Bad CPU?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello everyone.

Have a dead pc right now and I'm trying to bring it back to life. For the past couple weeks I've had my cpu fan's rpms go crazy intermittently for about 30 minutes or so at a time. I went out of town a few days and left the PC on. When I got back it was off. I booted into windows and had the pc freeze on me shortly after everything on the tray came up. Everytime I started it afterward it cut off after displaying the mobo splash screen (ECS has some pic of a snake flash on the screen). It would not stay on more than a few seconds. I switched out the power supply with a good one = no luck. Removed the video card and tried to boot with onboard video = no luck. Reset the bios with jumpers and it never even went to the bios. There was no video for about 3 minutes before I started smelling something burning. Cut it off and the cpu and heat sink could cook an egg. Should I return the mobo or the processor.

Have you removed, cleaned & put some new thermal paste on the CPU heatsink?

Hopefully the thermal shutoff caught it before there was any damage!

However, it it got mega hot, the heat coul've killed the CPU and the Motherboard.

put an ADEQUATE thermal paste as Fragrant Coit said,sometimes others overlook by just putting amount of thermal paste whether it's enough or not.it could be a thermal pad too,if so,replace it.

that thing happened to my friend once,hopefully it didnt damaged your CPU or Motherboard.

goodluck

Thanks for the comments guys. I already RMA'd the CPU though. I figured I had a three year warranty and I might as well use it. Thermal paste seemed adequate when I installed and when I uninstalled. I'll let yall know whether I get back the same cpu with a nasty letter from Intel or a refurbished p.o.s.. Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back