Breakthrough could bring tenfold increase in battery life

Matthew DeCarlo

Staff

Although the autonomy of mobile computing devices has improved in the last decade, the gains are mostly through advancements in microprocessor and display technologies. Batteries themselves have remained largely unchanged in recent years, but a team of engineers at Northwestern University claims to have discovered a breakthrough that could revolutionize the industry.

The researchers have developed an electrode for lithium-ion batteries that increases the capacity and recharge rate by 10 times. If accurate, the innovation could afford smartphones with an all-week battery life instead of a day, and recharge times would be measured in minutes instead of hours. Even after a year of regular use, such a battery would be five times more efficient.

Lithium-ion batteries are charged by a chemical reaction that causes lithium ions to move between the anode and cathode. As energy is used, lithium ions travel from the anode to the cathode through the electrolyte. This is reversed when recharging. The anode is composed of carbon-based graphene sheets and they can only handle one lithium atom per six carbon atoms.

Scientists have attempted to replace carbon with silicon because it is far more efficient at transferring lithium atoms, but its charging capacity degrades too quickly. Meanwhile, because the graphene sheets inside today's batteries are only one carbon atom thick and comparatively long, the recharging process is hindered. Physorg describes the process as an "ionic traffic jam."

The researchers have drastically improved both qualities by sandwiching clusters of silicon between the graphene sheets. This stabilizes the silicon while allowing the graphene to transfer a larger number of lithium atoms. To improve the recharge rate, the team uses chemical oxidation to create tiny 10-20nm holes in the graphene sheets, giving the lithium ions many shorter paths to travel instead of clumping along the edges.

It's said that the group has focused on improving the anode but it should make further refinements when it begins working on the cathode. The technology is expected to reach consumers within three to five years. A full overview written by researcher Harold H. Kung has been published by Advanced Energy Materials (Volume 1, Issue 6, pages 1079-1084). That release is available through Wiley online library, though it's not free.

**Image via Milos Luzanin/ShutterStock

Permalink to story.

Fantastic. Have thought that for years, all tech seems to be advancing quickly apart from that of batteries. Looking forward to this tech hitting the streets in a few years.

This is insanely great! I hope developments do not halt and more effort is taken to improve battery life. I hope this breakthrough could be available sooner though. (of course after the necessary tests has been carried out.)

Hey Google! Put down the self-driving car and space elevator, throw some money at batteries, you're missing out guys!

"The technology is expected to reach consumers within three to five years"

Wow is that disappointing.

If capacity is up x10 and they charge 10 times faster wouldn't the charge time be the same as it is now..The article states charge time in minutes not hours.

ghostchili said:
If capacity is up x10 and they charge 10 times faster wouldn't the charge time be the same as it is now..The article states charge time in minutes not hours.

No. What this means is that the energy density is up 10 fold (IE, rather than the Galaxy S II having a 1.45Ah battery, it'll be able to have a 14.5Ah battery with no size increase). At the moment, batteries can be charged (generally) at 1C - I.E the Galaxy S II's battery can be charged at 1.45A normally without issue. Some more high performance batteries (those used in the R/C market for instance) can be charged at 10C, so a rate 10x that of the capacity. This battery technology is promising 10x the charge rate (the C), so it depends on which sort of battery they're comparing it with.

Charging a battery at 10C means for the SGSII you'd have to charge at 14.5A (or with the 10x capacity, 145A), which is far more than a USB port is designed to supply (1A @ 5V, which means current phones charge at less than 1C already). I can't see the charge rate increase being utilised by most consumer electronics, but it's nice to have if the technology could be used with electric cars.

treeski said:
"The technology is expected to reach consumers within three to five years"

Wow is that disappointing.

Thats disappointing? Whats disappointing is I could bet my life savings that we will not see this in 10 years. There has been a few articles over the years about battery technology and I've yet to see anything result of it. And with technology, manufacturers don't like to make big jumps. They like to spoon feed innovations. So if they give us this technology, they'll reduce its full potential somehow.

lchu12 said:
Wonder whats the cost to get these batteries to be integrated with today's tech...

I would think the answer would be 0 beyond the cost of producing the battery itself. Same battery design except using better materials. But no doubt they'll change the battery connection so you'll have to upgrade your phone first but thats par for the course and 2 years to phase out old batteries isn't that bad.

Well if those are technological years we could be seeing that next year perhaps? I hope they get more funds after this huge breakthrough and get more people to work on it =)

Although a great advancement in battery life; It will never make it to market.
Ok do I sell 10 batteries or 1 battery.
Humm
More profitable to sell 10
Humm
I sell 10
Ok

Guest said:
occupy batteries

Occupy @Guest remarks :-D

I always take these revolutionary new approaches with a few grains of salt. As me olde grandpappy used to say, the devil's always in the details and you don't see him until you go digging. So we shall see.

Where this tech could have a very immediate effect on society is its potential benefits for the range, weight and cost of electric vehicles for consumers. They could become much more affordable and practical if the tech lives up to the researchers' glowing reports.

Guest said:
occupy batteries

Occupy @Guest remarks :-D

I always take these revolutionary new approaches with a few grains of salt. As me olde grandpappy used to say, the devil's always in the details and you don't see him until you go digging. So we shall see.

Where this tech could have a very immediate effect on society is its potential benefits for the range, weight and cost of electric vehicles for consumers. They could become much more affordable and practical if the tech lives up to the researchers' glowing reports.

there's no information in 'batteries' - googles only interest is information.

If this actually happens, electric and hybrid cars may not be as useless as they are now... The main problem with these cars right now is battery capacity, long recharge times, and longevity.

Never gonna happen.
Big Oil will lobby against it. Buy the patent then burn the prototypes.

Guest said:
Never gonna happen.
Big Oil will lobby against it. Buy the patent then burn the prototypes.

.....what the H, E, double hokey sticks does oil have to do with any of this?

Indeed.
Also, I think it's pretty difficult to charge a battery of that size at a fast rate.

RE: Comment on oil companies...

The oil companies will see that this technology and how it has wide ranging applications beyond mobile devices. Namely the integration into electric cars. Considering that this technology could potentially solve one of the major disadvantages of current electric cars, you can see why an oil company could feel threatened...Hence the comment about the oil companies buying the patent (to stop further development).

Guest said:
RE: Comment on oil companies...

The oil companies will see that this technology and how it has wide ranging applications beyond mobile devices. Namely the integration into electric cars. Considering that this technology could potentially solve one of the major disadvantages of current electric cars, you can see why an oil company could feel threatened...Hence the comment about the oil companies buying the patent (to stop further development).

This is absolutely correct. Big oil will likely buy the patent and we will never see this. I am an engineer in this field and I can tell you I have witnessed this personally on at least 3 occasions. Battery tech will not improve until we are nearly out of oil (and natural gas etc) and then it will be the the oil companies that control this tech and there is nothing to be done about it without drastic legislative changes and that will not happen until we are are on the brink of disaster. Sorry folks, keep your chargers handy..

Back