Bad graphics card or video cable?

Hello,

I'm new to this forum and I don't know a ton about computer hardware, but I'm in desperate need of some computer advice, so I'll try my best to explain. I have an Asus UL80VT. I bought the computer 2 years ago and it worked fine up until about one month ago. Basically, I get one vertical strip of distortion and fuzz on a particular spot of my screen (See the picture below). However, if I move my screen back and forth, the distortion will flicker and eventually, if I get it just right, my screen will go back to normal. I can also press on the bottom most left side of my lcd frame and the distortion will go away until I release it. Once the fuzz transitioned to an all white screen and once into a grayish (I think, but could have been dark blue) screen. Both times, everything disappeared and I had to reboot (after which it was fine).

I hooked my computer up to my tv via hdmi and, although the tv moniter did not show the strip of fuzz that was actually on my computer's lcd, it did jump a bit and there was a very slight horizontal line going through the middle when it jumped.

I'm not sure if my graphics card is going or if my video cable is bad or if the problem is something else entirely. I would love any advice.

photo.php

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...1253072181873.517865.520511872&type=1&theater

Back