Battlefield 2042 Benchmarked: 30+ GPUs Tested

Must have been hell to test. Good job.

DLSS works wonders for me at 1440p using custom settings which looks like high/ultra without the shadows that makes enemies easier to spot.

Runs around 125-175 fps with DLSS Quality most of the time using 3080 Ti @ 240 Hz. Hoping for some performance patches and improvements so 200 fps can be archieved properly most of the time, without dropping too low on visuals. I am still tweaking.

With no DLSS, it's 90-125 fps. Less than 100 fps is not acceptable for me in a game like this.

Good DLSS implementation, close to Outriders level of implementation, meaning pretty much perfect with no blur and even improves upon native in some aspects of the game. Text on textures is crisper using DLSS compared to native, for example.

Does the game have DRM? Some people have CPU usage issues. Could be the reason for framedrops etc. I read Denuvu at some point, but I can't find it anymore. DO YOU KNOW if the game uses any DRM besides Origin

Last edited:
I know this is redundant and probably stupid but I gotta ask tho, what version of Windows are you using to benchmark this game?

So you can run this decently on anything above 4GB of VRAM, I guess that's fine.

One thing I'll say is I can barely tell the difference between Ultra and Medium presets in most cases. What I did notice is that the game visually looks kinda flat, definetely not impressive.

The game is a total train wreck. This list from Reddit shows off all the stuff wrong/left out of the game.

Core Features

• No single-player story
  • No standard server browser
  • Fewer standardized game modes (Can't even play TDM or smaller scale modes without relying on community servers. Really?)
  • Fewer base game maps than any other title (even including portal the map count is only 13)
  • No persistent lobbies (seriously why do I have to matchmake after EVERY round?)
  • Fewer in-game assignments (none outside of cosmetic unlocks)
  • No class system
  • Less character customization options (than BF5)
  • No profile progress/stats page in the menu
  • No battle log/stats tracker for other players
  • No global leader boards
  • No end of round assignment progress screen
  • No dog tags (they still sort of exist I guess?)
  • No custom emblems
  • Fewer achievements
  • No medals
  • No swelling crescendo of dramatic music near the end of a match (obviously this is the most egregious of the list)
  • Less destruction (only a small handful of destructible buildings on each map)
  • No map altering levolution (There sort of is but the maps are so big, anything that changes doesn't really affect how you play)
  • No cross-game profile screen (BF 4, HL, 1, and V were all linked by a menu if you owned them digitally, was a neat feature.)
  • No spectator mode
  • No permanent community servers (would be useful for clans and events)
Infantry Gameplay

• Fewer guns (even including all the portal guns, BF4 still had more at launch)
  • Fewer infantry gadgets
  • No manual leaning
  • No diving while swimming
  • No high wall vaulting
  • No crouch sprinting
  • No backwards prone
  • No explosion knockback
  • No rolling after falling from heights
  • No ammo or health pickup off teammates
  • No scope zeroing
  • No thermal optics
  • No indirect fire gadgets
  • Less anti-tank launchers (Come on man only one?)
  • No lock-on launchers (The M5 works with the SOFLAM but that requires 2 people)
  • No AP mines/claymores
  • No static weapon emplacements
  • No fortification building
  • No resupply stations
  • No suppression mechanic (This one I don't mind but I'm including everything)
Vehicles

• Fewer vehicle types (and separate vehicle progression per faction even though they are functionally identical... why???)
  • No naval vehicles (Except I guess the hovercraft technically)
  • No vehicle gunner direction indicator
  • No lock on direction indicator
  • No vehicle enter/exit animations
  • No tank turret decoupling (This was so great in BF4!)
  • Less vehicle driver/pilot customization options
  • No tank zoom customization options
  • No tank gunner customization options
  • No heli gunner secondary weapons
  • No separate heli/fixed-wing controls
  • No control input while looking behind/free looking in aircraft (BF1 and V pilots, this one is gonna absolutely suck for you guys)
Scoring System

• No squad wipe scoring
  • No player damage points
  • No vehicle damage points
  • No vehicle kill assist points
  • No headshot bonus
  • No long-range kill bonus
  • No assist counts as kill bonus
  • No squad objective play bonus
  • Oversimplified teamplay scoring (I.e. healing a teammate always gives you +5xp rather than the amount of health you give)
Squad and Teamwork

• No commander
  • No special squad call-in abilities
  • No squad field upgrades
  • No in-game VOIP
  • Fewer factions (with almost nothing to give the 2 factions any distinction)
  • No cross-team chat
  • No "create new squad" option
  • No "promote to squad leader" option
  • No clans
  • No view of squadmates while in the spawn screen
  • No "Medic incoming" indicator in downed state
  • No rank names/icons, just a number.
UI and Quality of Life
  • Less control customization options
  • Less UI customization options
  • No HUD/icon opacity customization
  • No HUD scaling customization options
  • No gunsight reticle customization options
  • No network performance graph
  • No individual player scoreboard
  • Less detail in the 'who killed you' screen
  • No ultrawide monitor support
  • Very poor friend joining system
  • No console aim assist (big fat **** you to console players there, dice)

Last edited:
The game is a total train wreck. This list from Reddit shows off all the stuff wrong/left out of the game.

GENERAL

Plus system is clunky dog ****

UI is clunky dog **** wrapped in cat ****. Might be the least intuitive I've ever seen

No Campaign

Lack of game modes

No hardcore

No military ranks associated with numerical ranks

Audio is poorly mixed

The maps, while stunning from both a scale and visuals perspective, lack any real flow for infantry combat.

Non-removable profanity filter

Lack of promised destruction/levelution

Faction locked weapons and gadgets in Portal

No rule editor support for objective based game modes

No server browser outside of Portal

No private/rented servers

Doesn't just roll into the next map after a game in AoW, back to matchmaking peasant

Cannot join friends already in a match (pretty sure I could do this in beta??)

Cutscenes all over the place

Cringe 'look at me' after a match

Cannot customize loadouts before joining a game.

Cannot select loadout or operator before joining a server which, in certain situations, spawn you directly into the game with whatever you had last game. This happens when joining a fresh breakthrough game, mostly.

BFV and Battlefront 2 were gutted to make this **** lol

No mouse and keyboard support for console

Options and description for kill sounds changed from beta. During beta it showed you would be able to choose between BF2042 and BF1 kill sounds. This same option now only lets you choose between BF2042 sounds or no sounds.

No Practice/Test Range

IN GAME

Zoom issues with sniper scopes

No zeroing sniper scopes, starting scope (not sure about the others) has no hash marks on reticle for references

Biggest maps we've ever seen, highest scope magnification is 10x

No holding shift/stick click to steady a sniper shot

No leaning

22 guns total lol

No ‘All’ chat

Enemies look the same as friendlies

Bullet spread / weapon inaccuracy outside of rock throwing range

Have to opt out of revive every death, no idea who can actually revive me anyway

Have to re-select spawn location every spawn

No resizable minimap

Cannot move while prone and ADS

Damage dealt numbers, e.g. "VEHICLE HIT 28" after hitting a tank with a rocket, have been removed. This applies to both infantry and vehicles.

Weapons can't have different sets of attachments in different loadout presets. Meaning if you want to have a suppressor on the one semi-auto pistol in the game for one preset, you can't have it without a suppressor in your other presets.

No fixed heavy weapons

AA rocket damage appears inconsistent

BF5 movement mechanics removed

Obnoxious voice overs, operators are incredibly vocal, every time you do an action they say a line.

Melee takedown animations have been gutted. All enemies are brought to a standing position before one specific kill is performed.

Cannot dive underwater

UI elements do not have transparency element and distant 2D/3D map markers and UI elements do not fade out by distance and cannot be scaled up or down

Good luck finding your marker on the map

TEAMPLAY/SCORING

No VoIP

No real scoreboard

No stats page

No commander

Cannot join, create, or lock a squad

Cannot switch teams

Repairing vehicles does not give XP

No squad points for issuing orders or following them

No marksman headshot bonus for long range snipes

'Assist Counts as Kill' has been removed

No vehicle kill assists

Spotting system is contextual and misses a lot of the time. For example, if you press Q over an enemy tank it doesn't always spot it, but places a go-to marker on that area.

The team/squad order menu (or whatever it's called) is a pile of garbage. It covers the entire screen, it requires using the mouse to select the options, but not clicking on them for some reason, you have to depress Q. This needs to be redesigned into a friendlier and smaller semi-transparent wheel. Plus, it's not contextual at all and it doesn't seem to have an impact to other players, I requested ammo constantly and nobody even saw my request.

VEHICLES

No separate Heli & Jet controls.

Horizontal pitch (or yaw) when set to mouse movement is inverted by design and cannot be inverted again like vertical pitch can. So your aircraft goes the other way than your mouse does.

No HOTAS support

Vehicle crosshairs are pixelated as ****

Vehicle entry and exit animations have been removed

Option for 'Vehicle Aim Relative Control' missing

Unnecessary changes to the aircraft flight characteristics from BF4 models

No maps with water and thusly no boats.. despite there being a big *** boat on the loading screen.

Cannot tell if there is room to enter a friendly vehicle without trying to get in it. To elaborate, you used to be able to see (from both a reasonable distance and, if memory serves, from the spawn in screen) that 'That APC over there' had [2/4] under the driver's name... so you instantly knew that the main gunner seat was most likely occupied and there was no reason to get in unless you wanted to hitch a ride.

When in tank, you don't have the little tank outline which tells you where the driver and gunner are looking at.

On the spawn screen tanks/helis use the same icon, you simply cannot tell if that's a transport or attack heli that you are spawning into.

BUGS

Unable to load persistent data

Grappling Hook is afraid of smoke

Bullets are afraid of power lines and tree leaves

Planes are afraid of landing lights on takeoff

No enemy footsteps / footsteps can be heard across the map

Revive is glitched when downed teammate's head is too close to something.

From what I can see, DLSS is not working properly or not making any difference

Crossplay issues on Xbox. Crossplay toggle is greyed out (defaulted to 'On') in game menu, but can still be toggled off in console settings (DICE has told Xbox players they need to do it this way, but that only helps the people that look into it.). People that have turned it off cannot find a match because no one else knows it is possible.

Last gen console performance is worse than beta

Poor hardware optimization on PC (my FPS is trash with a 5900X and 3080), crashing and overheating on console reported in multiple comments below.

Several people have mentioned being unable to rebind certain keys, or to have remapped them in the options menu and not actually have them move.

Several reports of changing crosshair and hit marker colors have all defaulted to black and will not stay the colors picked.

If you play with inverted controls and get into someone else's vehicle(friend, copilot or foe) you adopt their preference for inverted controls or not.

BFV's respawn bug
All in all: Such a piece of crap!

The game has bugs but you can easily play it haha. Every single BF has been bugged on release, nothing new. I dominate in pretty much every match, alot of fun so far.

Yeah listen to reddit whiners instead of trying the actual game yourself, thats the best way to go about it 😂 Sigh. Most of those whiners did not even play it.

The game has loads of potential and is not even released properly yet. It's already way better than BF V ever was. Worst BF ever created. Hardline a close second.

Portal mode in BF 2042 is the best thing ever in a BF game. Already replayed tons of old BF titles to perfection with much better graphics. Skins and weapon feel is 100% identical to the old games. BF Bad Company 2 still among the best games and BF 2042 have 2 of the absolute best maps from this. The custom game modes are fun as hell. I played for 15-20 hours so far and I did not even see 1/4 of the content yet + Alot more coming.

I got it for free so I could not care less about launch-bugs. They will get sorted out. This game is made to last. That is the whole point. Portal pretty much have endless posibilities.

Nostalgica all over in Portal mode... Awesome stuff.

Last edited:

GENERAL

UI is clunky dog **** wrapped in cat ****. Might be the least intuitive I've ever seen

No Campaign

Lack of game modes

No hardcore

Audio is poorly mixed

The maps, while stunning from both a scale and visuals perspective, lack any real flow for infantry combat.

Doesn't just roll into the next map after a game in AoW, back to matchmaking peasant

Cannot select loadout or operator before joining a server which, in certain situations, spawn you directly into the game with whatever you had last game. This happens when joining a fresh breakthrough game, mostly.

Options and description for kill sounds changed from beta. During beta it showed you would be able to choose between BF2042 and BF1 kill sounds. This same option now only lets you choose between BF2042 sounds or no sounds.

No Practice/Test Range

IN GAME

No zeroing sniper scopes, starting scope (not sure about the others) has no hash marks on reticle for references

No leaning

22 guns total lol

No ‘All’ chat

Have to opt out of revive every death, no idea who can actually revive me anyway

No resizable minimap

Damage dealt numbers, e.g. "VEHICLE HIT 28" after hitting a tank with a rocket, have been removed. This applies to both infantry and vehicles.

Weapons can't have different sets of attachments in different loadout presets. Meaning if you want to have a suppressor on the one semi-auto pistol in the game for one preset, you can't have it without a suppressor in your other presets.

No fixed heavy weapons

Obnoxious voice overs, operators are incredibly vocal, every time you do an action they say a line.

Melee takedown animations have been gutted. All enemies are brought to a standing position before one specific kill is performed.

Cannot dive underwater

UI elements do not have transparency element and distant 2D/3D map markers and UI elements do not fade out by distance and cannot be scaled up or down

TEAMPLAY/SCORING

No VoIP

No real scoreboard

No stats page

No commander

Cannot switch teams

No vehicle kill assists

Spotting system is contextual and misses a lot of the time. For example, if you press Q over an enemy tank it doesn't always spot it, but places a go-to marker on that area.

The team/squad order menu (or whatever it's called) is a pile of garbage. It covers the entire screen, it requires using the mouse to select the options, but not clicking on them for some reason, you have to depress Q. This needs to be redesigned into a friendlier and smaller semi-transparent wheel. Plus, it's not contextual at all and it doesn't seem to have an impact to other players, I requested ammo constantly and nobody even saw my request.

VEHICLES

Horizontal pitch (or yaw) when set to mouse movement is inverted by design and cannot be inverted again like vertical pitch can. So your aircraft goes the other way than your mouse does.

No HOTAS support

No maps with water and thusly no boats.. despite there being a big *** boat on the loading screen.

Cannot tell if there is room to enter a friendly vehicle without trying to get in it. To elaborate, you used to be able to see (from both a reasonable distance and, if memory serves, from the spawn in screen) that 'That APC over there' had [2/4] under the driver's name... so you instantly knew that the main gunner seat was most likely occupied and there was no reason to get in unless you wanted to hitch a ride.

When in tank, you don't have the little tank outline which tells you where the driver and gunner are looking at.

On the spawn screen tanks/helis use the same icon, you simply cannot tell if that's a transport or attack heli that you are spawning into.

BUGS

Crossplay issues on Xbox. Crossplay toggle is greyed out (defaulted to 'On') in game menu, but can still be toggled off in console settings (DICE has told Xbox players they need to do it this way, but that only helps the people that look into it.). People that have turned it off cannot find a match because no one else knows it is possible.

Poor hardware optimization on PC (my FPS is trash with a 5900X and 3080), crashing and overheating on console reported in multiple comments below.

Several people have mentioned being unable to rebind certain keys, or to have remapped them in the options menu and not actually have them move.

Several reports of changing crosshair and hit marker colors have all defaulted to black and will not stay the colors picked.

If you play with inverted controls and get into someone else's vehicle(friend, copilot or foe) you adopt their preference for inverted controls or not.

BFV's respawn bug
This belongs in the BF2042 forums, not here.

Thanks for these results!

You mentioned VRAM was a possible factor.
Could you tell us what VRAM usage is when you feel this way in the future? I'd rather know than assume.

Thank you.

So, like most BF games the engine is at least decently optimized at launch. Frostbite is some impressiv etech.

Sadly being saddled to EA's platform and company policies ruins it for me. I wont be buying it.
The game has bugs but you can easily play it haha. Every single BF has been bugged on release, nothing new. I dominate in pretty much every match, alot of fun so far.

Yeah listen to reddit whiners instead of trying the actual game yourself, thats the best way to go about it 😂 Sigh. Most of those whiners did not even play it.

The game has loads of potential and is not even released properly yet. It's already way better than BF V ever was. Worst BF ever created. Hardline a close second.

Portal mode in BF 2042 is the best thing ever in a BF game. Already replayed tons of old BF titles to perfection with much better graphics. Skins and weapon feel is 100% identical to the old games. BF Bad Company 2 still among the best games and BF 2042 have 2 of the absolute best maps from this. The custom game modes are fun as hell. I played for 15-20 hours so far and I did not even see 1/4 of the content yet + Alot more coming.
Hey, if you like it, good for you. Some people really liked fallout 76 and NMS at launch too. But it is undeniable there are a LOT of missing features for previosu games, which is rather inexcusable for a game from a company as big as EA and one running on an upgraded version of the same game engine.

I got it for free so I could not care less about launch-bugs.They will get sorted out.
OH, now it makes sense.
This game is made to last.
Incorrect, this game is made for you to consoom, preferably with the most expensive edition, which you can then fund further with microtransactions fo a few years until the NEXT battlefield comes out, then you can repeat the cycle.

No multiplayer game without player hosted servers is "made to last". OG battlefield 2? THAT was made to last.

So, like most BF games the engine is at least decently optimized at launch. Frostbite is some impressiv etech.

Sadly being saddled to EA's platform and company policies ruins it for me. I wont be buying it.

Hey, if you like it, good for you. Some people really liked fallout 76 and NMS at launch too. But it is undeniable there are a LOT of missing features for previosu games, which is rather inexcusable for a game from a company as big as EA and one running on an upgraded version of the same game engine.

OH, now it makes sense.

Incorrect, this game is made for you to consoom, preferably with the most expensive edition, which you can then fund further with microtransactions fo a few years until the NEXT battlefield comes out, then you can repeat the cycle.

No multiplayer game without player hosted servers is "made to last". OG battlefield 2? THAT was made to last.

And that post is exactly why they are able to release beta crap as finished games and charge money for them. Rinse and repeat.

Why no CPU benchmark ???

Having DLSS support automatically make this game better on nvidia GPU specially for people who play at 4K

GENERAL

No Campaign

Lack of game modes

No hardcore

Audio is poorly mixed

No Practice/Test Range

IN GAME

No leaning

22 guns total lol

No ‘All’ chat

No resizable minimap

No fixed heavy weapons

Cannot dive underwater

TEAMPLAY/SCORING

No VoIP

No real scoreboard

No stats page

No commander

Cannot switch teams

No vehicle kill assists

VEHICLES

No HOTAS support

BUGS

BFV's respawn bug

I got a friend bugging me to buy this to play it with him and I have a 6800XT but with a list this long I think I'm gonna pass for now.

Sadly, the game does not support FSR which I find a bit odd since the Frostbite engine is supposed to support it.
Maybe a paid for exclusive ?

Either way, performance on older / weaker GPU looks good - Vega results in particular are nice. For my kid it‘ll be 1080p medium then.

TS had concluded that you will need a Nvidia gpu to play this game, no matter what the graphs say or indicate. Remember, the more you buy, the more they get. This comment is 100% false information.

Did I miss anything ? Did not see that comment in the article ?

I got it for free so I could not care less about launch-bugs. They will get sorted out. This game is made to last. That is the whole point. Portal pretty much have endless posibilities.

Nostalgica all over in Portal mode... Awesome stuff.

Agree on Portal but the rest of the game is horrendous and there is no free to play Battle Royale which is just insane at this point.

I still can't thank enough one forum member here who advised me to go for the 5700XT when I asked for an opinion at that time. Good to know it is still strong at 1440p even at Ultra setting. (I bought it new at about USD $452 converted at that time.)

Dude, we get it, you have a lot of disposable income and buy up a bunch of the latest cards as soon as you can then brag about out it on here. You let us know every day.
Too bad there's no ever proof for all the boastings. Anyone can write anything from any basement, ya.

So you can run this decently on anything above 4GB of VRAM, I guess that's fine.

One thing I'll say is I can barely tell the difference between Ultra and Medium presets in most cases. What I did notice is that the game visually looks kinda flat, definetely not impressive.
It's usually high and ultra where it's hard to tell the difference, but medium usually has big downgrades especially in shadows and textures

Why no CPU benchmark ???

Having DLSS support automatically make this game better on nvidia GPU specially for people who play at 4K
Because testing well with multiple runs takes a LOT of time and Steve said it will be tested with cpus. Be patient.

In the end part of the game footage video of battlefield 2042... the pilot of the aircraft jump outside in middle of the air, and use a rocket lancher to hit another flying airplane...
LOL.
Till that point the video resemble reality, but that last scene called the game for me.

Back