BSOD upon normal startup

logic951

My computer will run for like 3 days, then out of no where this blue screen pops up, I got a couple pictures of the error stop codes, and a picture of something that happened when the screen came up, and it flashed to this. It runs fine on safe mode, but normal startup it will go to the accounts screen, then go to the bsod

please help me fix my damn gateway computer

thanks in advance to those who help, next I will post some pictures

http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t243/logic_951/2010-07-27193101.jpg

http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t243/logic_951/2010-07-27185048.jpg

http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t243/logic_951/2010-07-27185107.jpg

here are the 3 latest minidumps. I had a total of 11 occur on 7/27/2010 all with the same stop error codes. Once again, sorry for the inconvenience of me posting nonsense in my post.

I would also like to be able to view the info that are on these mini dumps, but am not sure how to read them or what I would use to read them.

Attachments

• Mini072710-09.dmp
    88 KB · Views: 2
  • Mini072710-10.dmp
    88 KB · Views: 1
  • Mini072710-11.dmp
All these dumps have 0xD1 error, which usually means there is a bad driver behavior or rarely some hardware issue with your PC, however, unfortunately all of your minidumps doesn't contain enough data to have some tangible information about what driver may be causing it.

First of all, please change minidump size by doing this:

1. Right Click on My Computer, and go to Properties
2. Go to Advanced
3. Under Startup and Recover, click on Settings
4. Under Write Debugging Options select Kernel Memory Dump, and uncheck 'overwrite any existing file'. Click on OK Twice.

In addition to that I want you to run Driver Verifier, it should help isolate the driver which may be causing this issue.

Before proceeding on the following steps please ensure that you can boot your system in safe mode.

1) Windows Key + R (or go to Start, then click on Run..)
2) Type in 'verifier' and hit enter
3) Make sure 'Create Standard Setting' is selected and hit next
4) Click on 'Select all drivers installed on this computer' and hit Finish
5) Reboot

There is a possibility that your computer will crash on reboot. If this occurs hit F8 when rebooting just before the windows logo screen and select the safe mode boot option. Follow the same steps above but on step 4 choose 'Select driver names from a list'; hit next; check the box next to any driver where the provider is not Microsoft; hit Finish; reboot.

This will slow the performance of you computer a little while enabled but will hopefully catch the driver causing corruption. Next time you crash the blue screen will hopefully say something like "DRIVER_VERIFIER_DETECTED_VIOLATION". When this occurs please post your new minidump.

Please note that Driver Verifier will continue to run on every boot up until you run (by going to Start, then to Run):

verifier /reset

Thanks for the reply archean.

unfortunately I followed your steps, and received the same error message. Although the first set of steps in running the verifier ended up in my computer rebooting itself and skipping the stop message. The second run of the verifier using selected drivers led me to the same error message as before. I talked to a friend of mine who is an IT, and he seems to believe the video card is going bad, which I have been led to believe so as well, as from what I have seen. And what I saw was my computer flash to the blue screen, and flash again into another screen with brown and red vertical lines. Any other possible ideas?

and thanks for approving
the photos I posted, sorry that I kept adding them, I didnt realize until the third try that they needed an admins approval

here are the latest minidumps for today, I was going through my minidump list, and I have mini dumps going all the way back to march, if you would like me to post them all I would be glad to, maybe this is something that occured way back, and I just overlooked it at the time thinking it was something that just happened, and wouldnt happen again.

Attachments

• Mini072810-01.dmp
    64 KB · Views: 1
  • Mini072810-02.dmp
flash again into another screen with brown and red vertical lines.

It seems to be a graphic card issue to me. While going through your minidumps I was unable to completely do a stack trace due to 'memory errors' at few addresses. Perhaps either your graphic card's memory may have issues, or the graphic is plainly bad. Please download OCCT and run it to stress your graphic card to maximum and see what happens.

archean, i loaded up the program, two messages popped up before i began the test, it is still currently running right now, the first message said something that the program couldnt run the gpu, and the next message said my directX 9.0 was not up to date. ill post info after the test completes

as well, the graphic card is also intergrated, not sure how that affects the reliability of the card, and how long it will last, the computer is a gt5242e gateway.

the test is done, and it came up showing no errors. Im assuming the GPU is the graphics card?? and if it was unable to scan that, it didnt work properly.

Sorry it wouldn't work on integrated graphics, I somehow wrongly assumed that you had an graphic card.

Can you please uninstall currently installed nvidia drivers, remove any trace of these drivers with Driver Sweeper or Driver Cleaner Pro (both have free versions available on net). Then download and install latest drivers supporting your integrated graphic card.

its ok, can you please provide me a link to download either driver sweeper or driver cleaner pro. as i was able to find the latest driver.

the download didnt start automatically and the link is broken dude.

i googled it, and found the same download, which drivers should i delete? all the graphics drivers?

the nvidia choices it gave me were
1. nvidia chipset
2. nvidia display
3. nvidia Physx

im assuming i just want to clean out the display cause it seems to be the issues right?

i uninstalled all the nvidia (display) drivers and reinstalled the newest version, and still got the same error code. so im guessing the card is done?

Re-run Driver Verifier, and let it run until you get 5-6 fresh minidumps, lets hope something useful will turn up in them.

Here are the latest mini dumps after running verifier dude. I have one more, so I gotta post it

Attachments

• Mini080210-01.dmp
  • Mini080210-02.dmp
  • Mini080210-03.dmp
  • Mini080210-04.dmp
  • Mini080210-05.dmp
All the errors are 0xD1, however, stack back trace also turned in another suspect along with your (probably) failing graphic chip, i.e. NDIS.sys (Network stack related Driver). It is a collection of routines that applications can invoke to perform network-related operations.

First the graphic part, I strongly recommend you to consider buying a cheaper graphic card as your system do have PCI-E expansion slot, I am recommending cheaper solution because I am unsure OEM PSU provided by gateway with this machine can handle any thing with higher power requirements (unless you are willing to invest in that).

Secondly, this NDIS.sys issue can also be caused by malware/trojan/virus infection or a previous such infection, which can cause damage to settings in registry. You can check your OS ndis related settings using regedit.exe (you need administrative account to do so); just compare your existing settings with the ones given here:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\NDIS]
"DisplayName"="NDIS System Driver"
"ErrorControl"=dword:00000001
"Group"="NDIS Wrapper"
"Start"=dword:00000000
"Type"=dword:00000001

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\NDIS\MediaTypes]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\NDIS\Parameters]
"ProcessorAffinityMask"=dword:ffffffff

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\NDIS\Enum]
"0"="Root\\LEGACY_NDIS\\0000"
"Count"=dword:00000001
"NextInstance"=dword:00000001

Note: 1. Before deciding to purchase a graphic card, do run memtest on this system (set minimum configuration of RAM for your onboard solution allowed in the system's BIOS) for minimum of 8 passes.
2. You just need to search for the key with regedit's find option.

Please let us know about your results. Regards

once again thanks, I will check the registry tomorrow. My friend that is an IT mentioned that i should use hijack this to scan for any malware/trojan files. So i will do that tomorrow. As well, he mentioned and said this video card would suffice to my computer, ( http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130098 ) please give me a second opinion before i purchase. I will also run memtest. Please provide steps or location which tells me how to run memtest.

And what do you mean "Seach for the key with regedits find option" what key would i be looking for?

also please provide me with a proper Anti Virus, Internet Security, and Anti Spyware.

1. Memtest (sorry I thought I've added the link in the above post, but it wasn't). After installation you need to run it for minimum of 8 passes as i recommended earlier.

2. You can simply copy paste the key you want to search for, e.g. [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\NDIS\Parameters], and press enter.

3. That card you have provided link for is unavailable, this Asus Geforce 8400GS looks ok to me, I don't think you are an avid gamer or such so it should serve you alright.

4. Avast for antivirus, Online Armor for internet security, Malwarebytes for spyware etc. All of these tools are free :)

thanks for the info provided, Once i start doing the regedit, what am i going to be looking for? for certain keys to be there, and not to be there?

And lol, Im really more of the FPS gamer / racing, but since my computer lacks the ram, and videocard necessary i have a hard time running games like call of duty modern warfare, the only game i really played on my computer was Counter Strike.

for that NDIS error, could that cause my internet to shutoff randomly throughout times and points of the day? to name a few problems, I used to get a trojan that would act as a "antivirus" when one would pop up, i would restore back a month or so... Also, about 3-4 months ago, my computer stopped allowing me to set it on standby. And then, the issues with the internet, it occured when i was connecting with my normal modem, but then i purchased a wireless router because i had purchased a ps3 and a itouch. and used my router to connect wirelessly. And once i installed it, the issue became more frequent.

Well I suggest to take on the major issues first, before focusing on other things, so lets just do the two thing I already have suggested, i.e. graphic replacement and NDIS issue.

Once you search for a specific registry key as I explained above, you need to find the values I provided you in the above post and compare them, if there is a difference set them according to values provided above (post # 22). Once, you have done that, exit registry editor.

Also, I suggest that you create a restore point before you start making changes to registry and back up whatever data you may have in 'My Documents' or on C: drive to some other partition.

Here is what I came up with when I was looking at the registry bro....

Attachments

• regedit 2.txt
    753 bytes · Views: 1
That seems to be in order. However, just to be absolutely sure that your system is clean, I'd suggest you to follow these 8-steps, and post your logs for analysis on Malware and Virus Removal forums (kindly be patient as they are heavily burdened and may take some time to respond).

well, I ran malwarebytes and it picked up on 6 items. One trojan, 4 adwares, and 1 hijack start page. All were deleted successfully. And continued with the rest of the cleanup. After i was finished with all the steps, i restarted my computer and same situation as before. But as you asked, i shall post my logs in the appropriate area.

https://www.techspot.com/vb/topic151038.html#post915008

thats the info i posted of all the logs.

Back