Augen begins selling $190 10.2" netbook, Genbook108

Matthew DeCarlo

Staff

Augen has followed up on its dirt cheap Gentouch78 tablet with a new sub-$200 offering. This time, however, it's a 10.2-inch netbook, and it too runs Android 2.1. Officially dubbed the "Genbook108," the little guy sports a 1024x600 pixel display, an 800MHz ARM11 processor, 256MB of system memory, and 2GB of internal storage. There's also built-in 802.11b/g Wi-Fi and an SD/MMC slot that can handle up to 32GB cards.

Preloaded is a web browser that supports YouTube, QuickOffice, an instant messenger, an email app, as well as software for media playback and viewing PDFs/pictures. Supported media formats include AVI, XVID, DIVX, MPEG-4, RMVB, MP3, WMA, WAV, WMV, ASF, and MOV. The Augen netbook weighs 1.8lbs with a 2100mAh battery and it ships with a leather carrying case for $190 (temporarily out of stock, though).

Permalink to story.

What AuGen should have done is take the above and turn it into a 10.2" tablet and sell that for $199.99. I have Gentouch78 7" tablet would be nice if this was one also.

Where is VIA in these netbooks? They should be really trying to sell themselves with the nano2. I'd seen some stuff a year or 2 ago on the nano vs the atom and the atom was losing in a lot of key areas, but yet the nano still fails. VIA's marketing team must suck.

SNGX1275 said:
Where is VIA in these netbooks? They should be really trying to sell themselves with the nano2. I'd seen some stuff a year or 2 ago on the nano vs the atom and the atom was losing in a lot of key areas, but yet the nano still fails. VIA's marketing team must suck.

I agree with this, I heard about the nano and went reasearching accross the internet about it. Found some tests etc and they are fairly impressive but much cheaper than some of these other proccessors yet as you said, they just don't seem to end up in any products?!

CIA's Marketing team don't just suck, they just simply don't exist!

Back