'Black Ops 4' will be this year's entry in the Call of Duty franchise

Shawn Knight

Staff member

The 2018 entry in the long-running Call of Duty franchise – not due out until November, mind you – will be Call of Duty: Black Ops 4 according to industry insider Marcus Sellars as recently reported by Game Rant.

The carousel of lead developers is set to land on Treyarch this year. Infinity Ward and Sledgehammer Games have also worked on Call of Duty titles in the past although Treyarch has always led production of Black Ops games.

Sellars claims Black Ops 4 will be set in modern-day and will feature “boots on the ground” gameplay. That means jetpacks and other futuristic weapons and gear won’t be included – no doubt good news for CoD fans that have grown weary of increasingly futuristic entries like Infinite Warfare and Advanced Warfare.

The insider says Black Ops 4 will launch on PlayStation 4, Xbox One, PC and on Nintendo’s Switch. Referring to the latter platform, Sellars said it’ll support DLC, HD Rumble and motion controls. A company “familiar with CoD games” is working on the Switch port, he said.

As is always the case when dealing with rumors, note that they shouldn’t be viewed as concrete. That said, everything seems to line up here with regard to the timeline (November), the type of game (Black Ops is due for another release) and support for the Switch (Nintendo’s console is now a major player alongside systems from Sony and Microsoft).

Permalink to story.

All for the keyboard commandos. Try getting out for the real smell of gun powder, weight and recoil. Your video games serve nothing more than to desensitize you to killing.

COD needs to just go away

Actually it needs to stay, name a single game that deliver what COD deliver? Let's get real here they produce good games, sometimes I get tired too but not everybody wants bloodborne or darksouls, Monster Hunter or Gears...

They are doing good job with those games and if they can improve on the formula and deliver better stories I'm ok with that... I played every single battlefield and let me tell you they are not even close.

All for the keyboard commandos. Try getting out for the real smell of gun powder, weight and recoil. Your video games serve nothing more than to desensitize you to killing.

Are you saying that people should put down their games controllers to go and pick up actual guns? Are you also implying that you're more likely to kill if you've played these video games than if you get to grips with actual firearms?

Huh?

Actually it needs to stay, name a single game that deliver what COD deliver? Let's get real here they produce good games, sometimes I get tired too but not everybody wants bloodborne or darksouls, Monster Hunter or Gears...

They are doing good job with those games and if they can improve on the formula and deliver better stories I'm ok with that... I played every single battlefield and let me tell you they are not even close.

Battlefield 1 is better. joint operations typhoon rising back in 2004 was better. Even the older Call of Duty games are STILL better.

Completely based on my opinion.

Are you saying that people should put down their games controllers to go and pick up actual guns? Are you also implying that you're more likely to kill if you've played these video games than if you get to grips with actual firearms?

Huh?

I play plenty of first person shooters and also run my local gun club... by the logic of many people I should be a maniac. If anything makes people kill people it is isolation, those that never touched a gun in their life and sit in their room all day being out of touch with reality.

So they just stuck a 4 on this years box and are calling it a day by the looks of it, I guess it's better than the snafu Battlefield is going to be in when the next game in their franchise comes out unless they simply call it Battlefield 2 and also call it a day...

Who are you even directing this comment to? If you haven't noticed the majority of the people here don't actually support CoD or dislike it in general. Your statement is so out of place it's just stupid.

Battlefield 1 is better. joint operations typhoon rising back in 2004 was better. Even the older Call of Duty games are STILL better.

Completely based on my opinion.

Yeah the new CoDs are garbage. Ww2 got me excited but then the maps were tiny hallways. Not fun. I have more fun playing cod4-blops then any of the new CoDs. Blops3 and (gasp) AW actually had ok maps but I'm not a fan of "boost sliding", dashing in mid air and double jumps. I like modern but not far off future with jet packs. I also HATE that they added silly costumes, boxing gloves, etc. Some people hate that BF is more like CoD than ever but honestly I love bf1 domination because it reminds me of older CoD domination. The PC ports of CoD have been garbage as well which doesn't help.

I switched to PC around blops2 and went back and bought most of the older ones again on PC. I'm hoping treyarch can make some decent maps this year but honestly there are a lot of other good games out there. I miss good CoD (and old Rainbow Six). I refunded IW and didn't buy ww2 because of how bad the beta was. Those are the first 2 CoDs I've not owned since CoD2. They've fallen off big time. I wish I could refund all of them from ghosts forward. I still have fun playing all the old CoDs but there are a lot of good newer games that aren't CoD... Insurgency/insurgency sandtorm (I'm in the alpha), bf (domination), overwatch, CS, paladins, pubg, battalion, black squad, and more. I'll look forward to CoD every year but won't support it if it's garbage like the last few years.

I watch American news channels to get my desensitivity, to killing .But I go hunting with my dogs and a shotty,for game birds and snowshoe rabbits, or my 22-250, for a coyote,my Dads 1944 303 british lee enfield ,which still has Canadian armed services markings from ww2. had a moose licence this year ,but I saw too many too early and got jinxed. :(
love the smell of gunpowder in the morning,anytime.especially while watching a moose fall over.

what was the topic again? oh, I enjoyed and still have COD 2 ,and 4,5 world at war. recently picked up ghosts for 7 bucks., it seems games these days are being ruined by GREED! I bought a new ATV this year with tracks , I play games a lot less, I have a huge playground ,all around me.a hunter/anglers paradise.
Hey! ,I like my isolation,you should see some of the spots I isolate myself ,with a flyrod,or my 12" beagles . I only go maniac when someone messes with my isolation.

So is this an actual pc title ported to console or a console title ported to pc?
the switch version will support DLC ,does this mean that only the switch version will support DLC or they all will support DLC.I'm out if that's the case. out doors.
Hey Joe ,where you goin with that K/B in your hand? sorry I had to do it...:) old jimmy Hendrix number..

Last edited:
Back