AUTOCHK.EXE not found on Win2k Prof.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been running a dual boot system for a couple of years now with Win2k, NTFS), in one partition and Win98, (FAT32), in another. The disks are partitioned further for separate data and development areas.

Up to a few weeks ago the systems boot normally with no problems. Then, suddenly, the Win2k system displays a message at boot time telling me that;

\systemroot\windows\system32\autochk.exe cannot be found

The variable SYSTEMROOT resolves to J:\WINNT which is correct for my Win2k system. But there is no WINDOWS directory; the windows operating system in in WINNT.

I created a sub-directory call WINDOWS under J:\WINNT and placed AUTOCHK.EXE in it to try to let the boot sequence find the programme: it still didn't work.

I have checked out the other posts in this forum and followed thee suggestions with the following results:

1. As I am running Win2k the Windows XP HotFix: KB824105 has not been installed on my system
  2. Checking my disks with PQMAGIC I find that none of the system partitions are hidden

Can anybody help me on this one?

Thanks
Alex

Try finding the file to replace it using your install disk... thats all i can think. Unless you know what happened to it or what it was for.

Tried that...

Thanks Sjbrand99 but I have already tried that.
I also ran FSC at startup but the same thing happens.
Any other suggestions welcome.

Cheers,
Alex

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back