BSOD with Microsoft says "hardware device" problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

science2002

Thank you for your great support site.
I run on WinXP SP2 (but I tried also to upgrade to SP3 to no avail) and once in a while I face the BSOD with the message (after reboot) that it was due to hardware device problems.

I include the last minidumps, in case there are some gurus that kindly want to have a look at them, to pin down the problem.
So far I tried:
a) Cleaned the not necessary drivers and updated the ones I use (in particular the video and audio ones), and run antivirus and antispyware.
b) Changed the built-in Sound card (I disactivated it via BIOS) and used instead a PCI one.
c) Degframented the HD and cleaned and fixed the registry
d) Checked the RAM with the dos test MemoryTest 86 (no errors detected)
e) Changed the USB port connection for my external HD,

What I noticed is that when I run intensive CPU/RAM software, with probability one (if I use some programs) the BSOD occures. The last minidump included for instance was made while running Lura PDF compressor to shrink the size of a 45Mb pdf. With this program the BSOD is assured! The same program in the notebook does not cause any issue.
But the BSOD occures also rundomly without any particular use of intensive CPU/RAM consumption.
Could it be due to power problems, or whatever?
I am completely in the dark.
TIA for any help.

Specs**********
WinXP SP2 ITA
AMD Athlon XP, 1800 MHz (13.5 x 133) 2200+
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-7VA
RAM PC2100 768Mb

How many Passes did you run Memtest? Does your BIOS have your memory voltage set at the manufacturer's specs?

(1) How many Passes did you run Memtest? (2) Does your BIOS have your memory voltage set at the manufacturer's specs?

thanks for your inquiry:
(1) 7-8 Passes with both wafers of Ram (512+256), then 2 passes for each wafer, without the other
(2) No voltage setting that I can see. Just an option to performance vs stability. I tried both options with no apparent effect on the above syntoms.

Thanks again Route44:
Yes I had installed Daemon Tools (DT) v3.47 (not the latest, which may contain spyware I was told).
Yesterday I tried also to deactive this driver, that was mounting at startup, but the BSOD with Lura compressor still persists
The same version of DT is installed in the notebook Lenovo, running WinXP SP2, with no issues.

Le me also be precise on BIOS: It shows actually a menu called Frequency/Voltage Control, that I overlooked before. Inside there are options to change CPU Host Clock/Dram Clock and CPU (Auto, +5,+10v)/AGP/DIMM (Auto, +.01,+0.2,+0.3v) Voltage. Besides this menu, as I said in my previous post, there is another menu called Top Performance with just Enable/Disable.
Do you think that I can try to give a bit more voltage to DIMM (i.e. RAM)? Thanks again
[[Update: I tried to put a +0.2v on AGP and DIMM and I choose Top performance in the other BIOS menu. I was skared to give +5v to CPU - but I tried also that. As a result the Lura PDF compressor, does not trigger now a BSOD, though with some settings the application crashes or it freezes the PC above all when other applications are running.]]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back