Black screen at boot up

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just put together a SLI system. Everything was fine at first. Last night I was playing WOW and the screen/computer froze.

I waited approximately 15 seconds and nothing happened so I did a ctr-alt-del and the screen went black for about 15-20 seconds. I figured the system rebooted but then up came the same freeze/screenshot that I had before.

I think at that time I waited then powered of. When I booted it back up the bios hung forever then told me a windows 32.system file was missing and I needed to put in my disk and enter repair mode.

Did a ctr-alt-del with windows xp disk in drive.
Black screen.
No Bios
No feed to monitor.
No HDD light.
Cd-rom flickers and stops.
All power is working, case fans are going, MB light is green as usaual.

Unplug unit many times for 5 minutes still nothing. In desperation I took out battery and reset the jumpers for my CMOS.

Still no response.

I have no internal speaker from my case to my MB (No I am not happy about that :mad: ) so I can not get a BIOS audio error if there is one.

Specs:
Window XP Pro 64 bit OS
Asus A8N-SLI Deluxe nForce 4 SLI
AMD Athlon 64 X2 4400+ Processor Socket 939
Corsair TWINX1024-3200C2 2GB DDR400 XMS3200 Dual-Channel
Dual SLI BFG GeForce 7800 GTX COD2 PCI Express 256MB DDR3 Video Card
Enermax EG701AX-VE-SFMA Noisetaker 600W Power
LG GSA-4167BB 16X Dual Layer DVD±RW Drive
Maxtor 250 GB serial ATA drive

Would greatly appreciate any advice, I have a feeling its the MB but not sure...

All power is working, case fans are going, MB light is green as usaual.
What about CPU fan, mobo chipset fan, and GPU fan? Could there be an overheating problem? Do you know what your temperatures are?

BTW, since your mobo has pins for a case speaker, you can buy one separately. In light of your problem it might be worth it, if not for now then for later.

Thanks for the reply Mailpup.

My CPU fan, MB fan and both GPU fans are running. Really doesn't seem like a power issue, although I did try unpugging power supply and holding in the power button for 10 seconds then reboot. That didn't do anything either.

As far as temperature goes my bios monitor was on and did not give me a warning.

I went to ASUS site and they said it could be powersupply, MB or chip. They also said to try replacing them one at a time. What a joke. Has to be a better way.

Thing is it worked, briefly.

Yeah, it could be defective parts. You could try disconnecting everything except for the bare minimum components to see if you can boot up. Then gradually reassemble everything else to try to isolate the problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back