Auto Play gone for both optical drives

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rilla927

Hi gang,

Under hidden devices in Device Manager I spotted ASPI32 with an exclamation mark about a week ago. Didn't know what it went too when I seen it. Now I checked it again and there is no exclamation mark but it's disabled.

During this time I tried my XP Pro Recovery disk in each drive and it won't copy the files for a reinstall of windows like normal. These disc's are not scratched (I have two from Manufacturer). I noticed Auto Play is gone from context menu for both drives. These XP Pro disc's always worked before.

When I put a disc with data on it a menu would come up and ask if I wanted to chose Music, View Folders, Take No Action and I would choose View Folders. It doesn't do that anymore.

This really bothers me because I do need to reinstall windows eventually here.

If anyone knows what I should do please let me know.

Thanks,

Rilla927

P.S- The drives are a Plextor 712A and a NEC 3540A.

The NEC was just replaced by a tech in the middle of July.

A couple of things you can try are, go to your device manager and right click on your optical drives, choose uninstall. Reboot your computer and Windows will redetect them.

If that doesn`t help, download the attached Autofix programme. extract it, then run the programme. It`s supposed to fix any autoplay issues.

Regards Howard :)

Good advice from Howard there.

I will just add run scandisk to be on the safe side too!!

howard_hopkinso said:
A couple of things you can try are, go to your device manager and right click on your optical drives, choose uninstall. Reboot your computer and Windows will redetect them.

If that doesn`t help, download the attached Autofix programme. extract it, then run the programme. It`s supposed to fix any autoplay issues.

Hi Howard,

I uninstalled them and rebooted and the NEC shows and the Plextor isn't there at all.

I checked disk management and the F drive for the plextor shows, but not when I open "My Computer".

Rilla927

rik said:
Good advice from Howard there.

I will just add run scandisk to be on the safe side too!!

Do you mean check disk? If so, I just did that a few days ago and it came up clean.

Rilla927

Go into disk management and assign a different drive letter to the Plextor. Try something you know isn`t in use, such as m.

See if that helps.

howard_hopkinso said:
Go into disk management and assign a different drive letter to the Plextor. Try something you know isn`t in use, such as m.

See if that helps.

Okay, I assigned the letter M to the drive and it shows up now.

Correct me if I'm wrong... is autoplay supposed to be in the context menu even when a disc isn't in the drive or only if a disc is in the drive?

I can't figure out why this windows cd won't copy these files when I reboot. It always did before. This all started after they replaced my Lite On drive with this NEC.

When I put the cd in with out doing a reboot the menu comes up and the #1 choice to select, is to install windows. By doing it this way I don't know if I would get the F6 prompt for third party drivers. It was always done by putting the cd in and rebooting and it would copy the files and I would get the F6 prompt for the WinXP PromiseFastTrack and so on.

I don't know, none of this makes any sense.

Thanks for helping Howard.

Rilla927

Correct me if I'm wrong... is autoplay supposed to be in the context menu even when a disc isn't in the drive or only if a disc is in the drive?

It`s only supposed to be there when there`s a disk in the drive. Well that`s how it works on my system.

Go into your bios and check to see what the boot order is.

Make sure your cd-rom is set to first boot device. make your other optical drive the second boot device and then finally your hard drive. save and exit bios.

If that doesn`t help, I`m out of ideas.

Just a thought. If you have a card reader installed on your system, disconnect it. I know card readers can cause problems sometimes with optical drives being recognised.

Re: Auto Play

howard_hopkinso said:
Go into your bios and check to see what the boot order is.
It's funny you mention that.... I was on the phone with tech support two weeks ago because I didn't see the NEC in the bios. It had to be enabled under CD-Rom. For some reason in this bios you have to chose one drive or the other for Boot Device Sequence, you can't have both. The choice for the NEC isn't even there to enable for Boot Device Sequence. So I always have the Plextor as #1, HD #2, Floppy Drive #3, Yukon PXE #4. Of course the tech didn't have a clue as to why I can't have both optical drives in Boot Device Sequence.

Now autoplay is there for both drives.

I do have a card reader. I have never been able to install windows from my end with techs on the phone so therefore it got shipped out every time. Every tech I would get on the phone would do something different, so I don't think any of them new what they were doing.

My tech support is going to run out in August of 2007 that's why I have been gathering information about how to do this with the third party drivers (WinXP Promise FastTrack). The Promise was always the problem.

I did find the correct information at Via Arena Forum of how to do the third party driver and the info I got is not the same as what the Techs were doing on the phone every time we tried to install windows. There was always one file missing, so no wonder we could never get windows installed from this end.

I know the image the manufacturer gave me is made by Norton Ghost and you do have to disconnect the card reader in order to use the Ghost image. They have given me four different images in the past and none of them were any good.

Do you know if I'm supposed to disconnect the card reader to install windows from the CD? Since I have never done it, I wouldn't know.

Forgot one more thing: Shouldn't you use the optical drive manufacturers driver for these drives?

Thank for everything Howard.

I`d definitely recommend you disconnect the card reader before you attempt to install Windows. In fact I`d recommend you disconnect any peripheral devices as well. I.E webcams/printers etc.

howard_hopkinso said:
I`d definitely recommend you disconnect the card reader before you attempt to install Windows. In fact I`d recommend you disconnect any peripheral devices as well. I.E webcams/printers etc.

Okay, will do.

Should the ASPI32 be enabled?

Thanks for everything Howard.

I`m not sure about the ASPI32 being enabled. I wouldn`t have thought it`d be necessary, but I don`t know for sure. However, you could try enabling it and see what happens.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back