BSOD Win7 error 0x7e but other randoms too

Hi guys,

Im getting BSOD's at very weird times. On boot, shut down. I cant even boot into Window 7 DVD without getting a BSOD of death now.

I cant figure out the minidump hope someone can please shed some light so I can figure out whats going on.

Thanks guys.

Attachments

• 021111-15802-01.7z
    20.5 KB · Views: 1
I don't like to jump to conclusions from just one memory dump but this one does imply your memory is faulty. If your PC has more than one memory stick remove all the other/s and then run the PC on just one of your sticks at a time and see if you get further crashes, if/when a crash occurs swap to another stick and run again (also, send in the dump file).

If you only have one memory stick then follow this guide.

http://www.memtest.org/

You need to scroll down the page until you see the three blue screenshots. Just below is the list of downloads for Memtest86+ V4.10. Click on Download - Pre-Compiled Bootable ISO (.zip)and save to your desktop, When the download is complete right click the file and select Extract Here and burn the image to a CD. In windows 7 right click the extracted file, select Open With, then select Windows Disc Image Burning Tool then follow the prompts. For all other versions of windows (if you do not have an ISO burner) download this free software. http://www.isoimageburner.com/

Boot the PC into the Bios setup and set the CD/DVD drive to 1st in the boot sequence. Insert the disk in the drive then reboot and the disc will load into dos. Leave the test to run through at least 5 cycles.

The memtest will not be 100% accurate but should easily detect any major faults.

If this process does not reveal the problem then follow this to check for any problem drivers.

Driver Verifier

Click start, type verifier into the search box and it will appear in the box above, click on it and the Verifier will open.

Select "Create Standard Settings" click next.

Select "Automatically select all drivers installed on this computer"

You will then get a list of all the drivers, click finish and restart the computer.

You will probably get a BSOD straight away and it will identify a driver.

If you are absolutely certain that the driver is OK you can go back into the Verifier and remove this driver from the list.

To turn off the Verifier, go back to the first screen and click "Delete Existing Settings" click finish.

I did a ubuntu install and that runs fine. Formatted the hard drive, tried to load up Win7 to install BSOD straight away.

Tested hard drive with sea tools. Runs fine.

Have you carried out the tests I suggested on your memory?

Please provide the error codes from the BSOD when you tried the win 7 install.

Yes I did a Memtest. No errors.

Also removed all the componets from the case and tested it outside of the case.. Still BSOD.

The last error I got was 0x7E wdf01000.sys

I have no OS on the hard drive.

Asus M4N68T-M
AMD Athlon II Dual Core 255
2gb Corsair 1333 DDR3
500gb Seagate Sata

It is strange that it would happen only while installing windows; please ensure that your windows installation dvd is error free.

Is your RAM is listed in QVL of your motherboard ? You can find QVL for your board on Asus site.

In addition TS boards are littered with RAM issues on Asus boards. So I'd suggest you to closely check RAM settings in BIOS; as they should match with the ones came on RAM's packaging. You may even have to tweak things a bit in a customized way to see at which point system becomes stable.

This is a description of the error code.

A system thread generated an exception which the error handler did not catch. There are numerous individual causes for this problem, including hardware incompatibility, a faulty device driver or system service, or some software issues.

With no OS installed at the time of the error this suggests hardware (which would include Bios settings) to be the most likely cause, it's not likely to be anything else when there is no OS installed.

This would completely agree with what Archean has suggested.

How many RAM sticks do you have, if two or more try the install process with just one installed as I suggested earlier. You said you ran memtest but you didn't say if you had tried to run with just one stick in. Again I am having to guess what you have and have not done. Please be more informative.

It may be worth trying a Bios reset. Simply remove the battery on the motherboard for about ten minutes and then reinsert it. Then try the win 7 install again.

I have checked the QVL and the components you have listed, CPU and memory, are correct.

I can only hope that the problem is due to a faulty RAM stick and that it is not a fault on the mobo. I'll be keeping my fingers crossed for you.

Please let me know if the new RAM is successful.

Back