Bottleneck with a Radeon 5770?

T0a5t3d

I'm considering a video card upgrade from a G80 8800gts 640MB to a Radeon 5770. will my system be bottlenecked by the cpu or ram? and is the performance boost worth the price? I found one at an NCIX for 159.99 on sale so I'm tempted to get one right now. I will mainly use this to play Battlefield BC2, Borderlands, and Left 4 Dead 2, if that helps at all.

My specs:
Intel Core 2 Duo E6300 OC'd @2.45GHz
2gb Corsair XMS2 DDR2 800MHz
nvidia 680i SLI motherboard
OCZ StealhXStream 600W PSU
8800GTS 640MB G80

what resolution do you typically run games at? i could possibly see a little bottleneck if you're on a smaller monitor but you should be fine. you could always just enable v-sync and raise the texture and lighting settings to keep the card busier. the E6300 will be able to keep up.

as a side note, BC2 is the only game you listed that supports DX11... so you don't really need a new video card. the GTS should be plenty powerful to run the game in DX10, and it's definitely good enough for L4D and borderlands.

Thanks for the quick replies! I have a 17 inch LCD so optimally I'd like to run them at 1280x1024, but I'll sometimes go lower if I'm getting graphical lag. It's just that the games I mentioned don't run as smoothly as I'd like (something like 40-60 fps), and from what I've gathered from benchmarks and reviews, this card is quite capable of handling most games on max settings.

Def don't need a 5770, or any other 1GB card for that matter, to run games @ 1280x1024. The 8800 (especially the GTS with 640MB vRAM) is still a pretty good card for newer games. If you experience some lag just keep the resolution and drop some of the quality settings like AA or AF. Of course an upgrade is never a bad thing either so if you really want a new card then by all means. The 5770 is a decent mainstream card, but like I said you may want to consider a bigger monitor to utilize its full potential; to get your money's worth :)

I agree with the others it's not worth it for you with that monitor/resolution. I currently play all those games on a 4770 at max settings (AA/AF off in BFBC2) with no issues. I guess it's a bit subjective but 40-60 FPS is pretty smooth for me. It's usually anything below 30 that I feel a choppy-ness. You could of course always OC and see if you can squeeze a little extra out of what you have to improve performance.

Back