Bad Sectors in HD

Status
Not open for further replies.

newkid

Hi there !
My Hard disk of 486 machine has some bad sectors ( 26188 kb). I keen to know is there some way to remove the bad sectors ?

I am kid of microsoft world.. and few days back started learning ASP and SQl Server. Though, my machine running absolutely fine but the major issue is am not able to convert file system. My File system is Fat32. So my webcontent will be store on the same file system. As far as my knowledge is concern, anyone will be able to browse my web contents because of FAT32 file system. When I attempt to convert the file system to the NTFS file system by using the convert c: /fs:ntfs command, the conversion not succeed even though the hard disk has several GB of free space.

I came to know from one knowledgebase article of Microsoft that failure of conversion is because of Bad Sectors in Hard disk.

Can any helping soul put some light on the issue ? What can i do apart from new hardisk ?

With thanks !

Conversion is a one-way process in that you can convert from FAT32 to NTFS, not the other way as you are trying. The commnad that you have tried ... convert c: /fs:NTFS... will work for converting FAT32 to NTFS "only".

@stevers

Conversion is a one-way process in that you can convert from FAT32 to NTFS, not the other way as you are trying.

@newkid

My File system is Fat32....

I am not trying to convert NTFS to FAT32. If I has the NTFS file system and machine runing smoothly then there is no need to intiate the thread and seeking help.

No matter how much bad sectors i had..

so, you are told when trying to convert the drive that it has errors, but scandisk tells you you don't have any? hmm.

just on the off chance, try running chkdsk /r (which is the same as /p but it recovers as well) from the recovery console, reboot, and try again. I don't know why, but something tells me to ask you to turn off your pagefile too. Perhaps there could be data corruption in it, or maybe that's something I read somewhere in a different context. Who knows, but give it a go anyway. lol. It can't hurt to try.

Spike,
I did the checkdisk but it not able to fix the bad sectors. It showing me the same number of bad sectors as posted above in my earlier Post.

Apart from that, I am not able to run the scandisk command from windows OS.

Previously, i did with bootable windows CD.
I don't know why, but something tells me to ask you to turn off your pagefile too.

Does you mean to say to set the page file to 0(Min) or Max(0) ?

Try and get ahold of a program called "HDDRegen". Several people have recommended that to me in the past and it may be a good option for you to try that out.

Thanks for the URL guys !

I was ill so i can't response you all in time. Sorry for that...

Well.. none of the suggestion works..

HDD regen, after scanning the hard-disk shows me that it recover the lost data but not wish to store it in my hard - disk. They want to buy the space at his website which cost me $ 100 for 1 GB...

Any more suggestion... I just want to change my file allocation system from FAT 32 to NTFS.. I really not want the lost data.

Thanking you all for your anticipation.

You can try using some other program to convert the partition besides the MS builtin converter. Partition Magic for example.

Thanks Nodsu..

But there are lots of Partition Magic on the web..:)

-One from Symantec
-One from Softwareoasis

Which one you refered.? Please mark me the URL if possible...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back