Blu-Ray playback

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, I'm new at these forums. I been wanting to get a new PC that could give me flawless Blu-Ray playback and occasional gaming. Besides a Blu-Ray drive what kind of CPU / GPU will I need? Is it better to go with a AMD cpu? A fast Core2 Duo like the E8500 or a quad core Q6600 or Q6700? As far as GPUs' are concerned I heard ATI's HD 3000 series or even 2600 XT is great for this or should I get a Nvidia based GPU? I will use a 24" 1920 x 1200 monitor and of course Vista Ultimate. Will I get Blu-Ray playback on par with Playstation 3? Thanks a bunch!!

If you're going to play Blu-Ray disks make sure the monitor you get is HDCP compliant first which means it should have digital connections such as DVI, HDMI or Display Port. That's one of the ways of getting the best image quality.

For the GPU (which is what will do most of the decoding), you can get any Radeon 2400/2600/3850/3870, they support hardware decoding of high definition movies (the 2900XT desprite its big price tag doesn't support it for example). If you prefer nVidia, I believe the 8800GT/GTS (not the 320/640MB versions) & above also support hardware decoding of said movies.

The CPU shouldn't change much in the equation, as I've said the GPU is what will be doing most of the decoding.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back