BSOD: STOP: 0x000000D1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nutter101

Hey everyone,

A friend of mine had some virus issues, so I offered to get some anti-virus software on her computer to fix it up.

However, if I try to start the computer normally, I get a flashed BSOD. I had to turn off automatic reset to see it.

Got DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL with the error codes:
STOP: 0x000000D1 (0xE1AEA000, 0x00000002, 0x0000000, 0xEE7750A5)

Computer is a HP Pavillion zv6000 laptop running XP SP2 (Build 2600.xpsp_sp2_gdr.090206-1233)

Any ideas how to fix this? Would really like to get it fixed for her...

The 0xD1 error are usually caused by drivers. Since she had viruses I strongly suggest going to our Virus and Malware removal forum, read the UPDATED 8 Step sticky, and follow the steps -- don't skip any. And then on that Board post with the three required logs attached.

Yeah, I read that the 0xD1 errors are driver based. Unfortunately, it seems that when trying to install some of the programs used in the 8 step sticky, nothing happens. If I post the minidumps, is there any chance I can just find out what the driver problems are? I've used various malware + virus scanners to check, and it seems clean.

If I can just get past the BSOD and run Windows normally, I feel this would be much easier to do.

Yes, go ahead and attach the five latest. Please don't zip each one individually. You can zip up to 5 in 1 Zip file.

Hey, sorry, was called on a surprise holiday!

Here are the minidumps.

Hope you get some useful info from them.

Thanks.

Four are 0xD1 errors and not one specific driver was cited other than a Vista driver and they are normally too general to be of much help.

The fifth error is 0x00000024: NTFS_FILE_SYSTEM and is defined by auhma.org as a problem occurred within NTFS.SYS, the driver file that allows the system to read and write to NTFS file system drives. There may be a physical problem with the disk, or an Interrupt Request Packet (IRP) may be corrupted. Other common causes include heavy hard drive fragmentation, heavy file I/O, problems with some types of drive-mirroring software, or some antivirus software. I suggest running ChkDsk or ScanDisk as a first step; then disable all file system filters such as virus scanners, firewall software, or backup utilities. Check the file properties of NTFS.SYS to ensure it matches the current OS or SP version. Update all disk, tape backup, CD-ROM, or removable device drivers to the most current versions.

I would suggest going to your harddrive manufacturer's website and run their free harddrive diagnostics. It also concerns me that you could not install some of the programs in the 8 Step sticky which has me suspicious of a possible inspection.

* FYI I am heading out and away for the next five days and I am not sure if I will be logging in here. Just a heads up but I am sure someone else can help if need be.

Hmmm. This is the problem I'm having when trying to work on this laptop. If I try to boot it into normal Windows mode, it gives me the 0xD1 error, and resets constantly.

However, if I run it in safe mode, it will run fine up until I try any program that accesses/scans the hardrive, like a virus scanner, or even if I use explorer to access folders in the system, it gives me the 0x24 error. Checkdisk on startup refuses to work, saying the format is RAW and is unable to scan. However, I can run it from "run" with no problems, and it says the harddrive is fine.

There's a possiblity that an SP installation went awry I suppose. Also, this computer is running XP, not Vista, so I assume the driver you meant was an XP one.
How would I go about checking the file properties of NTFS.SYS?

Thanks.

Re-reading one of your earlier posts I am concerned there is still infection especially since some of the 8 Step items won't install/run. Some infections will try to prevent anti-viruese, etc. from loading.

I could try HiJackThis!, but I'm now concerned that any program that attempts to scan the computer will bring up this NTFS.sys error that keeps occuring. I posted in the Virus & Malware forum but had no reply, so I gave up there and came back here to see if I could get a way of fixing the driver problem.

The thing with the Virus & Malware forum is that they need to see the three required logs attached. You may need to go back and do another post with the Subject title something like: Since Infection I haven't Been Able to Complete the 8 Steps. In the body tell them of your attempts and a brief history of minidump reads, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back