BSOD - KERNEL_DATA_INPAGE_ERROR

Vilky

Ever sense I got me new GTX 660 I got constant BSOD screens, I thought my card was defective but the BSOD states this error

KERNEL_DATA_INPAGE_ERROR

STOP: 0x0000007A
*** NTFS.SYS

I did my research and I found out that this problem is very consistent with Hitachi HDD's which I have *I'll post my specs below* I found this fix of another post

Use the check disk commands as follows:
1. Click Start.
2. In search window type 'cmd' and ENTER. Right click and select 'Run as administrator'.
3. Type at the command prompt CHKDSK /P and press ENTER to scan the disk.
4. Then type CHKDSK C: /F /R and press ENTER to repair corrupt sectors, if there are any.

I get this error in command prompt

"Invalid Parameter /p"

so I skip that step and go on the the next step and I get this Alternate action

Chkdsk cannot run because the volume is in use by another process. Would you like to schedule this volume to be checked the next time the system restarts? (Y/N) *Y*

This volume will be checked the next time the system restarts.

and then thats done I restart and nothing happens I keep crashing while gaming.

the problems dont end my Minidump has no crash file whatsoever so I cant attach them "maybe this could be fixed as well?"

and that about sums up my problems "theres a lot right?" haha

system specs

Windows 7 Home Premium (x64)
3.30 gigahertz Intel Core i3-2120
Hitachi HDS721010DLE630 [Hard drive] (1000.20 GB)
Kingston HyperX Ram 4080 Megabytes 2x2
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660

That error is usually due to hardware issues such as RAM or hard drives. Have you overclocked anything in your system? Do you have the old video card? If so, reinstall and tell us if the system crashes continue. Did you update your video card drivers?

Also, run a hard drive diagnostics on that Hitachi drive.

My graphics card has a factory set overclock which I tone down normally while playing games and I don't crash, but lately it doesn't matter what I do nothing else is overclocked. But I do have a old Radeon 6770 I could put in to substitute the Gpu. Are there any diagnostic programs you would recommend?

Diagnostic programs for video cards is iffy. Switching out your card is definitely a diagnostic step.

Question: Did you remove your old video drivers before installing your newest card?

Question: What are your system temperatures and is your fan running consistently on your video card? Heat can shut down hardware fast.

* I am suspecting that your card may be bad.

Yes I fully removed my old Amd drivers from my computer before installing my new gtx 660

I have quite a few fans in my system and my Gtx 660 from gigabyte has a two fan system *Windforce* and those fans run constantly the temperatures never go over 50*c

I was always under the impression that my card was a little faulty but it never got this serious so I just dealt with it but now its so bad its making me take aciton

I just finished testing most of my games with my AMD 6770 HD. It passed with flying colors no crashes nothing, there was frame issues but thats just the card being crap.

Then either you need to update the drivers for your GTX 660 to see if that is the issue or you have a bad card. Please keep us updated.

Ok I'll try reinstalling everything for the driver half, and If I still get crashes im just going to buy a hole new computer anyway. Ive been saving for a long time cause I wanted an upgrade. Its just in the mean time I still wanted this system to work while I got all the parts for my new computer. Thanks for all your help! (=

Yeah still getting the BSOD, I say this card is just defective id go threw and RMA with Gigabyte but I think it will just be a huge hassle. I'll just leave it how it is and get my new system here in a week or two unless theres anything else you recommend me doing ill just call it quits.

You could see if it gets the same results in another system ( friend's system so to say) with that Gigabyte card. How old is it? I would see just how much of a hassle the RMA with this company is. Who knows, you just might get a new card with little pain.

Back