Build your own pc disaster

Status
Not open for further replies.
Decided to build my own pc (bad idea). Damn thing won't boot up. It's a micro-star 6553 mobo from a compaq pc which according to microstar doesn't exist. my athlon 2000 proc is in it using 512m pc2100 ddr and onboard sound and graphics. When i turn it on the fans run for about 10 seconds, then it turns off, turns on again ad nauseum. There is no display on my monitor (which works) Any ideas? Could it be a problem with the onbard graphics?

Well, it seems fairly vague, but I would think the Motherboard you've selected that you can't find any specs on probably does not support that CPU.

From experience in PC building I would take into account what features you're looking for in your home made PC, and select a Motherboard accordingly. If you want pc2100 RAM, make sure the motherboard supports 184-pin DDR at the perticular FSB speed you need to support. In this case it sounds like 266 MHZ FSB from the RAM you've selected.

The good news is that the CPU and RAM you have are compatible.

Take what you got and buy a "real" motherboard. Compaq's are notrious for being pieces of... well you get the idea. Just be sure to get an nforce2 Chipset or a Via kt266a chipset and you'll be basking in CRT radiation sooner than you wil with the current one. I recommend researching Motherboards for features, but if you're worried about price, I've had good luck with ECS motherboards, and they both perform like they should and run for about 60 bucks, maybe less on www.pricewatch.com

As for the monitor display problem, check the BIOS to make sure the On board video is disabled, although I think it won't make a difference because the Compaq may not support the other hardware.

Welcome to the boards! :wave:

The thing is, the motherboard previously had an athlon1700 in it so i don't see why it shouldn't be compatable. Also - how can i check the bios settings if i can't get a display?

Originally posted by sean_0
The thing is, the motherboard previously had an athlon1700 in it so i don't see why it shouldn't be compatable. Also - how can i check the bios settings if i can't get a display?

Touche...

Fair enough, heh, I missed that info entirley. If it has onboard Video, then use that to boot up into the BIOS.

Was the PC2100 RAM also in that motherboard? or was there something different originally?

Yes the ram was also in it. The main problem is that it doesn't stay on long enough for anything to happen, and i think that if somebody can figure out why it keeps going on and off every ten seconds or so that might give the answer to my problem. I think this might be some kind of saftety thing. I have reservations about the cooler i'm using, could that be responsible for the unit turning on and off? Is there any way i can enable the onboard graphics so that i can see the bios without actually having to go into the bios (because i can't - there's no display), there are jumpers on the mobo which i've messed about with but nonoe of them are explicitly labelled "onboard graphics" or anything like that.

Hmmm, If you're using the same HSF (heatsink fan) that was used on the 1700 you MAY having an overheating issue, but that doesn't explain the lack of video.

You're saying you see nothing? No check signal or POST on initial bootup?

Do you hear a single BIOS beep after starting up? That initial beep is the BIOS telling you it found the Processor.

Also, is the videocard you put in AGP or PCI?

In addition, be careful with jumper settings like that. On a majority of boards those settings can force select things like FSB and CPU voltage amongst other things. Look for one near the CMOS Battery with 3 pins, set it to 2-3 instead of 1-2 inorder to clear the BIOS back to the defualt settings. That may enable your On board graphics again.

I'll see if I can find a manual or something for reference on this motherboard.

I searched in the most logical places for the 6553 and found nothing, like you said. Do you know what chipset the Mainboard features?

I'm sorry, but if a board supports 1700+, it does not mean it supports a 2000+.

This is true with almost every board you buy, but this is not always true with proprietary boards.

I think that if rick is right he might have hit the nail on the head. It seems to me that the board just doesn't like the processor. Still though, i think i'll try another cooler first before i try a new mobo.

The mobo has an nforce2 Chipset. I haven't been able to get my hands on a pci graphics card yet but i've tried an agp one.

Thanks for your help guys, keep it coming!

A little late to the party. Hope you have found a solution. If not, I can tell you that the ms-6553 was used in Compaq Presario systems, model 6000z, and 8000z specifically. You can find drivers and support from Compaq/HP.

Geo

I currently own a compaq with the microstar 6553 mobo, it came with a athon 2100 processor and runs with 2100 ddr ram. so your 2100 should work ok

OK, this thread has become a bit of a mess and I tried to read through it but couldn't make much of it.

If these have been addressed I'm sorry, but I couldn't find it in all the junk.

1. You say the mobo came from a Compaq. This means it is most likely proprietary (which is why Microstar doesn't list it)
2. Are you using the Compaq PSU(or a Compaq replacement PSU)? If not, this will explain the problem, as Compaqs use proprietary PSUs that will only work on a Compaq mobo, and a Compaq mobo will only work with a Compaq PSU.

I don't mean to be insulting by offering any of the following info, but having built a few PC's myself now, I thought I'd list some of the stuff that I've done in the past that has caused similar effects;

1. IDE lead connected to hard disk the wrong way round
2. Power cables (things like the hard disk LED and stuff) on the wrong way round - they NEVER tell you which wire is which!
3. Video card / PCI card / memory not fully engaged in slot (always a good one - even if you don't hear an extra "click" it can be worth giving your memory sticks a good shove :))

I've done other dumb stuff too, and more than once, so if you DO find the above stuff insulting, console yourself with the fact that you're smarter than me :)

I also have 3 of these brand new boards. (surplus) I have done as much research on them as is available. (very little) I have learned from this also, UNLESS you have the whole computer it came in, don't ask Compaq/HP/MSI for any help. The boards do not exist & they'll bounce you back & forth.
They HAVE to have a Compaq PS. I've tried 2 different ones, which were fairly expensive & now I'm afraid to use them on anything else, cause they're propietary. I have an extensive list of which ones. If anybody needs it, PM or EM me. I don't come here often (even though it's a nice place) so probaly want see a forum post.
My story is about the same. CPU fans run (appears like all the time until you turn off, or unplug, the PS, processor gets warm, & that's it. No video (almost positive board isn't even trying to start)
I've tried several procs, from a Duron 133 to an XP1700. Nothing. The boards ARE compatible with these, it just won't come on. Have also tried 2 monitors with same result. Before I FINALLY found a diagram of the header pins, I tried every combination possible. The only ones that did ANYTHING was the two bottom left ones. (NOT RIGHT ONES-DON'T DO!) Some kind of LED pins or something. They would kill the whole board (CPU fans). Luckily I didn't damage the board.
To keep this from getting too long, I'll wrap this up.
1. You HAVE to use the "Pentium" 4-wire plug, even though its not a Pentium board. (fans don't work if you don't)
2. The correct PS has a "special" 2-pin plug for the pin header beside the ATX 20-pin.
3. This IS NOT a good thing to do at all, but I read in a forum (maybe this one) that a person was able to get one of these boards to boot by leaving the CMOS battery out. When it was in, it was unbootable, like ours. Guess I'll try that next. Can't hurt. If it blows I've got two more useless ones to experiment on.
4. Lastly, these seem like they would be decent boards, with integrated EVERYTHING, if we could just figure out how to use them. Any hints, news, or knowledge is VERY welcome & VERY MUCH appreciated.
:p I already know they seem like pitiful MOBO's.:p

I just picked up one of these boards and found this thread doing research on it. What I've found is that the board is also used in Hewlett Packard's Evo D315M with specs as follows:

Motherboard Microstar MS6553
Chipset Nvidia NForce1
BIOS System ROM 68644 v. 3.01
CPU 1x Athlon(tm) XP 2000+
RAM 1x 128 MB RAM
Graphics (onboard) Compaq GeForce2 Integrated GPU
Ethernet NIC Accton Technology Corporation SMC2-1211TX
HDDs 1x ST320011A 20 GB
Floppy 1x 1.44 MB
CD-ROM 1x HL-DT-ST
PowerSupply 1x Compaq PDP-121P

Hope that helps anyone else researching this.

I work on older computer and the only thing I done wrong was

Install the IDE/floppy backward, cause drive wasn't seen
Install the small memory before the large on, only effected the older pentium and older boards and cause only the small memory was seen.
Didn't install the memory right, cause the memory not to be seen.
Didn't plug in card right, cause memory problem on a 80486 I working on.
I try an pentium 200 with MMX in a Asus mobo and set it at 2.5X, 3X at 66 Mhz and it will return 166 Mhz. It return 166 Mhz when I had it set to 60 Mhz at 3X.

Try the old CPU out first. I tell you to check your jumper but some boards has no jumper and it set by the bios. In this case put the old cpu in and update the Bios, make really sure to get the right one or you might not be able to boot your computer. Bios upgrade might fix problem with other faster cpu.

I've got a Compaq Presio 6627AU with a N1996 motherboard which in my case is a Microstar 6553 motherboard. My on board sound card did not work so after a lot of looking round went to The HP site and downloaded SP24496.EXE
I now have sound.

Whatever the outcome is, I would like to hear about it...interesting situation...and I understand your frustration...ruins a good build...

microstar 6553

I don't know if this helps at all but I too have a compaq with the microstar 6553 mobo...needless to say I had the same problem when i tried to upgrade my cpu from an athalon 1600 to an athalon 2400. The 2400 cpu that I bought came with its own heatsink & fan...That is what I used when I did the original install. This is when my computer started to shut down after only 10 secs....Then I decided to use the original heatsink & fan that came with the computer & the 1600 cpu. Low & behold it worked...I think that the powersupply didn't have enough juice for the heatsink & fan that came with the 2400 cpu. If you don't have the original heatsink & fan that came with the computer I would suggest getting a stronger power supply as the original powersupply that comes with the computer is only 200watts...Anyways I've used the computer for about 10 hours straight with the old heat sink & fan & so far so good...No problems at all...however I am going to try to upgrade my powersupply to 300watts & retry the new heat sink & fan to see if it will work...I'll keep you guys posted

Greetings all,

just registered with this forum. Got some info regarding this MS-6553 motherboard. The one I got came from a compaq computer (got it off ebay).

The board WILL power up. I'm using a 400watt power supply and just have the standard 20-pin and the 4-pin 12v connectors in place. I didn't have to use the "special" 2-pin connection next to the ATX power to get it to run.

My problem right now is that the system is running my AMD Athlon 1.0 ghz @ 1.33ghz (133fsb - 266DDR) and I can't seem to change it back, or change the cpu parameters at all. The onboard video works and that's about as far as I've gotten.

If anyone else who's read/replied to this thread knows how to play with this BIOS in particular.....I'd appreciate the help too as I don't want to run my cpu out of spec for too long.

Thanks and hopefully what info I've provided will help.

ms 6553 mbo

i have never heard that hp has there own ps i have heard that dell rewires theres i have had an hp machine and when i tried to up grade the cpu it would not post even though the mbo was supposed to support higher i think that they either lock the board down or it did not support the cpu

I have a compaq 6029US with the MS6553 board in it. the power supply was dying so i did the swap out to a new case and power supply. my answer to the 2 pin plug next to the 20 pin power plug is to adapt to 4 pin straight from power supply as this plug energizes the cpu fan circuit. i have had it running in new case for 2 weeks now and no trouble. i eventualy will be putting a new motherboard and have complete new build.

I am having a similiar issue with my son's Compaq PC with the MS-6553 mobo.
I bought a new case with power supply, took the motherboard out of the compaq and placed it in the new case. Everything is setup except for "Power LED, HDD LED, Power SW, Reset" I cannot seem to find out how they are to be placed on this mobo, the combinations I been trying to do is not working. Can anyone help me? Thank you for your time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back