Broadwell, Skylake desktop CPUs scheduled to arrive mid-year, leaked roadmap reveals

Shawn Knight

Staff member

leak broadwell skylake intel cpu chip

Those looking to upgrade or build a new system using Intel’s upcoming unlocked Broadwell desktop processor won’t have to wait too much longer if the latest leaked roadmap proves accurate.

According to the slide, unlocked Broadwell chips with a 65W TDP on the LGA package are scheduled to arrive by the middle of Q2. That time frame could put their arrival just before Computex, a trade show in which motherboard manufacturers typically roll out new products.

(click to enlarge)

The next K-series chip from Intel will be Skylake-S, a 95W chip on the LGA platform. As a “tock” in Intel’s tick-tock release cycle, this chip is expected to be completely redesigned with better performance and reduced power consumption. According to the slide, the “K” variant will be joined by standard 65W and 35W variants.

As Tech Report highlights, Broadwell and Skylake desktop parts will co-exist since the former will utilize existing 9-series motherboards while the latter will likely require a new chipset. Mobile Skylake chips, meanwhile, are set to arrive just ahead of their desktop counterparts although they’ll use BGA packages.

leak broadwell skylake intel cpu chip

Last but not least is Broadwell-E which isn’t scheduled to arrive until early Q1 of 2016. It’s listed in “X” and “K” variants on the LGA package with a thermal envelope of 140W. It should be compatible with existing X99 motherboards.

Permalink to story.

Nice but I'm not planning to upgrade anytime soon but when I do these still-to-be-released chips will have seen better days by then.

So starting with September/October we're going to have desktop and laptops with Skylake? Pff.

What do we even know of Skylake?

So starting with September/October we're going to have desktop and laptops with Skylake? Pff.

What do we even know of Skylake?

The next K-series chip from Intel will be Skylake-S, a 95W chip on the LGA platform. As a “tock” in Intel’s tick-tock release cycle, this chip is expected to be completely redesigned with better performance and reduced power consumption. According to the slide, the “K” variant will be joined by standard 65W and 35W variants.

If you're looking for final specs now, it's too early for that.

I still dont see any need to change my i7 940... Am I worng?

No you are not wrong. If it does everything you want it to do then there is never a reason to upgrade. I have a 3770k in my system and honestly that will definitely last me at the very very least another 3 years. so ill jump into Cannonlake or the one after that.

No you are not wrong. If it does everything you want it to do then there is never a reason to upgrade. I have a 3770k in my system and honestly that will definitely last me at the very very least another 3 years. so ill jump into Cannonlake or the one after that.
Let's be honest here. His i7 940 itself is good for Cannonlake's successor unless he is really into video encoding or game emulation or photo editing. Your 3770K will be good for even longer.

If you are on a desktop, does power consumption really matter? I would never buy a "tick" like Cannonlake as a desktop CPU, time permitting of course. The tocks are much more interesting.

Let's be honest here. His i7 940 itself is good for Cannonlake's successor unless he is really into video encoding or game emulation or photo editing. Your 3770K will be good for even longer.

If you are on a desktop, does power consumption really matter? I would never buy a "tick" like Cannonlake as a desktop CPU, time permitting of course. The tocks are much more interesting.

Ya for sure he would be good when cannonlake comes out and I agree tocks are much more interesting and that's why I said either cannonlake or whatever is after it but I don't see myself upgrading until DDR4 is cheaper or another form of memory comes out. Probably 2018 or 2019 I see doing a new build.

Back