Battery draining fast on Galaxy Note 3

chipopo2

Hi there,
I have a Samsung Galaxy Note 3 SM-N9005, Android 4.3
For the first half a year it worked great as far as I could tell. I had Battery Doctor installed and the battery held out very good.
Recently, I started getting notifications from Battery Doctor that the battery is draining fast and it shows a lot of apps running that are using up the battery. The thing is that besides the fact that it wasn't like this before, even after I press the optimize button which supposedly closes the apps, the notification keeps showing and my battery really drains very fast.
I attached an example screen shot.
Can someone here help me solve this problem?

Attachments

• 2014-12-05 05.55.27.png
    2014-12-05 05.55.27.png
    394.6 KB · Views: 8
It may be a simple question, and please do not take any offense to it, but when was the last time you rebooted your phone? Sometimes simply doing a reboot will correct battery drain issues. Also, try giving the Greenify app a try. It has auto-hibernation of apps. I've been using it for years, and it helps. May I also suggest, if you do not do so already, turning off services that you do not immediately use (Bluetooth, WiFi, GPS, etc.). You can easily turn any of these back on if and when you need them.

Hello Spykezxp,
I reboot a lot, it doesn't help. I always turn off the services you mentioned but it seems that there are so many open. I am not sure that's normal. About the app you suggested, if you're not completely sure it will help I would rather not install it. It's possible that the problem began right after I installed a couple of new maintenance apps.

That is a good start to fixing it, by knowing that a recent install on an app might be causing the battery drain. It will take some time, but you could do the following:
Start with your most recent app install and uninstall it.
Reboot phone and take a couple hours to determine if that app is what is causing your battery to drain quicker then usual.
If it is still draining, try the next most recent app and repeat same steps.
This is a lengthy process, and I would suggest starting with a full battery.
Do you happen to have a rooted phone? If so I would suggest Better Battery Stats. I have used this app for many years on all of my rooted (and even some non-rooted) phones. After having this app installed for a full 24 hours, it will give you information on what is draining your battery. This one I know for sure will help. The Greenify app is a great app for having your "background" apps go into hibernation mode when not in use. I have a Galaxy S4 and can get approximately 2 full days out of the battery (and the battery is original one that came with the phone). I am not trying to sway you into installing apps that you do not know or fell safe with, just trying to help you out with your situation. If you were to install something, I would go with Better Battery Stats.

Thanks all.
I don't leave Wi-Fi GPRS or Bluetoosh on. In fact, I hardly use them. My screen brightness is pretty low and there are no unusuall apps (at least not that I know of).
My main concern is that this draining started all of a sudden. One day I had 30 hours of actual battery power and the next it went down to around 25 hours and receding rappidly. If I wouldn't close all the apps via Battery Doctor every now and then it would have probably lasted less than 18 hours.

I might recommend going on Amazon and ordering a new battery. If you think about it, your phone is at minimum 6 months old as you said, I would guess a bit older. But even at 6 months old, that's close to 200 days. If you, like most people, charge your phone at least over night, that's still 200 charges on that battery, if not more (since many people charge during the day as well). After that many charges it is fairly normal for it to begin draining quicker.

Just last week I went on amazon and bought a kit for $12 that gave me two galaxy note 2 batteries with a battery charger and the difference was noticable. I could barely make it to lunch with my old battery, these new batteries last all day. Of course I've had my phone for close to 2 years now.

Thanks for your reply. I never thought of that, maybe you're right and it's all about the battery.

Use a concept called "Lazy Evaluation" (computer science name) which says to reduce the workload, don't do anything until it is explicitly needed. For mobile devices, this tells us to:
  • turn off location services everywhere but enable only in things like GPS
  • change the settings for PUSH to PULL; ie stop getting status updates and wait until you access email, et al
  • don't run stuff in background; your interest by definition is in the foreground app

Their's a huge flawed script for the wonderful NOTE3 you have same one ss I do. I'm not impressed with many thing's after the release of some wonderful updates but no need to get into it. I'm almost shure ( would even bet on it ) you have a micro sd for extra storage. Possibly had few problems with it too. Take it right out and see if that fixs the draw..... Don't get me wrong I love my Note3 even sleep with it but do try removing it.

Their's a huge flawed script for the wonderful NOTE3 you have same one ss I do. I'm not impressed with many thing's after the release of some wonderful updates but no need to get into it. I'm almost shure ( would even bet on it ) you have a micro sd for extra storage. Possibly had few problems with it too. Take it right out and see if that fixs the draw..... Don't get me wrong I love my Note3 even sleep with it but do try removing it.

Woke up this morning and phone was almost dead, plugged in charger and nothing but was draining fast. Started to go buy a battery this morning and glad I didn't. Removed the SD card and the charger turned green. My question now, do I put a new SD card in or save to my computer only? Thanks for the info!!!

Thanks Mr. Guest.
That was exactly my next quesstion, is this problem with every sd card or should I buy a new one?

SD card is fine it seems to be a problem with one of the updates and the abilities to store to a external sd I haven't seen anything that's saying that they fixed it or are even going to try to. I see the new one's coming out have more memory choices internationally (you pay more of course) I just took mine out started using on line storage for the incase phone crashes or something like that but the more sensitive information and crap the greater power's of the web hosting companies have no business knowing I back up to my computer untill I am happy with a fix for the sd problems I have seen. I tried different card's sizes and brand's neaver put anything I felt really important on them because they have crashed or write errors creating loss of what I had saved. Can't say I'm angry but not impressed with the problems that I have been having. On other hand how can they be able to account for all the scripts apps and types of file storage out there. What it comes with is great adding to it is better but better to be safe then sorry pull it off to cpu or online storage for some I like G cloud & one drive a few others use those 2 for auto back up wifi some offer not to bad free amount of storage space and of course you can purchase more if needed. In the end gusse have to remember that phones do as much as laptops desktop camera video camera all office functions ect... but it's still not each separate item in a hand sized some time's best to do a bit of separation of the information I love the camera on my phone but I still use my digital camera for many of my pictures. I really hope this helps any one who reads this some day's just have to step back and remember that if it's important then print it or save it where you know it's not going to be lost or online can you imagine carrying a whole office and photo lab in your shirt pocket not allways realistic this is just my thoughts anyways.......Good luck.....

Thanks all.
I don't leave Wi-Fi GPRS or Bluetoosh on. In fact, I hardly use them. My screen brightness is pretty low and there are no unusuall apps (at least not that I know of).
My main concern is that this draining started all of a sudden. One day I had 30 hours of actual battery power and the next it went down to around 25 hours and receding rappidly. If I wouldn't close all the apps via Battery Doctor every now and then it would have probably lasted less than 18 hours.

I am having the same exact issue. I think there must have been some update that happened. I just bought and received a brand new OEM Samsung battery and I took my phone off the charger at 5am with 100%. At 10am I was at 20%. I have not been using my phone for it to go through this much power. I also have wifi, bluetooth, gps etc. off to save battery. Any suggestions greatly appreciated!

Yea, same thing happened to me for a couple of weeks now and just yesterday noticed phone was heating up a lot more. Thanks google I found this forum and your post and spent the time backing up my data on the pc and now phone doesn't have the heat from the back, but yet to test the battery as I just unhooked it off the charge :)

Thanx a millions for tip....I betterbackup the micro sd card more often if I have too much pdf or img files on it.

I had this issue over the weekend (although I forgot to check battery usage stats). Only way I could resolve it was to hard reset my phone. If it happens again I will make sure to check the battery usage stats.

Hi there,
I have a Samsung Galaxy Note 3 SM-N9005, Android 4.3
For the first half a year it worked great as far as I could tell. I had Battery Doctor installed and the battery held out very good.
Recently, I started getting notifications from Battery Doctor that the battery is draining fast and it shows a lot of apps running that are using up the battery. The thing is that besides the fact that it wasn't like this before, even after I press the optimize button which supposedly closes the apps, the notification keeps showing and my battery really drains very fast.
I attached an example screen shot.
Can someone here help me solve this problem?
You can first Empty your battery competely after 12hours charg your battery then you see battery life is good if nothing then you upgreat your Mobile in new version your problem is solve

I'm having the same issue. it might probably be an upgrade that happened. But a friend told me to reboot my fone as this works sometimes. Maybe you should try it.

If rebooting doesn't help then maybe you should try to delee some applications that you are no longer using.

I have note 3 same issues but I found that if I turn on airplane mode it saves battery and charges 90% faster too. Takes a second to turn it off and on it works for now

Changing it to airplane mode would not make you receive any messages and calls. You better buy a new battery than doing things your not sure of.

I have a Note 3 that I have had for about a year and mine just recently started doing this too. Up until a month or two ago, the battery life was outstanding. Now the phone will die when in sleep mode. it will go from a 100% CHARGE to dead at night. and if I am using the phone you can watch the percentage drop like a hot rock ... maybe get an hour of use if lucky. I did a full factory reinitialization and removed every single app ... and it still does this. I upgraded to lollipop hoping that the new OS might help ... nope ... any suggestions? (Same deal: I leave it in powersaving mode, turn off blutooth and wifi etc ...)

I have a Note 3 that I have had for about a year and mine just recently started doing this too. Up until a month or two ago, the battery life was outstanding. Now the phone will die when in sleep mode. it will go from a 100% CHARGE to dead at night. and if I am using the phone you can watch the percentage drop like a hot rock ... maybe get an hour of use if lucky. I did a full factory reinitialization and removed every single app ... and it still does this. I upgraded to lollipop hoping that the new OS might help ... nope ... any suggestions? (Same deal: I leave it in powersaving mode, turn off blutooth and wifi etc ...)

I'm also facing the same issue... any solution?

Back