Blu-ray discs crack 100GB barrier, two new specs introed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matthew DeCarlo

Staff

If today's 50GB Blu-ray discs aren't roomy enough for your needs, the Blu-ray Disc Association might have something right up your alley. The organization has announced two new media specifications, BDXL (High Capacity Recordable and Rewritable discs) and IH-BD (Intra-Hybrid discs), and the former offers up to 128GB of storage by incorporating three to four recordable layers.

BDXL is mostly aimed at commercial sectors, such as broadcasting or medical and document imaging enterprises that need high-capacity discs for archiving purposes. It provides 100GB or 128GB write-once options, while rewritable solutions peak at 100GB. A mainstream version of BDXL is also in the pipeline for regions with high BD recorder consumption.

IH-BD discs aren't quite as capacious as BDXL, but they're an interesting development nonetheless. The discs implement a single BD-ROM layer and a single BD-RE layer to protect users from overwriting critical data, while still remaining flexible. All of that's fine and dandy, but there is some bad news: you'll need new hardware to play back or record BDXL or IH-BD media.

Permalink to story.

"but there is some bad news: you'll need new hardware to play back or record BDXL or IH-BD media."

but of course! :p

Now make them sumbitches a buck a piece and sell me an internal blue ray drive for my desktop for 40 bucks and I'll think about using a disk for anything again. Oh and also make really cheap blue ray players everywhere especially in my car stereo.

I know this is just for the medical field but what's the point? I can't imagine any of this would be cheap. The burner/reader alone is probably a stiff investment. The disks won't be cheap. All for a very easily damageable storage solution? Thanks, but HDD are cheap as hell and don't scratch easily.

hello ...

the size is good, the need for new hardware is bad.
for the PS3, SONY was already working on higher than 50Gb BD compatible with existing hardware, but if with 50GB disks actual we have games like Uncharted 2, Final Fantasy XIII, God of War 3, i'm OK with it for the the next 5 years of current gen.
let the new Blu-ray be for next gen ;)
space is never too much when we speak of digital content, mostly for backup purposes, it is too expensive right now to be adopted by the 'grand public' yet for big enterprises it's a great affordable solution.
hard-disks cost less, except for the SSD versions, they are good for frequent & temporary backup for they don't need to be scratched to be damaged, they are re-writable so not that secure & risk of sabotage is higher.
@ the time i was working for myself, we had a DATA protection & Recovery department which measured all the options & risks, we found that optical storage is safer, but we need to choose the right brand & chemical composition. (no damage with water / mold, no erase, lighter & easier to handle & store/catalog .. mostly when working in tropical environment where i am)

cheers!

200 bucks is just to little for a Blu-Ray player! Lets get those prices back up to a grand a pop!

...maybe HD-DVD wasn't such a bad idea? Then again, the only reason these formats exist is because the media companies are shoving it down our throat, if intelligent people were making the calls physical formats would be gone.

tengeta said:
if intelligent people were making the calls physical formats would be gone.
Good thing it'd the dummies making the decisions then. I'm sure the day will come when we can no longer own any media, and have to count on a high speed connection being available at all times, pay per view, and have a per country (or worse) segregation (since it's easy to control which movie is delivered where). But since a huge number of people don't have that network yet and since some people do like the feeling of owning a movie they bought (even if this is just a feeling), or importing a movie that's not available locally (even though Blu-ray does have some annoying regioning), I'm happy that physical media still exists.

Richy2k9 said:
hello ...

the size is good, the need for new hardware is bad.
for the PS3, SONY was already working on higher than 50Gb BD compatible with existing hardware, but if with 50GB disks actual we have games like Uncharted 2, Final Fantasy XIII, God of War 3, i'm OK with it for the the next 5 years of current gen.
let the new Blu-ray be for next gen ;)
space is never too much when we speak of digital content, mostly for backup purposes, it is too expensive right now to be adopted by the 'grand public' yet for big enterprises it's a great affordable solution.
hard-disks cost less, except for the SSD versions, they are good for frequent & temporary backup for they don't need to be scratched to be damaged, they are re-writable so not that secure & risk of sabotage is higher.
@ the time i was working for myself, we had a DATA protection & Recovery department which measured all the options & risks, we found that optical storage is safer, but we need to choose the right brand & chemical composition. (no damage with water / mold, no erase, lighter & easier to handle & store/catalog .. mostly when working in tropical environment where i am)

cheers!

Hello ur post could be better if u put the compilation of HD Videos aside aka Final Fantasy XIII the rest its ok lol...

Glue a couple of blu-ray disks together and... BAM you got double the space!
I guess thats the direction of which technology is headed with the hex cores and multi gpus.
I guess two is better than one. Makes sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back