Blizzard posts several job listings for unannounced new Diablo project

midian182

Staff member

With the new game proving to be so incredibly popular, you could forgive Blizzard Entertainment for putting its current focus solely on Overwatch. But it seems that the company may also be about to start work on one of its most beloved franchises: Diablo.

Blizzard has posted a series of job listings on its website for an “unannounced project” set in the Diablo universe. In addition to seeking artists and animators, the company is looking for Diablo III lead director Josh Mosqueira's replacement.

Whoever ends up leading the new Diablo project will require five years of experience in directing video game development. The new “vision holder for the franchise” also needs to have “shipped multiple AAA products as a game director or creative director.”

Mosqueira replaced Diablo III game director Jay Wilson in 2013, overseeing the many improvements that helped the ARPG become the tenth best-selling video game of all time. He left his position to "pursue other opportunities."

“With Diablo III in a good place at this point, Josh felt that now was a good time to pursue other opportunities with minimal impact to the team,” Blizzard said. “We’ll be filling the director role either from within Blizzard or externally.”

It’s unclear whether the new hires will be put to work on another Diablo III add-on or if they’ll be creating an entirely new Diablo title. It’s been over four years since the third game in the series was released on PC, and two years since the excellent Reaper of Souls expansion pack arrived. The console versions of Diablo III – Ultimate Evil Edition – launched in August 2014.

With Blizzard only at the hiring stage, you can guarantee that it'll be quite a while before any new Diablo-related content arrives. While it’s not without precedent, it’s hard to imagine a company wanting to introduce new add-ons for a game that, by next year, will be over half-a-decade old. We’ll just have to wait until BlizzCon in November to see if there’s any mention of Diablo IV or a series spinoff.

Permalink to story.

I think diablo 3 might be the most improved game of all time , Mosqueira did a brilliant job , certainly much better than jay Wilson . The game was mediocre on launch but once the AH got removed and the loot system changed and a million other little changes it was a very good game. It also pulled of a miracle in having a really good console version that helped get the PC version changed for the better.

I think diablo 3 might be the most improved game of all time , Mosqueira did a brilliant job , certainly much better than jay Wilson . The game was mediocre on launch but once the AH got removed and the loot system changed and a million other little changes it was a very good game. It also pulled of a miracle in having a really good console version that helped get the PC version changed for the better.

AH D3 = Sub-par

Fixed D3 = Mediocre

Grim Dawn = What Blizzard should have done with D3.

They did move it a ways forward but it is an imba cluster still.

For example, when you level a party from scratch, a single member in your party can spike ridiculously like 8x dmg with a single set compared to the rest of the party and then everyone else just becomes baggage. They may grind for days or weeks and still be baggage. So fun! Thanks sign me up!

The discrepencies still exist in the late game where classes are just crazy imbalanced on solo. Wizard is like 14 greater rift levels than some other classes in season. What a joke! It's class lottery each patch - which classes are irrelevant next patch? Yay!

The multiplicative bonuses are just stupid and 90% of items in the game are not in the meta - but that may change every patch! "Here's a change to a set no-one uses! We just threw a 10x retroactive power bonus on it! Now your other sets suck!" And in a grind game, they traditionally severely restrict your stash space. I haven't seen if this has been properly addressed but I believe Blizzard has given a token extra few tabs?

Headless chooks running the game. Still garbage (just not Jay Wilson level garbage) and such a waste after D2!

Sincerely
Fmr top 50 NA server Wiz

EDIT: This is what I'm talking about - game philosophy/objectives are not about making all the classes useful http://I.imgur.com/w3Ivukb.png

Last edited:

AH D3 = Sub-par

Fixed D3 = Mediocre

Grim Dawn = What Blizzard should have done with D3.

YES my thoughts exactly. I had been playing Titan Quest instead of D3 until I finally broke down and bought Grim Dawn on Early Access.

Path of Exile is Diablo 2.5.

Grim Dawn might be Diablo 3, if we're talking about direct game design. Not sure, haven't played it, all I know is that it was basically vaporware since it's been in development since they finished Titan Quest well over a decade ago.

I also echo what Darth says about the game. It's just a "flavor of the month" kind of thing, set dominance rules the game and the balance changes every, single, patch. Blizzard does not understand how to manage Diablo.

Back