Bios settings 4 New Barracuda 200 GB SATA as Master, "precautions?"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi

My system is
Powered by GIGABYTE nVIDIA 6600 GT Graphics Engine
HyperThreading, Serial ATA, PCI Express 16x, etc.
- 520W PSU

:: FULL SPECIFICATIONS ::
- RAIDMAX Ninja Series ATX Chassis with Front Audio & USB
- INTEL Pentium 4 630 3.0GHz 2MB L2 Cache 64bit Processor
- Generic 1GB DDR400 Dual Channel Memory
- GIGABYTE GA-8I915PL-G Motherboard (http://www.giga-byte.com/MotherBoard/Products/Products_Spec_GA-8I915PL-G (Rev 2.x).htm)
- SEAGATE Barracuda 200GB SATA Hard Disk Drive
- Pioneer Dual/Double Layer DVD-RW
- nVIDIA 6600 GT 128MB DDR3 PCI Express 16x Graphics Card by GIGABYTE
- Integrated High Definition 8 Channel Audio Controller
- Integrated Gigabit Ethernet Controller
- 6+ USB 2.0 Ports

I read through the thread @ https://www.techspot.com/vb/all/windows/t-31631-Bios-Settings-For-A-Nonraid-Serial-Hard-Drive.html. and found that informative but not quite sure what is going on. The first time I'm setting up Master - Slave SATA configuration, and though I get some stuff, others I'm seeing for the first time & Still looking through the rest of the threads, I'm using my old pc that is running on dialup so its slow going.

I want to install a SATA II Seagate 200 GB as my master and run my old one as a slave & This drive I've brought is suppose to be a new one, is there anyway to check if anything else was installed on it?

If it is clean, what are the steps to assign it as the new master? (version for dummies would be greatly appreciated) :thumbsup:

If it isn't clean, will it still be the same?

I don't think my old one is SATA II, and was wondering if the warning Mohlianum posted applies to me.

"WARNING: Switching SATA modes in the BIOS after installing the operating system is not recommended when a SATA drive is the boot drive. Switching modes may cause an "NTLDR" error, an immediate blue screen error followed by a reboot, or another boot failure."

I was also wondering if my old drive, when assigned as the slave, and any of its old files, are completely isolated from the master? I don't want the new one to pick up any bad habits that drive developed. It was giving me this problem of assigning 2 USB addresses for output, and any output information sent by my application to the USB port would get lost at the fake one. I say 2 USB ports for the same Hardware device because everytime I loaded a new output device, the HWDW would detect twice, and I had to complete both Detect Wizard setups before my device manager would show up that the device was added. I have no idea where the first detection process was saving.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back