwed.

Are you sure you're running a 9550? Send us a dxdiag.

I found somethings that could shed some light on this. I hope one of you guys know how to fix it :) hehe
In the catalyst event veiwer i have been getting some messages that could help discover the problem here they are:

Warning: Removal of an assembly from the global assembly cache failed C:/Program Files\ATI Technologies|ATI.ACE|Core-Implementation|inerop.WBOCXLib,Version=1.0.0.0
Source COM+SOAP Servies.

There are honestly too many others for me to list and i cant copy and paste lol But they all seem to go: removal of an assembly from the global assembly cache failed.

If anyone knows what this means and how to fix it that would be rad. Or i wouldnt mind trying an OMEGA driver is someone know where to download one thats right for my system. cheers :)

Oh sweet thanks dude! I'll give this one a wazzy daz now n see how it goes lol hmm i dosent mention anything about a 9550 but ill give it a shot it does say "all" radeons. If not i can just do a driver rollback instead of restore which is what i should've done the first time.

Just installed the omega driver and it has not fixed the problem, while installing, the setup also failed to find a file atiogi2 or something like that. Any other ideas guys?

Ive set the OMEGA Driver up correctly cause i found the files i needed located elsewhere. Its installed correctly on primary and secondary. Its still crashes :( lol. During the setup it detected my card fine n all but still, the driver stops responding to commands.

i have the exact same problem. it cant be his ram cause i have 1 gb of ram, and pentium 4 2.6 ghz. im getting the omega driver now to see if it will help me

This may not be it but I notice the original poster never mentioned uninstalling his old drivers before installing the new driver. Did you?

awsome. you can all thank me cause i have fixed the problem. all you have to do is get the old catalyst 6.0 drivers

it works for me anyway, and i hope it helps you too

Hey, im also expirencing some problems with most games...

My Specs are as follows...

ATI Radeon 9550/X1050 256mb APG Graphics Card
Realtek AC97 Audio
1GB of DDR2 RAM
AMD ATHLON 64 Processor 3000+
Windows XP SP2

Now the problems im having with is with BF2142...

-I can sometimes get into a game and be fine for a hour
-Sometimes it opens up...a black screen then closest to desktop
-Randomly kicked from game due to punkbuster reasons...even though it is activated and is up to date.
-Sometimes i get just guns/or terrain turning pure black...and no detail.

For CS:S
-It just Freezes and says and error...forget what it is...ill try to get a screenie of it.

If anyone can help with this would be appricated...I did have trouble finding where a update for my soundcard would be located, if anyone can find a link would be awesome, not sure i got the right update for my video card either.

IF any links could be found for updates for any of this would be helpful, thanks.

OK, the only time I've had a video card driver repeatedly stop responding was when the video card was broken. The only other thing I can think of is that the card may be overheating but that is not very likely. One of the cards I looked at was passively cooled with a small heatsink. You can purchase a small tube of Arctic Silver for a few bucks and re-seat the heatsink if you wish, but more than likely you'll need to replace the video card with something else to be rid of the problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back