Brand new build, fresh install, computer freezes up

Hi, I'm trying to help my very frustrated teenage son with his PC that he's built himself. He's confident that he's bought components which should all be compatible but on running graphically demanding games (and "some" benchmark tests), the computer keeps freezing and requires a hard reset. I'll try to detail the problem as bast I can:

PC Specifications:

Motherboard: MSI Z170 TOMAHAWK
Processor: I5 6600K (3.5 GHz) CLOCKED TO 4.1 GHz
Cooler: SPC FORTIS 3 v2
Graphics Card: XFX RX480 GTR 8GB
PSU: CORSAIR VS650 650w
RAM: KINGSTON 2133 8GB
SSD: TRANSCEND 128GB SSD
HDD: WD GREEN 1TB
Windows 10 Home 64-bit

Benchmark Tests:
Prime 95 - runs fine
FurMark - runs
Heaven Benchmark - crashes PC after 30secs - 1min (freezes, hard reset required)
Fallout 4 (any presets between Medium - Ultra) - crashes PC after 30secs - 1min (freezes, hard reset required)

Some other points to note:
  • The PC always crashes in the same way - a solid colour fills the screen (e.g black, white, orange, brown) and the speakers emit a loud buzz. It is then completely unresponsive and requires a hard reset.
  • This was a fresh installation of Windows 10 and all updates have been installed
  • All drivers for all the components have been updated from the manufacturer's websites.
  • He has tried default settings, overclocking and underclocking the GPU and CPU with no effect.
  • He tried increasing the voltage to the GPU a little, with no effect.
  • The PC operates fine browsing the net, watching YouTube, working with documents, etc. It only freezes during more graphically demanding situations, but even then it's inconsistent because FurMark is designed to push the GPU to the max, and it runs fine.
  • The GPU never reaches more than 79 deg C and the processor never over 65 deg C

I would appreciate any advice. Many thanks.

Things you should try:
1. If you have unused power connectors (from your power supply to a Graphics card - 6 pin or 8 pin), switch them over on your graphics card. Could be a faulty wire not supplying enough power to the graphics card to when it draws more for the games you are attempting to play.
2. Download DDU (Display Driver Uninstaller), drop to "Safe Mode", run the DDU program, Clean & Restart option, reinstall latest version of video drivers, reboot again and attempt testing again.
3. Monitor the temps during normal (non gaming) tasks. What are the temps? Are they above / below or average?

Ok, had similar issues... Try to use non clocked CPU .. it could be overheating.

Try to upgrade or add more fans or liquid coolent system.

Try to run Windows 7 insted (better software and hardware compatibility at the moment and always upgradeable to ten)

Ensure there is no dust, if you can wipe it with your fingure and see dust buildup then try to use an air compressor or canned air on lowest that will blow dust, and try to blow it out.

My experience was bad memory modules causing basically the same symptom.

But before you come to a conclusion there is a faulty component, take the machine apart again and put it back together. This may remove any potential bad connections between the components.

I had a similar issue as well, and in my case it was the PCI-E slot that was faulty. Switching to x8 slot until I could a replacement solved it. My symptoms were almost identical as well, general use and non-graphically intensive games were fine, but anything put a moderate strain on the GPU would crash after a minute or two.

After an upgrade to a better power supply, which still didn't work, we returned the graphics card to the shop. After all this time, having sent it off to the manufacturer, they sent us a new one. Everything thing works fine, so that was clearly the problem. Thanks to everyone who helped out in this forum.

Back