BSOD woes on Inspiron 6400 laptop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all

I just joined this techspot.com forum today cause am having problems with my Inspiron 6400 laptop. I recently did a fresh install of my HD with the XP and driver CDs that were supplied with my system. (Id do a Dell system restore, but lost my restore partition after trying Vista in early 2007. Now am back with XP)

Ive been having nothing but BSODs since redoing the HD recently, mostly when I use my internal bluetooth card to access my Tmobile Dash phone for internet via bluetooth network access and also to listen to music via my Plantronics Pulsar 590a headphones.

Ive done a complete system diagnostic test with the dell diagnostics on this laptop (F12 at reboot then choosing the diagnostic program from the menu), but no hardware failures came up.

Ive googled and wrote in another forum trying to find an answer to my BSODs, but am frustrated trying to figure this problem out.

I'm including a .zip file containing my minidump files as well as a detailed .txt file of my system specs that was made with Everest Home Edition ver. 2.20.405, but basically its a Dell Inspiron 6400, 120GB HD, 1GB RAM, ATI Radeon X1400 graphics, Dell 355 internal bluetooth card and Draft N wifi card

Any help anyone can give is greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance

Tom

If it helps diagnosing anything I am running Kaspersky Internet Security 2009, was told in the other forum that is the cause of one of the blue screens

You have five different error codes.

0xD1 and these are almost always caused by faulty drivers or buggy software. The driver cited is kl1.sys and this belongs to Kaspersky.

0x50: PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA
Requested data was not in memory. An invalid system memory address was referenced. Defective memory (including main memory, L2 RAM cache, video RAM) or incompatible software (including remote control and antivirus software) might cause this Stop message, as may other hardware problems (e.g., incorrect SCSI termination or a flawed PCI card). But it only cited a Windows OS driver and they are too general to be of much help.

0x19: BAD_POOL_HEADER
A pool header issue is a problem with Windows memory allocation. Device driver issues are probably the msot common, but this can have diverse causes including bad sectors or other disk write issues, and problems with some routers. Again, another Windows OS driver.

0x1A: MEMORY_MANAGEMENT
This memory management error is usually hardware related. See the General Troubleshooting of STOP Messages checklist above. If this occurs while installing Windows, also check the Windows system requirements including the amount of RAM and disk space required to load the operating system. This one specifically cited corrupted memory. Run memtest on your RAM.

0x7E: SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED
A system thread generated an exception which the error handler did not catch. There are numerous individual causes for this problem, including hardware incompatibility, a faulty device driver or system service, or some software issues. Check Event Viewer (EventVwr.msc) for additional information especially yellow triangles and Red xs.

This one cited another Kaspersky driver klif.sys.

* Try uninstalling Kaspersky and see if you gain stability.

You have five different error codes.

0xD1 and these are almost always caused by faulty drivers or buggy software. The driver cited is kl1.sys and this belongs to Kaspersky.

0x50: PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA
Requested data was not in memory. An invalid system memory address was referenced. Defective memory (including main memory, L2 RAM cache, video RAM) or incompatible software (including remote control and antivirus software) might cause this Stop message, as may other hardware problems (e.g., incorrect SCSI termination or a flawed PCI card). But it only cited a Windows OS driver and they are too general to be of much help.

0x19: BAD_POOL_HEADER
A pool header issue is a problem with Windows memory allocation. Device driver issues are probably the msot common, but this can have diverse causes including bad sectors or other disk write issues, and problems with some routers. Again, another Windows OS driver.

0x1A: MEMORY_MANAGEMENT
This memory management error is usually hardware related. See the General Troubleshooting of STOP Messages checklist above. If this occurs while installing Windows, also check the Windows system requirements including the amount of RAM and disk space required to load the operating system. This one specifically cited corrupted memory. Run memtest on your RAM.

0x7E: SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED
A system thread generated an exception which the error handler did not catch. There are numerous individual causes for this problem, including hardware incompatibility, a faulty device driver or system service, or some software issues. Check Event Viewer (EventVwr.msc) for additional information especially yellow triangles and Red xs.

This one cited another Kaspersky driver klif.sys.

* Try uninstalling Kaspersky and see if you gain stability.

Thank you Route44 for looking into this for me...Its very much appreciated. I just have one question to ask. Since Kaspersky is the cause for a couple of these blue screens, is there another good anti virus program that you (or anyone reading this) can recommend? I heard that Norton isn't that good, so Id like to avoid them at all costs

Yes, stay away from Norton. Seriously, we here have helped a lot of people here with Norton. The issue is the system resources.

Kaspersky is actually one the best out there, especially their antivirus for detection rates; not sure about their suits. I personally prefer the layered method. Before abandoning it I would go to their website and do a search for the issues related to their 2009 Internet Security Suite. it might take an uninstall/reinstall to work correctly.

Also, try running your system with it uninstalled (of course not online!). Are you getting any more BSODs?

I would also consider another gig of RAM. 2 gigs is good for XP systems and security software does require system resources.

I have one more question that I just thought of. Is it a possibility that one of my blue screens could be caused by me using the bluetooth card for network access to the cell phone (internet access) and also using my bluetooth headphones to listen to music all at the same time, like running 2 BT services at the same time?

Just a thought I had....Ive always thought you could only use your BT card for only one thing at a time

I could not guess an answer at this time. Nothing in the minidumps indicates your Bluetooth, but that isn't to say it couldn't.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back