Black Screen after Windows welcome screen

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just recently upgrade my computer with a new motherboard, CPU and RAM. It was previously freezing when trying to reformat it when someone looked at it I was told that the CPU was overheating so I just upgraded. Well, when I started the computer after the upgrade it seemed to work fine. I need to reformat the hard drive so I tried but after the screen that says "press any key to boot off disk" it goes straight to a black screen. Also, it goes to the black screen right after the windows opening screen. Any ideas guys? I would really appreciate it. I have had nothing but problems with this computer ALL summer!

You have to set your optical drive as the first boot device in the BIOS and then boot with your Windows CD in the optical drive tray. You can change your BIOS back later.

Is your hard drive IDE or SATA? If it is SATA and you are installing XP, you might need to install SATA/RAID drivers during the OS installation procedure.

thank you for your reply but I have already set up the cd rom to be the first boot device. also, the hard drive is IDE.... any suggestions now? :) i need all the help i can get!

Just checking, if you have the hard drive and optical drive on the same IDE cable, did you keep the same master/slave relationship on the cable and with the jumper settings as you had on the old motherboard? And just be sure double check the tightness of all the connections.

Also, when you said, "Well, when I started the computer after the upgrade it seemed to work fine." do you mean it was fine up to the point where you pressed any key to boot from the CD?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back