Authorities are investigating what may be the first drone-linked aircraft crash

Polycount

Staff

Drones are pretty interesting and versatile pieces of technology. They can be used for surveillance, high-speed video capture, package deliveries and even ocean rescues. However, as their popularity grows, so too does their associated risks - specifically regarding the devices sharing the sky with larger, more dangerous aircraft.

To that end, Bloomberg reports government investigators are looking into what could be the first-ever drone-linked aircraft crash. According to the report, a helicopter crash-landed in Charleston, South Carolina, this week after a civilian drone reportedly interfered with its flight path.

A Charleston police report says the crash happened on Wednesday when a student pilot and instructor saw a "small drone" hovering directly in front of them. In a bid to avoid a dangerous collision, the instructor quickly attempted to take over for the student. Unfortunately, the helicopter's tail reportedly struck a "tree or bush," resulting in a crash landing.

The good news is neither the student pilot nor the instructor were injured in the crash. The same cannot be said for the helicopter which reportedly suffered significant tail damage.

...neither the student pilot nor the instructor were injured in the crash.

It's worth noting the incident occurred over an undeveloped piece of land far from any nearby airports or other "no-fly" zones so it's unlikely any other civilians were put in harm's way. The drone in question appears to have been a DJI Phantom - a small, white four-rotor device. Due to the Phantom's color and size, it's possible that its pilot simply lost track of it in the sky while the helicopter happened to pass overhead.

DJI says they "[stand] ready to assist investigators" as needed and has reaffirmed their commitment to acting as an "industry leader in developing educational and technological solutions to help drone pilots steer clear of traditional aircraft."

Permalink to story.

If I were a helicopter pilot, I would not be taking evasive maneuvers that bring me VERY CLOSE to ground objects vs. just smashing the daylights out of the much smaller drone.
If you're not close to the ground, go ahead and evade.

This reminds me of two accidents I had with my cars and deer. Both times I was on a highway doing about 65 and the deer tried to cross in front of me at the last second which is when I first noticed them. I had 3 split-second options.

1.) Try to stop in time. Helicopters can try this too.

2.) Swerve right or left and hope I don't hit them or another vehicle and hope I don't go off the road / or lose control and crash. I never chose this option because I figured this was my worst option.

3.) Continue on straight ahead and hope the deer gets the heck out of there in time. I chose this option both times and stayed in my lane. Deer and car lost both times. After creating venison, I just calmly pulled off the road a 1/4 mile later and stopped.

In the 2nd accident (at dusk) it was right around Christmas time and Rudulph didn't make it. I was on Santa's naughty list that year. I was 2 hours from home and police said they'd get there in 1-2 hours (busy night and they said I wasn't a priority since deer and care were off the road). Since nothing was leaking I drove 10 miles to the police station, had them fill out the report, borrowed some duct tape from them and aligned both dangling (and still working) headlights so I could see and drove home.

I'm just wondering how tall the trees are where this happened. Being aircraft are supposed to stay above 500ft altitude this could be an accident that is actually pilot error on the helicopters part and not the drone. But either way it will go against the drone image being that the public has such a poor view on them. I don't know the details on the incident but the media is very quick to judge.

In the 2nd accident (at dusk) it was right around Christmas time and Rudulph didn't make it. I was on Santa's naughty list that year. .
Christmas-Is-Coming-Santa-Is-Not-Funny-Polar-Bears-1.jpg

Except for certain approved agencies, drones need to be restricted the exact same way that model aircraft are. They take cute videos, but their potential hazards are very disturbing. Interfering with aircraft is but one of many. Restrict them now, before it's too late.

Back