Blue Ray Playback issues on LCD dvi

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all,

Bit of a strange one that has me baffled.
I have a Compaq pc, it has an LG GGC-H20l blue ray player which came pre bundled with Cyberlink Powerdvd 7 ultra.
I have just tried a new blue ray film and it wouldnt load, I had to download a patch, critical according to Cyberlink. This didnt help at all, as now the software Powerdvd 7 just crashes when play is clicked. Am awaiting assistance from Cyberlink. They did send me links to download the software and patch, but that had the same effect,

So I tried Arcsoft blue ray software, the same result.

I then decided to test PowerDvd 9 Ultra, and that crashed. BUT, I tried using Windows Media Centre, and it got as far as Loading Blue Ray Movie, then crashed, but said it was a security issue, I had to change my DVi monitor for a VGA one. Very odd I thought..

Luckily I had a 15 lcd VGA monitor here to try, so I changed them over, and low and behold the Blue ray film now plays.

Im gutted as my dvi monitor is 19" widescreen and is a much nicer picture and the 15" is just that 15" and small... anyone know why this is the case with blue ray security? Im not quite sure of the message it gave, just basically said my current digital display was not possible due to security on the film disc, and that I should try a VGA analogue display. ( I thought the whole idea of blue ray was to be digital... for quality? )

My games all play fine etc on large screen.

Im wondering if this is why so many people are having issues with blue ray playback on LG drives with Powerdvd 7.3 etc. The security warning is not visible on the powerdvd software as a standalone product, it only shows when using Windows Media Centre, which utilizes the cyberlink powerdvd software to play.

I also find it odd that only Tower Pc's seem to have issues with blue ray playback, yet my laptop Acer which has blue ray, has NO such trouble playing films ...

This security nonsence is going a bit far when it is affecting those of us with genuine films and genuine software and hardware...

Thanks all, hope someone can shed some light on this for me.

Edit !

"Fail to enable HDCP. Please switch to analog output (VGA,D-Sub) and try again.

It would appear the issue is my newer 19" lcd widescreen is not HDCP compliant... so will not playback , whereas my graphics card 9800gtx is capable of the signal, monitor is not.. how weird... all because of security on the disc ?? how is this security? it only stops me playing it on my one monitor? not an older monitor?... baffled even more.

HDCP ensures that you are sending your signal to an approved display device. If you send your image out digitally then the device receiving it must support HDCP (High-bandwidth Digital Content Protection.) If you are watching this via an analog connection then the output is at a reduced resolution.

all because of security on the disc ?? how is this security? it only stops me playing it on my one monitor? not an older monitor?... baffled even more.
It was someone's crazy idea to copy protect BlueRay DVDs that way. It prevents you from sending a high definition output to, say, a different computer and recording the HD signal. As the poster above said, if HDCP is not enabled, you will be watching the movie in a reduced quality.

FYI - it's bluray or blu-ray - no idea what blueray or blue ray are.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back