Best DDR3 for overclocking

Status
Not open for further replies.

CMH

I'm looking for a good 1333mhz RAM for overclocking.

I'm not looking for the very best possible overclock, and therefore not going for watercooling.

Also, because of the heatsink I'm using for the CPU, I CANNOT have anything other than standard height RAM (Corsair Dominator is out).

Any suggestions?

I presume you are after 1.65v spec kit ?
Might be tough finding any standard height Corsair (XMS3) kits with long legs. Most of the higher bandwidth/lower latency stuff is Dominator branded, especially the tri-channel kits. Maybe the 2000 C7 kit (CMG4GX3M2A1600C7 -4Gb), or TR3X6G1600C7 -6Gb, although they aren't supposed to OC well (maybe 1700 at CL9 or 10-8-8-25, so not good numbers)
I've had some success with OCZ Platinum kits (OCZ3P1600LV6GK -6Gb, OCZ3P1600LV4GK -4Gb). Stock is DDR3-1600 @ 7-7-7-24 but you should be able to get 1850 @ 8-8-8-24 and maybe 1900 @ CL9. I havent worked with the Platinum 1866 (CL7 or 8) or 2000 (CL9) but reviews are fairly positive.
Mushkin might offer an (expensive) alternative. Don't know what availability is like is Aus. No stockists in NZ so they are horrendously expensive, but both the Ascent and Frostbyte heatspreaders are virtually standard height.

I don't really know much about DDR3 at the moment, and taking a look at the offerings out there, I WAS tempted by the Gskill ECO series (1.35V!!) but the C7 ones which I was after doesn't seem to be widely available.

As far as I know, Corsair seems to have an ego the size of K2 (Everest is taken by Kingston) and have raised their prices accordingly. Plus, their better offerings have tall heatsinks.

From reviews, 1600 and higher memory don't seem to like being overclocked. I'm assuming thats because they're reaching the max potential for DDR3.

Also from reviews and performance analyses, RAM timings don't seem to affect the i5 750 (or i7 for that matter. Didn't read into AMD, so no idea).

Because of all this, I might look into the OCZ you mentioned, and see how high I can go with really loose timings. Like I said, I'm not going for the highest overclock, if I can get a 20-25% improvement in performance (as opposed to increase in clock speed), I'll be extremely happy.

p.s. Mushkin is available in Aus, but pretty hard to find, and I suspect would be expensive as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back