BlackBerry Z10 Review: The Last Hope

Jos

Staff
Read the full article at:
[newwindow=https://www.techspot.com/review/637-blackberry-z10/]https://www.techspot.com/review/637-blackberry-z10/[/newwindow]

Please leave your feedback here.

As as IT professional that is right in the middle of a transition from BB to iPhone, I'm afraid that it might be a case of "too little, too late"

What was the email and instant messaging apps like? Was integration with a BES tested?

These are the 2 major things that any enterprise (especially the one I work for) would want to see prior to adopting this device in favor of the other devices on the market.

No home key, and for good, now Apple cannot sue Blackberry I guess. Actually, I have never understood why the home key must exist. No change in size of the charging adapters, bravo!

My last $0.02... I own the Torch, and not going to upgrade yet or at all, I think the possession of the manufacturing facility by Lenovo will raise the plank of quality by the next device release. Also interested in seeing the Ubuntu and FireFox phone reviews.

I call fail on Z10. A BlackBerry that cannot make it through a single business day of heavy use is no better than what's already on the market.

As I noted in one of my earlier comments, there is absolutely nothing compelling to go back to BB. Anyway at work we choose to allow only two mobile OS devices, I.e. iphone & WP, and I think we'll be sticking with this for a long time.

What the hell were they thinking putting such a pathetic battery in a phone. Unthinkably stupid. All in the hope of keeping the device slim.
I almost want them to fail for making such a blunder

Right now they are aiming for a niche market.
Hopefully they will sell enough so that they came make changes in the future and release much better versions of the OS and phone.

I dunno, apart from the lousy battery life I quite like it. I use my smartphone (SGS III) much the same way I used all other ordinary cellphones, making/receiving calls & messaging and not much else. I'm really not fussed about what type of phone (or specs) I have as long as it's not Apple. I would give this a try. I really hope Blackberry succeed.

I love how people are complaining about a touchscreen and LTE's battery life.

But anyways, lets see how this works out. Might even check one out later to see how it feels...

There's just nothing compelling about BB10. Nothing. It doesn't do any thing new or better than any other smartphone out there, while at the same time, missing many features users have come to expect.

Time will tell how well the new BB 10 phones are accepted by the consumer, especially the loyal customers who have been waiting to upgrade their hardware.

What Blackberry has done is provide a hardware and software platform that competes with the otehr smartphones. Like someone mentioned in another comment, the objective initially will be to retain their customers and hoepfully make some in-roads in the future. This is only the beginning. Blackberry need sto build on this to stay relevant.

I will definately get the new Z10 as I've been waiting to upgrade my Blackberry Bold device. I don't see why anyone who is happy with their phone and/or tablet plus apps will switch now.

A dead phone walking

Not sure how you come up with this assertion. For all BB users, it is a reasonable upgrade. However, as I said in my previous comment, for someone who isn't in BB ecosystem, there is no real compelling reason to make a switch. So, as long as reasonable number of existing users make the switch to new platform, they may be able to live to fight for another day.

A dead phone walking

Not sure how you come up with this assertion. For all BB users, it is a reasonable upgrade. However, as I said in my previous comment, for someone who isn't in BB ecosystem, there is no real compelling reason to make a switch. So, as long as reasonable number of existing users make the switch to new platform, they may be able to live to fight for another day.
'

So far it looks like they will live to fight another day. Sales numbers are great in the UK and Canada. Will have to wait until march to see what happends in the US.

If they do indeed survive, I think it'll be a good thing, because it means more choices.

By the way anyone wanting to try Ubuntu OS on Galaxy Nexus, it is coming soon, so that will expand the options for many users as well.

I wanted to get excited, but after reading a few reviews...ugh. Most of my worst fears have been realized. Even more depressing, the Q10 will have all the same limitations. This is not a Blackberry any more than an SGS III is a Blackberry. My only hope is that enough hard-core users will upgrade just to have their apps and personal data easily ported to a new device. Then maybe, just maybe, BB Inc will catch up with the rest of the industry *for real* while also restoring all of the BB functionality they took out of BBOS 10.

I have been a long time BB user. I absolutely loved my 9900, Torch's and Curves, but I had to give up my BB devices. Why? Because the company I work for decided they are no longer going to host a BES server. Now they would buy me an iPhone or an Android so at least I have a choice as long as its not a BB or Windows Phone. Also as a sales engineer at a software company that has a mobile component to the suite of apps we sell, I need to demo the mobile app all the time and since we don't support BB or Windows Phone I need to have an iPhone or Android device with me all the time anyway. Basically I am forced into an iPhone or Android for work. Otherwise I would stay with my Lumia 920 Windows phone or my BB 9900. I have talked with many colleges at similar companies and it is the same for many of them. We have been forcefully dragged kicking and screaming away from our Blackberries in favor of iPhones and Android devices. While I think competition is good for us consumers, I just don't see it in the business world. You basically have a choice between iOS and Android. I really hope that BB is successful but honestly, I just don't see it happening. End of an era I think...

I wanted to get excited, but after reading a few reviews...ugh. Most of my worst fears have been realized. Even more depressing, the Q10 will have all the same limitations. This is not a Blackberry any more than an SGS III is a Blackberry. My only hope is that enough hard-core users will upgrade just to have their apps and personal data easily ported to a new device. Then maybe, just maybe, BB Inc will catch up with the rest of the industry *for real* while also restoring all of the BB functionality they took out of BBOS 10.
Like what? I don't see what you're seeing here...

Back