BSOD 0x0000008E

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys, yesterday I was downloading random crap and happened to download a file with a trojan called "Smart Anti-virus 2009" attached to it. I figured I could get rid of it fairly easily. However, a few minutes after starting system scans for the bug, I get a BSOD. It did it's whole memory dump thing, and here is the message it gave me:

Stop 0x0000008e (0xC0000005, 0x974026AC, 0x995A048C, 0x00000000)

I rebooted and it seemed to be working fine until about 5 seconds after logging onto my windows user profile... then it crashed again with the same error. I rebooted again (this time into safe mode) and it worked. So safe mode works fine and normal mode doesn't. Anyways, I finally got rid of the trojan completely while in safe mode. I hoped this would fix the BSOD problem as well, but it didn't.

I'll attach a few minidump files for you to look at. I google'd around a bit and thought it had something to do with the memory or registry. However, I ran some memory tests and they all came out fine. In fact, I've ran just about every test I can think of, including something called "RegCure."

If you have any ideas, I'd be happy to hear them. Thanks!

Well there are two problems with that...

1) I'm using Windows Vista. There is only one service pack released for Vista at the moment...

2) I can't download or install virtually anything in safe mode. I've been playing flash drive tag with my two computers. Downloading the files and putting them on a flash drive to move to the corrupted comp.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back