Battlefield 4's second screen functionality detailed

Justin Kahn

battlefield dice ea battlefield 4 second screen tablet smart phone mobile device

A new video showcasing some second screen gameplay features that will be coming to the highly anticipated Battlefield 4 leaked this morning. Although it was briefly removed due to a copyright claim by EA, the footage has now been officially released, detailing a series of things people can do with Battlefield 4 Battlelog on their smartphones or tablets to complement their gaming experience, from accessing an interactive mini map, to finding and joining new servers. The game will even allow players to utilize real-time social statistical tools.

The game's producer Oskar Gabrielson says that the team was very focused on creating a fully integrated and deep tablet/smartphone experience for Battlefield 4. "People have their smartphones, they have their tablets, they have their computers next to them while they're playing, and we want to create the Battlefield where it can incorporate all these devices in the experience," Gabrielson said.

Players will be able to login to Battlelog from their mobile device anywhere to browse and customize equipment and load-outs, as well as see what their friends are currently playing.

The second screen features seem to shine even more during gameplay. As mentioned above, you can access an interactive mini map for a wider field of view than what you would normally get on your main display. It also really enhances the commander mode features, allowing players to drop attack points for their squad mates.

Another interesting addition mentioned in the video below is the new "Missions" feature. You can essentially create competitive challenges for yourself and your friends. For example, a 'Mission' could be to see who can destroy the most vehicles in a single round. Battlelog will then track the competitors' stats and send out notifications about who is currently in the lead.

Check out the full details in the video below. Battlefield 4 drops October 29 in the US and November 1 in the UK on Xbox 360, PS3 and PC. Versions for incoming next-generation consoles will be out this holiday season.

Permalink to story.

And no notice about any "standard" multi display usage f.e. 1 Display for actual game and the 2nd one for the map or something.....

And no notice about any "standard" multi display usage f.e. 1 Display for actual game and the 2nd one for the map or something.....

It was confirmed by DICE this morning on reddit that you'll indeed be able to use a second screen for a tactical view of the map while you play the game on the first screen. They also said pretty much every feature can be accessed from a second monitor, including the ability to search and join another server as you play a current game.

Sigh. Most of these features existed in BF2 era already. They just moved to the phone.

Joining another server without leaving the game? BF3 is the only game that asks you to quit to a stupid webpage when changing a server. What an advanced feature! Good news is that PB kicks you out every half an hour, so it's convenient if you happen to want to change a server.

Change loadouts when you die? Every game can do that, and now you have to do this from a tablet in BF4?

Minimap is interesting, but I doubt how many people want the trouble of messing with another device just for that. You can as well improve the minimap for large screens or multiple screens.

I was a die-hard BF fan for long, until BF3. I tried to enjoy, but your battlelog won't let me play. The layer you DICE/EA is putting between the game and gamer is really disappointing. It's OK to offer more features to stat fans, but please stop putting crap to complicate a simple and elegant experience. It's about the battle, the game, not others.

Sigh. Most of these features existed in BF2 era already. They just moved to the phone.

Most? Other than joining a server while in-game, what else?

Oh that's right, this is what happens when you use words liberally.

Joining another server without leaving the game? BF3 is the only game that asks you to quit to a stupid webpage when changing a server. What an advanced feature! Good news is that PB kicks you out every half an hour, so it's convenient if you happen to want to change a server.

I've never encountered such a thing.

Change loadouts when you die? Every game can do that, and now you have to do this from a tablet in BF4?

You can of course change loadouts when you die, that's not new. The feature is talking about changing loadouts in-game for your next redeployment, or while on the loadscreen waiting for a round to start, either from your phone or a second monitor.

Minimap is interesting, but I doubt how many people want the trouble of messing with another device just for that. You can as well improve the minimap for large screens or multiple screens.

Why not? Who wouldn't want to use their tablet while playing on their console, or their second monitor while playing their PC to have a Commander Mode-like view of the map?

I was a die-hard BF fan for long, until BF3. I tried to enjoy, but your battlelog won't let me play. The layer you DICE/EA is putting between the game and gamer is really disappointing. It's OK to offer more features to stat fans, but please stop putting crap to complicate a simple and elegant experience. It's about the battle, the game, not others.

Ah, so we finally reach what all of this is about. You seem to hate on Battlelog. You don't like being social, we get it. But other people do enjoy the social aspect of Battlelog, as long as it serves its purpose: connect you with other BF players. This is not "Facebook."

And let me tell you something "die-hard BF fan," Battlefield has always been about others.

Most? Other than joining a server while in-game, what else?
Stats, BFHQ was there in BF2. It's less polished, but it doesn't mean it's wrong. Command mode, we all know the story, right?

I've never encountered such a thing.
Fair. If you do some search, I am not alone. The real problem is useless EA and PB support won't solve the problem.

You can of course change loadouts when you die, that's not new. The feature is talking about changing loadouts in-game for your next redeployment, or while on the loadscreen waiting for a round to start, either from your phone or a second monitor.
Adding insult to injury, you can change your loadout for next deployment at any time in COD4. That's the regression I am not happy about. Same for BF2. Yes, probably I am spoiled.

Why not? Who wouldn't want to use their tablet while playing on their console, or their second monitor while playing their PC to have a Commander Mode-like view of the map?
That's nice to have, and I am not against that idea. However, it would also be nice to make the mini-map, or entire HUD more configurable so that single screen works just fine. I have three monitors, and sure I will enjoy the command mode, if they get it right.

Ah, so we finally reach what all of this is about. You seem to hate on Battlelog. You don't like being social, we get it. But other people do enjoy the social aspect of Battlelog, as long as it serves its purpose: connect you with other BF players. This is not "Facebook."
Not quite that anti-social. I used to run a big B2 site (bf2mod.cn), and meet lots of friends there. I haven't had time to take care of the site for last several busy years, but I am totally open and happy with meeting friends with similar interests. That's why I didn't complain a bit about the geo-leaderboard feature. However, DICE/EA definitely had the option to just put everything in game. I still remembered the sobering echo of BF2 when I open the game each time: "Welcome to duty." You will never have this feeling from Battlelog, because it's not a game. That's my major disappointment. You can add a web page. You can add a tablet/phone interface. However that's not the reason to take away what worked great, e.g. in-game stats, in-game browser, the ability to adjust setting without being forced to spawn. The feature missing from BF2 era was really an in-game friend connection, which was somehow remedied by BFBC2 Steam version. Origin tried, it's not perfect, but it's OK. Once I am in the game, it's not that bad. Again, then there is a thing called Battlelog stands in between. It does not have to work that way. DICE can totally make the web interface optional. For BF2, the stats was first exclusively in-game, and people make websites to compensate that. Now it's the other way. I don't understand why we can't have both. Do the in-game one, make it great and provide an API. Your community will finish the rest for you.

Just move everything into the game, and I will be happy. Battlelog has caused so many problems for me and couple of my friends (yes, some of us meet in BF2) just to launch the game. It's really sad that I have to jump that many places to get into a game, while we have "join the server" button for every in-game friends long ago on Steam.

Don't take me wrong. I love Frostbite, and battlefield. That's why I want to have fewer things between me and the game.

That is what I call next gen, bringing other devices into the mix of gaming to create a giant link. Get connected on the go! :D

Regarding Geo Leader boards, this looks a little Privacy breaking no?

Do please, enlighten me, No real names are used and the geo-location is generic to where the user is, it doesn't show their exact whereabouts, from what I can tell from the screens, it just shows the rough town near them. And even then, the only details you get are their game stats? I really don't think a pedophile will use battlelog to chase little boys, he can't get names, exact whereabouts and the only info he'll get is their game time...

The location based stats are not compulsory, you are able to opt out if you dont want to charee your location, it said so in the video they released :)

Meh.... not really that interestes in these "features". I just want to play the damn game. This BF is looking more and more like it is going to be a dissapointment for HC gamers. I'm sure all the myface kiddies will love it though. How long before they throw the tablet mommy and daddy bought them accross the room in an angry temper tantrum when they get owned?

Back