Beats by Dre launches Pill portable speaker, Executive headphones

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Beats, the audio company synonymous with rap mogul Dr. Dre, unveiled two new audio products on Tuesday. The Pill is a portable Bluetooth speaker system that looks to take some market share from Jawbone’s Jambox while a new line of Executive headphones aims to please those with an appetite for quality construction.

The aptly-named Pill (interesting name choice, don’t you think?) is described as being not much larger than a cucumber. There are four 1-inch drivers inside compared to just two found in the regular-sized Jambox but it’s worth noting that there isn’t a passive bass radiator.

beats beats audio headphones beats by dre pill

The Pill is available in your choice of black, red or white and includes a 3.5mm to 3.5mm cable, a USB to micro-USB charging cable and a small carrying case. The sound system supports a number of codecs and technologies including AAC and Apt-X and it can even be used as a speakerphone.

Tap-to-pair NFC connectivity comes standard. Beats claims users can expect to see around seven hours of battery life with the volume cranked to 75 percent.

The Pill is on sale now with an MSRP of $199.99 – identical to the suggested price of Jawbone’s offering, although it can be had for slightly less if you shop around.

The Beats Executive over-ear headphones deliver legendary Beats sound in a refined premium package that’s said to be easier than ever to travel with. The headphones accept a standard 3.5mm audio jack and lay flat for easy packing inside the included hard shell carrying case.

beats beats audio headphones beats by dre pill

The cans feature active noise-cancelling, powered by two AAA batteries that should be good for around 25 hours of run time. The set is constructed of lightweight brushed aluminum and is accented with dark grey hand-stitched leather pads.

Like the Pill, the new Executive headphones are also on sale right now through various retailers and directly from Beats. They can be yours if you’re prepared to shell out the $299 asking price.

Permalink to story.

I wonder if Dre will release a "special" edition Blue and Yellow Purple Pill. :p

My brother bought a pair of Beats By Dre earphone for his girlfriend of 3 months.

I facepalm'd so hard I ended up in the hospital for a concussion, but the impact was so great, so did everyone else behind me.

I was then simultaneously approached by an energy giant's CEO and a military contractor. The energy CEO said he'd like to harness the power of my facepalm to power 3 cities with clean energy. The other wanted to weaponize it. Sadly I was unable to reproduce the effect without a valid cause and that's why I'm poor again.

I was then simultaneously approached by an energy giant's CEO and a military contractor. The energy CEO said he'd like to harness the power of my facepalm to power 3 cities with clean energy. The other wanted to weaponize it. Sadly I was unable to reproduce the effect without a valid cause and that's why I'm poor again.

Walter Mitty's got nothing on this guy! :D

These are not allowed in MY gym. No one else needs to hear your Vanilla Ice anthology.. $200 headphones that bleed 90% of it's DB's to the surrounding world.

I don't too often hear what other people are listening to. They usually have it turned up to a volume high for them to hear it comfortably. Friend of mine next door comes over with his wireless ones occasionally and I never hear it even when it's at a louder volume or at least seems like a loud volume >_>

Back