Bsod Irql_not_less_or_equal

Status
Not open for further replies.

senthilkt

Hi,

This is a Compaq laptop, Pentium M 745 (1.8ghz?), Win XP pro with SP2.

I am getting this blue screen error, and the error message is always either IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL or DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL. Except for once when it said CANCEL_STATE_IN_COMPLETED_IRP.

It looks like it happens only when I close the browser. But again I use my laptop mostly for browsing the internet, 90% of the time. So I am not sure. It all started a month ago, I started getting this error once in couple of days. Now I get this error more than once every day. I use netscape and firefox, so I don't know if IE will cause the same error. The couple of times I tried opening and closing it, there was no error.

I changed the pagefile size to 2 (it did not allow 0) and then back to 768. I ran disk defragmenter. I ran memtest for close to 20 hours, 0 errors. This is really bugging me. Nowadays whenever I am done with it, I just leave all the windows open and log off. Can you please help me figure out what is the problem.

Thanks.
Senthil

Might be best to check out the 0x48 bugcheck first, as all the dumps have a similar bucket id, either 0x48_nt!IoCancelIrp+5d or 0xA_nt!IoCancelIrp+6a. Try the solutions outlined HERE. Zonealarm is definitely out of date.

CANCEL_STATE_IN_COMPLETED_IRP (48)
This bugcheck indicates that an I/O Request Packet (IRP) that is to be cancelled, has a cancel routine specified in it -- meaning that the packet is in a state in which the packet can be cancelled -- however, the packet no longer belongs to a driver, as it has entered I/O completion. This is either a driver bug, or more than one driver is accessing the same packet, which is not likely and much more difficult to find

Thanks. I will try disabling all the virus and firewall software and update the drivers.

I used nothing but IE yesterday. I did not get any BSOD error. Any idea why it happens only with Netscape and firefox?

I rechecked the dumps and IE was the process in 2 of them (including the most recent), so it's not a Netscape/Firefox issue.

Just an update. I have WinPatrtol, SpySweeper, and ZoneAlarm installed on my laptop. I disabled all three, and enabled each one of them. It looked like SpySweeper was the culprit. I have uninstalled SpySweeper and have not received the BSOD in the last two weeks.

Hi,

Your version of ZoneAlarm (ie Tue Aug 30 08:22:30 2005) has known software problem. Do you install a new version of ZoneAlarm?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back