Building first gaming PC

Ancelot327

Hello comunity, im trying to build a PC where i can play with no problems, i know a little about computers but opinions will be very helpful. I like games like, Call of Duty, World of Warcraft, F.E.A.R, Elder Scrolls, etc. We all know these games need nice RAM, video card and a good cpu. I need some guidance for this thing. Here is some hardware that i already have in mind. I will appreciate nice answers.

Mobo:

ASUS M4A88T-M Motherboard - AMD 880GX, Socket AM3, mATX, DDR3, RAID, SATA, VGA, DVI, HDMI

CPU:

AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition AM3 CPU HDZ965FBGMBOX - 3.40GHz, Socket AM3, 6MB Cache, 2000MHz (4000 MT/s) FSB, Retail

RAM:

Crucial PC8500 1066MHz 6GB DDR3 Triple Channel Desktop Memory Kit - 6144MB (3 x 2048MB), 240 Pin

I also want to know how that ram latency affect the games?

Triple channel memory will only work in Intel motherboards. The motherboard you have listed and processor are both AMD and they will work very fine for you. You are aware that the motherboard is a Micro one, correct?

What is your budget?

ok then i go with 4gb ram ( 2x 2048) matx that means is a small mobo? if thats the case dunno if i will have problems with the video card i have in mind? budget is around 1,200. mobo and cpu cost around $310. both of them.

Yes, mATX means a micro/smaller board. What video card are you looking at? Will you need all the parts including case, monitor, keyboard, mouse, etc.?

This is the video card:

Asus ENGTS450DIRECTCUDI1G GeForce GTS 450 DirectCU Video Card - 1024MB GDDR5, PCI-Express 2.0, DVI, HDMI, VGA, SLI, DirectX 11, Fermi

I have Monitor, keyboard, mouse, speakers. I saw some Mid-Towers that are compatible with matx, and also full towers but i dont need one yet :p

Okay, are you familiar with NewEgg.com? By the way, we take it that you'll need an operating system as well. If so, go with Windows 7 64-bit.

Ya i have the OS , i was checking the PC parts in tigerdirect.com , i gave an eye on newegg.com, actually i found a better mobo for the same price or i mean better price.

ASUS M4N75TD AM3 NVIDIA nForce 750a SLI ATX AMD Motherboard

Hi Ancelot :wave:,

Just a few of questions for ya, will you be reusing your old monitor or buying a new one? What resolution will you be using? The video card you chose is a decent one, but for a gaming system I think you can do better.

Also you mention World of Warcraft, are you just a casual player or someone who is a big raider and spends quite a bit of time in Azeroth?

And could you layout your entire build for us with links to the specific hardware? It'll make it easier for us to make changes and find you better alternatives if need be. A budget of $1200 should be more then enough for a quality gaming PC.

Yes, therefore you don't need a SLi motherboard. For example as you consider, minus the memory due to the fact I don't have time to research for the motherboard at this time.

Case - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119196

CPU - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103675

Harddrive - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136284

Motherboard - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131651

Power Supply - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139006

Video Card - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130566

Grand Total minus RAM = $527.00 and this includes shipping with much of the items free shipping. I don't know if you'll be charged tax. it depends on where you live.

*** As you can see, and as Relic points out, with $1200 you can do quite well. The above simply shows that you can build a really good gaming system without breaking the bank with serious cash left over.

I had a Dell, desktop it was a pretty good one but it was his time to pass out. It was a Pentium 4 3.2 Ghz, 1 gb RAM and a 128 MB video card, really good PC back then, but i was starting to have lagg on raids in WoW and then the hard drive blew up. Those parts from newegg are really nice and a fair price. My current monitor is a 20" samsung. Not the latest one but a good one, ill be staying with the one i have for now, till i have another budget for a decent monitor. And yes i spent a loot of time in Azeroth especially bringing doom to Stormwind and Ironforge :p

a sli mobo is supossed to help with graphics? or not?

If you spend most of your time in World of Warcraft especially now with the Cataclysm expansion I would recommend looking at an Intel setup rather then an AMD one. This performance guide shows some pretty big advantages towards Intel and for slightly more I would say it's worth it. Here is an i5 build that should perform quite well.

Case: Storm Scout - $90 - Cases are pretty subjective but I just went with Route44s suggestion as I personally use it and love it.
CPU: i5-760 Lynnfield 2.8GHz Quad-Core - $205
Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-P55A-UD3 - $115
RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800 - $65
HDD: Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB - $70
PSU: Antec NEO ECO 520W - $55
Optical Drive: Lite-On 24X iHAS324 DVD - $20

Video Card: GTX 460 768 MB or GTX 460 1GB

Depending on the resolution you play on with that 20inch monitor I would say one of those cards would fit your needs well.

TOTAL: $620 + ~ $150-$200 depending on the card selection.

Do you have Windows 7 64-bit? You don't specify in the above post, and I would recommend it for this system.

a sli mobo is supossed to help with graphics? or not?

A SLI motherboard by itself no, however running a SLI setup will improve performance but it will likely vary from game to game.

Nice system Relic. :)

I'd drop for an extra lot of the same RAM as well, due to the prices being so low at the moment, and 8GB being the ideal sweet spot for double channel setups.

I'd also be tempted to go for the 1GB GTX460, as it will offer the performance to run full HD resolution in the future when you decide to upgrade your monitor.

With the price of that system I would also recommend a SSD as your primary OS/software drive, and the Samsung F3 Spinpoint for all your documents. You can get a good 90-128GB SSD for around $200.00 I'd imagine.

I'd drop for an extra lot of the same RAM as well, due to the prices being so low at the moment, and 8GB being the ideal sweet spot for double channel setups.

Ya RAM is going so low I am very much tempted to do that myself in my own system as I only run 4GB.

Ya RAM is going so low I am very much tempted to do that myself in my own system as I only run 4GB.

I would be too, but I'm currently using 4x 1GB sticks, and its DDR2 800. I'm seriously tempted to order 12/24GB of DDR3 at the prices they are right now though! Its like half the price it was 6 months ago!

I am in agreement with Leeky about another 4 gigs of RAM. As has been stated it is really inexpensive right now and I believe red1776 posted an artical here about 8gigs being the new standard for gaming.

Of course, this depends on what kind of gaming you do.

Can you guys comment on the Samsung Spinpoint harddrives please? I really know nothing about quality as compared to WD and Seagate but IU've noticed lately a number system builders choosing this brand.

I am in agreement with Leeky about another 4 gigs of RAM. As has been stated it is really inexpensive right now and I believe red1776 posted an artical here about 8gigs being the new standard for gaming.

Of course, this depends on what kind of gaming you do.

Ya Tom's Hardware has a great article about it being time to upgrade to 8GBs especially with the current prices.

Back