ATI video card not working in Compaq Deskpro EN

Status
Not open for further replies.

egan

I have a Compaq Deskpro EN 133HZ, Pentium III machine running Windows 2000 Professional. It has an onboard VGA input. I recently upgraded the memory to 256. I just purchased a Diamond Stealth ATI Radeon 9250 PCI video card. My machine fits all the minimum system requirements of the card.

When I start my PC, I do not get any display.

When I swap my VGA plus back to the onboard port, I don't get any display either.

I've tried disabling the onboard VGA port in BIOS, but am not 100% sure where that might be; let's just say the bios is pretty simple and doesn't seem to have this kind of detail. I've tried reseating the video card multiple times. I can plug a NIC into the same PCI slot and it works, so it's not an issue with the PCI slot. I've also tested the S-Video output to my TV, to see if it was an issue with the VGA port on the card, but that didn't work either.

I am completely out of ideas. Any suggestions?

Excellent suggestion...

...but it doesn't look like that's the issue. I've been all over the motherboard and I can't find any kind of switch near the VGA port itself nor near the PCI slots.

Put the new VPU in, leave the NIC and any other PCI devices out of the system, clear the CMOS and try to boot.

I can't seem to find your PC on HP's site, do you have a link?

Ok, so that had a little bit better result. Immediately upon reboot after clearing CMOS, I did get a display from the new video card. It looked like it was doing some sort of memory check (a number indicator in the upper left of the screen counted upward to 256) then it asked me to select F1 to save the new configuration. However, as soon as I selected F1, my monitor went to sleep, indicating it was no longer getting a signal from the card.

As for my model on HP, I've had the exact same problem. I've checked every square inch of the machine and the only indication of model number I have is "Compaq Deskpro EN." When you look at HP there are hundreds of machines with this model. As I have a Pentium III, 733 HZ processor, I believe my complete model number is "Compaq Deskpro EN P733" but that's kind of a guess.

There might be an option in the BIOS to indicate the Primary Display Adapter. It should be set to Onboard, and setting it to PCI might help, if there even is such an option. Otherwise, if you have an AGP slot, try exchanging your current card for an AGP one.

Ok, this link is for a doc that describes a BIOS as close to my BIOS as I can find.

http://bizsupport.austin.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c01150421/c01150421.pdf

It differs in these very important ways:

#1. Under Advanced/Bus Options I only have the options to:

enable/disable PCI Bus Mastering
enable/disable SERR# Generation
enable/disable VGA Palette Snooping

#2. Under Advanced/Device Options I have more options that this doc shows:

enable/disable the following: Processor Number, ACPI S3 Support, ACPI S3 Video REPOST, ACPI S3 Hard Disk Reset, ACPI S3 PS2 Mouse Wake Up, AGP Aperture Size, Monitor Tracking

#3. (probably most importantly) I don't have an Advanced/PCI VGA Configuration menu

Maybe I can upgrade the BIOS???

And I don't have an AGP slot, so that option is out.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't the fact that there is an AGP Aperture Size option indicate that there is an AGP slot present? Or is that option greyed out?

Ok, do something. Download this program and run it. Under the Motherboard option, confirm whether or not you have an AGP slot. Also, get the motherboard name while you're at it. I might be able to dig up something with that.

Yeah, good point. Why do I have an AGP option in the bios but no actual AGP slot? Now I'm starting to think that there might be something wrong with my BIOS, or maybe an older version?

The results of the utility you gave me show that the only system slots I have are 3 PCIs.

The manufacturer of the motherboard is Compaq. The model is 0688h.

For what it's worth, chipset vendor is Intel and chipset model is 815/EP/P Soland Host-Hub Interface Bridge (GMCH/MCH A2-step)

My BIOS version is 686P2 v3.14 with a BIOS date of 9/13/02. It does say that it supports AGP, so maybe that's why it even has that option in there.

Try the chipset driver from this page. In case it tells you to overwrite the current file in your system with an older one, select no and stop the installation. Also, try updating the BIOS from here. Be sure to follow the installation instructions for this precisely or you might mess up your BIOS.

I was able to upgrade the chipset driver without a warning that the version I had was more current than the upgrade. But I am still unable to get a display from the video card.

I also upgraded the BIOS via this link, even though the upgrade said that the version I had (v.3.14) was the same as the upgrade. Still cannot get a display.

I spent two weeks solid messing with an ATI Radeon 9200 ( my thread isn't too far back ). Very same problem as you have ... no display. I have the very same machine as you. Tried all the updates. The only conclusion is that the motherboard itself wasn't compatible.

My advice would be to bin it, don't waste your time, and buy an Nvidia card.

Yup, that did it. I swapped out the ATI card with an NVidia GeForce FX 5200 and it worked like a charm. I didn't even have to mess with the BIOS to disable the on-board VGA port.

Thanks to everyone who helped me on this issue!

And a lesson for you kids out there: go with NVidia if you have a Compaq Deskpro.

Compaq System not Display

Hello,

My Computer is Compaq Deskpro EN, many days before my PC running perfectly but after some days on my PC are not out display but i had replace the VGA Catrd ATT, RAM, and Processor but these change the tiems but System not out display and keyboard signal Num Lock autiomatical ON/OFF (Blinking). please tell me about this problems, sent me, Thanks.

ASGHAR ALI SHAHID

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back