Black Screen on HP Laptop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everyone!

I've run into problems with my HP Compaq 6715b laptop. I've been getting black screens at random times - never during startup / shutdown but just during normal use.
I've tried to see if it's a display problem by hooking up an external monitor etc. but there was no signal. Another symptom which makes me think that the monitor is not at fault is because the music I'm playing at the time of a black screen stops as well.
All I can do is switch it off then back on again - starts up ok though on the bright side! :rolleyes:
If anyone knows what I can do to fix this just let me know!

Thanks!

I too have the same problem with my Dell Vostro 3400. It happened to me thrice.

The laptop screen just goes blank and nothing seems to work. The only option left is to Force ShutDown using the power button and start up again. And it does start up properly though at start up it gives the option of SafeMode booting.

I called the Dell guy and he said he would be replacing the Fan and heat sink. Will this really solve the problem???

James -- How did U fix Ur problem??

sounds like you have heating issues and need to dust, heat sink and fan may help prolong the issue but it wont solve the problem, the thermal compound techs use, and the lack of proper seating with most of the chipsets make for some real heat issues.

i had the same problem with my laptop untill i got tired of sending it to hp for "heat sink and fan repair" i tore it down, blew out the fan and heat sink, took the old crud off the processor, awed at the fact that the heatsink didnt touch the gpu and the northbridge chipset, put copper shims and AS5 on it and been running 15-20c cooler ever since.

one other thing is that if your getting black screens and random shut downs from heat, likely hood that your gpu is already toasted is pretty much a given, and should send it to the factory for a new motherboard and heatsink fan combo, then do the mod after you recieve it again, and not wait for it to do it again for the third time.

just my .02 cents

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back