Bsod: Irql_not_less_or_equal

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reading a lot of messages regarding this issue, didn't get much of a conclusive answer (and most were from 2005/2006)

I got a brand new set up, loaded up XP on it, installed everything & NVIDIA drivers, everything worked fine... 2 - 3 weeks later I would wake up and the computer had rebooted over night, All event logs look similar to this:

Error code 10000050, parameter1 fffffff8, parameter2 00000001, parameter3 806036c2, parameter4 00000000.

I had over 10 of these at one point, sometimes differnent parameters.

I even tried reviewing minidumps etc.. but lets face it, I dont know what I'm doing. I know one minidump pointed to http.sys ( I believe)

So I dont have time to really fiddle around with this, so i just dealt w/ the reboots (appeared to only happen throughout the night anyways never while i was actually working on something) but like a disease, it started happening more and more frequently to the point where I'd come home and the screen would be blank, i would do a hard reboot and nothing would come up. cold reboot nothing. reseated ram, nothing, cleared cmos, nothing, reseated cpu, bingo worked again...

When I got into system I ran 4 prime 95s (one for each core) etc.., system passed all ram tests for 2 days straight. I didn't get it, next day the computer rebooted again 2 days later same deal, 1 days later, reseating the cpu didnt' work, but reseating the RAM did. To the point where I couldn't even boot into windows any more.

each reboot generating another minidump and another ERROR code w/ a very similar read to the one posted above (the one posted above is just the most recent)

So i reinstalled windows xp figuring that could fix something, computer was fine for 2 weeks, started happening again, but more frantic this time.

This is the point where I said screw it (and this is where the story gets interesting) I Figured w/ all the reseating my mobo must be screwed (considering i was reseating different components) I just went out and bought a new motherboard, ASUS P5KC, installed everyting windows etc.. NVIDIA drivers kept telling me I wasn't getting enough power to my Video card, (My powersupply is a 950 watt, but only 20 amps over the 12v rail) I thought this was madness, I have a friend w/ the same video card and old mohter board (abit ip35-e) even his powersupply was getting the same message, and their computer is stable.

I figured just drop another 200 and buy another power supply and I could be out the boat, but instead my friend suggested setting the RAM timings w/ my other mother board (one thing i didn't try), I said fine.

I return the ASUS, reinstall the ABIT, set up BIOS correctly, (timed everything out) reinstalled windows etc... Everything is fine for 2 weeks and yesterday the computer started rebooting.

I said okay screw this i'm asking for help before I buy anything else.

Before I left to work this morning I saw the

Blue Screen: IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

I got the event log starting with:

Error code 10000050, parameter1 fffffff8, parameter2 00000001, parameter3 806036c2, parameter4 00000000.

(can get longer info / minidumps if need be)

Do i need to buy ram? A new power supply? a new mobo?

anybody?

SPECS:

Pentium- 2.4 Quad Core
G92 series GTS8800 NVIDIA 512 RAM
Crucial Ballistix 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400)
RoseWill 950 Watt power supply

anybody help, if there is anything more you need from me, please tell me and i'll provide when I get back home tonight.

Attach your minidumps to your next post. The more you give the better chance we have of finding a solution.

Since you know how to find your minidumps then It is these files that we need you to attach to your next posting, NOT the folder.

Below your reply screen is the Additional Options screen. Notice the Manage Attachment button.

minidumps

When i got home was blue screened, rebooted, failed to load windows (well it was on the win XP screen w/ scrolling bar at bottom for over 10 minutes) so i rebooted

got another BSOD:

STOP: 0x000008E (0xC000001D, 0,x80622548, 0xBAD134B4, 0x00000000)

removed one stick of ram (i'm almost certain reseating would've done the trick, I've tried removing one, then removing the other, same result w/ both (in different slots as well))

anyways, computer booted up and lemme attach 3 minidumps

dont know if u need them but here are the event logs:

1:27:15am
Error code 0000000a, parameter1 00000000, parameter2 00000002, parameter3 00000001, parameter4 8052249e.

10:49PM

Error code 1000000a, parameter1 00000000, parameter2 00000002, parameter3 00000001, parameter4 8052249e.

8:25:35 PM

see warnings for this too : TCP/IP has reached the security limit imposed on the number of concurrent TCP connect attempts.

doubt that has anything to do w/ anything but I woudln't be surprised if it does.

any help appriciated thanks, i've tried looking through these minidumps, I do not know what to look for, hopefully after the kind souls here help me w/ this problem, I can start reading them on my own. Thanks again.

If it helps at all, i remember last month when I tried looking at minidumps... i saw this a lot more ...

(i formated so i no longer have those files, but i'm sure if i give it a few more days i'd have gathered more...)

DEFAULT_BUCKET_ID: INTEL_CPU_MICROCODE_ZERO

All three minidumps point to the same thing: Memory Corruption.

Either one or both of your sticks is corrupted and need to be changed. But first run MemTest for a minimum of 7-10 passes (this will take a long time) and if you have errors then run each stick indifividually.

Crucial makes good memory but I have read about people having issues with that particular offering.

As for running MemTest I would just run it with the one stick that allowed you to boot up and then swap out. If your PC blue screens even before it can boot to Windows there is your culprit. I speak from experience.

BSOD Irql_not_less_or_equal is nearly always a memory problem, or a driver problem... sometimes a video graphics problems.
Most of the error lists you post are merely memory dumps where you computer is flusing what is in memory at the time of the failure.
I would start by testing one memory module, then the other. Then run the free MemTest86, if it will run at all, for four hours or 7 passes, on mone module at a time.
Crucial is among the best, but any memory manufacturer's modules can fail. Crucial will, of course, replace it... which many others will not do.

I am now hoping this is my culprit, replacing ram is much cheaper than replacing anything else.

Unless both memory modules are bad, I have had experience with this PC crashing before hand with both modules, which led me to believe that this may be a mother board issue, but then all 4 slots would have to be bad. Is there anyway that this mother board issue could be screwing up, causing memory corruption?

This may sound silly, but the cheapest part of my computer would be my power supply (rosewill is not the best of companies, should have known better for 950 watts for such a reasonable price). Is there anyway that the power supply could be screwing up, some how generating memory corruption?

Just for my personal education...I looked through these minidumps myself, w/ just a simple !analyze -v , I don't know what i'm looking for, I couldn't conclude these were memory dump issues, what was key to your findings in the dumps?

Here is the thing: even bad memory can boot up for awhile before crashing your computer. Run MemTest on both sticks.

As for the Roswell psu I would go over to NeEgg, look up your particular model and see what the customers are saying. It certainly isn't science but it can give an indication, but like anything PC you'll have people with various experiences.

A bad PSU will cause serious issues but I don't think that is what is causing your problems.

As for minidumps it says Probable Cause: memory_corruption. They are in ever minidump.

With "Bsod: Irql_not_less_or_equal", anything is possible, but we have not seen the error from a defective power supply. Ever.
Memory is usually not the cause, but I have seen it occasionally. And not when it passes the MemTest86 four hour run.
More likely is a device driver, or a defective video graphics.
But, sure, it could be the motherboard... but how do you test for it.

24 passes 0 errors, first stick
25 passes 18 errors, second stick

Did we just find something?

Is this enough to definitively say these were causing the Blue screen, but I believe it is a great place to stat.

Knew this ram was bad news, i wanted 2 x 2gb sticks, ordered the wrong ones... now the right question, what is a good brand for 2 x 2 gb sticks? (that can possibly OC) , maybe i'll pick some up tonight

-Adam

this is usually ALWAYS a ram stick problem. pull out the second stick and the problaem should dissapear. this DOES NOT, however, meen that the stick itself is bad, it could just be that its the wrong type, speed, class, etc. brands are pretty much all the same in my experiance, as long as whatever stick is bigger, either the size or the mhz, is placed in bank 1.

Yup. Second stick is "bad: in the sense that it is not right for that install. Even one error means the stick is "bad" for that install. Memory can be working, but too slow, such as Value Ram, and will flag a MemTest error. But the result is the same as far as your motherboard is concern... in most cases.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back