ATI Radeon 9600 256MB DDR

Status
Not open for further replies.

RCman

Hi,
I recently just built my new computer and am loving it! However I fell like I'm being held back by my current 9200SE 128MB Video Card when playing games like Halo and Hitman 2. :(

I am looking at buying a new video card such as the Sapphire ATI Radeon 9600 Video Card, with 256MB DDR, but is it worth the $103? (at newegg.com - Go Here I Can't spend much more than that $100 so that kinda limits my options :D . Is there a better card I could get for that money?

Any Help would be appreicated!

Thanks,
Bill

Perhaps if you wait a few months for the new range of ATI and Nvidia cards to come out. This will bring down the prices and you should be able to get a 9600pro or XT for the same price you can get a non pro now.

Originally posted by Rory7
Perhaps if you wait a few months for the new range of ATI and Nvidia cards to come out. This will bring down the prices and you should be able to get a 9600pro or XT for the same price you can get a non pro now.

Yea but no point in waiting if he wants to play games on his sweet rig now. I recon get the card now, because sure it'll cost more then it will down the road but he'll get to use it. Its like ya I got my 2100 for $150, now its $70, but that $80 difference was the money that let me use it all that time until now.

128MB performs just like 256MB for now. If there is a considerable price difference (I doubt it though), then you may not want to opt for the 256MB and get the 128MB instead.

The limiting factor isn't 128MB of memory (just so you know), but the speed of the memory. The 9200 has crummy memory bandwidth and that's what is holding you back.

If you are looking for a good performer, you might want to get a 9600XT. 9600 Pro is slower, but not bad. Do NOT get a 9600SE.. It won't be much of an upgrade from what you have (if at all). ;)

The card you pointed out should suit your system well, and is probably about the best value if you are on a budget from what Newegg offers.

Wait a month now, get a better card that will take longer to get out of date. Im sure you can hold out for one more month. It is mid/late march that they are bringing the new cards out isnt it?

Wow.. thanks for the fast replies guys!
Rory7: I think you have the best point... I can wait the month or two now and get a better card then... and mabye have more of a budget :) !
Rick: Ya you do have a point, I reseached all that... but there is an $8 price difference from the 9600 128MB ($95) to the 9600 256MB ($103)... I just figured I'll Spend the extra little $$$ now and hope the card brings me futher in the future. :)
---agissi---: Thanks for your replies... but I'll guess I'll live with the little bit of lag in my games for a month... heck in a week... I'm taking a two week trip! That alone takes away most of the time!

Thanks Everyone!

Originally posted by RCman
Wow.. thanks for the fast replies guys!
Rory7: I think you have the best point... I can wait the month or two now and get a better card then... and mabye have more of a budget :) !
Rick: Ya you do have a point, I reseached all that... but there is an $8 price difference from the 9600 128MB ($95) to the 9600 256MB ($103)... I just figured I'll Spend the extra little $$$ now and hope the card brings me futher in the future. :)
---agissi---: Thanks for your replies... but I'll guess I'll live with the little bit of lag in my games for a month... heck in a week... I'm taking a two week trip! That alone takes away most of the time!

Thanks Everyone!

oh yeah.. $5 extra for 128MB more RAM is quite a deal. :)

NO More Worries

Well, I guess the debate for the 9600 is over...
Yesterday a freind of mine offered to buy my new comp for $150 more than I paid for it, cause he has no idea how to build or set upo a computer and didn't want to spend $2500 from dell. So this morning I logged onto www.newegg.com with my tax return and credit card in hand :) ...

I went out and went for it all,
Here's the setup:

- Asus A7N8X-E Deluxe (Had a Asus A7N8X-X)
- AMD Barton 3200+ (Had a AMD 2600+ Barton)
- 1GB (2x512mb) of Corsair PC3200 DDR RAM (Had 1GB (2x512mb) of Crucial PC2700 RAM)
- Radeon 9600XT 256MB (Had a Radeon 9200SE)
- Maxtor 80GB 8MB Cache 7200RPM
- Extremo 550 Watt Power Supply
- 16x DVD ROM & 52x32x52x Burner

I'm Hoping this setup will be alot better than what I had before!
Thanks for the help everyone!

Bill :grinthumb

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back