BSOD STOP: 0x0000007F

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everyone, I'm a bit of a newbie here, but I've looked everywhere and the community here looks really friendly :)

Anyway, I've been having this problem for ages now, I would randomly get the BSOD with the following:

***STOP: 0x0000007F (0x0000000D, 0x00000000, 0x0000000, 0x00000000)

Recently though, I installed the newest version of Norton, and now it happens exactly every 20 minutes, on the dot.

I ran all the Dell diagnostic tests, and all of those were passed, and I also ran the Windiag program that Microsoft supplies, and it successfully completed 4 passes of the extensive testing.

I've even removed my RAM and replaced it just to make sure there were no obvious problems, but the issue is still happening.

Here's my specs if this can be of any help:

Inspiron 1501
Service Tag 6LD5P1S
Express Service Code 14352584464
Processor AMD Turion(tm) 64 X2 Mobile Technology TL-50
Processor Speed 1.56 GHz
Memory (RAM) 1024 MB
Operating System Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition (Service Pack 3)
Operating System Version 5.1.2600

Also, this happens both with AC power plugged in and running from the battery.

Thanks in advance for any help :)

EDIT: I've added in five mini-dumps, I wasn't sure whether it was the largest number or the smallest number that was the newest - sorry. Whichever of those is newest is the problem at hand :)

For some reason all of your Zip files cannot be open. They are designated as "invalid." At first I thought it was my Zip Genius 6 having issues but it can open other Zip files with no problem.

So...

0x0000007F: UNEXPECTED_KERNEL_MODE_TRAP

One of three types of problems occurred in kernel-mode: (1) Hardware failures. (2) Software problems. (3) A bound trap (i.e., a condition that the kernel is not allowed to have or intercept). Hardware failures are the most common cause and, of these, memory hardware failures are the most common.

1. Attach those minidumps without Zipping them. (By the way, you can have 5 minidumps per Zip file)

2. Uninstall Norton completely (go to their website and use their removal tool because Norton is notorious for leaving remnants behind and causing all kinds of headaches).

3. Seriously consider an alternative to Norton.

4. Run a full harddrive diagnostics.

The last 3 you posted are the newest all MiniDumps indicate 0x7F errors as you said. This error indicates either a Hardware or Software Problem, all MiniDumps cite this "ati2mtag.sys" which is the ATI Driver for your Graphics card try updating the Drivers for the Graphics Card to the latest version, if this doesn't sort the problem try taking the Graphics Card out and then running the Computer if it stabilises then it will be the Graphics card that is faulty and needs replacing under warranty or a new 1 being bought.

EDIT: Just noticed Route44 posted just before me try removing Norton First as Route44 suggested then Update the Graphics Card Drivers.

Thanks for the help so far everyone! As I posted this last night I was working on updating all drivers, I updated some network-based stuff and the problem seems to have stopped, and I've also updated all the ATI stuff :)

I'll re-upload the minidumps just in case, and I was wondering what you would suggest for full hard-drive diagnostics? Not memtest obviously, but my Dell Diagnostics suite went through all the different sectors and came up positive.

Anyways, thanks for all the help, its a real relief to have everything working again :)

Well you used Dell's test so i'd assume that is ok since it is your Computers Manufacturer, the only HDD Diagnostic i would suggest is your HDD Manufacturers test normally on there support section of their website in this case your HDD manufacturer seems to be Western Digital from your System Spec.

Also all MiniDumps are identical with the code below, they are citing the ATI Driver.
BugCheck 1000007F, {d, 0, 0, 0}
Probably caused by : ati2mtag.sys ( ati2mtag+102550 )

Alright, thanks a lot, I've updated the ATI stuff completely recently, so things should be good from here on in :)

Thanks a lot for all the help everyone! :D

0x0000000D — An exception not covered by some other exception; a protection fault that pertains to access violations for applications

'Access Violation' occurs when an application tries to access storage that is not designated for their use - and crashes.

Thus, complete removal of the suspect driver(s), reboot and reinstall is a good option.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back